Athena speaker setup and klipsch sub

Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 1
Hey all, I have Athena AS-F1'S AS-C1 and two AS-R1'S with a klipsch ksw-10 and a Yamaha htr-5790 receiver. My problem is that I have to krank up the volume on the sub as high as it can go with the crossover at 80hz and the db at +10 and it's not that noticable in most cases. I've checked the manual to see what I can do but so far everything Ive tried doesnt seem to work. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1595
Eric,
Double check the subwoofer channel-level on your receiver on screen menus. You will also make sure the sub-out is activated. Have you run through the YPAO setup process since you've connected the sub???

If that doesnt work, try connecting the sub to another receiver to test to see if the sub or cable is at fault.

You should notice an obvious difference with the sub activated.

Anoy-nymous
Unregistered guest
Don't listen to Paul, just get a NAD HT receiver ...heh

Post Number: 2
Lol i would love to get a nad receiver but i just dropped some cash on a denon dvd player. Paul...Ive run the crappy YPAO a few times, it fucks up the equalizer and gives some strange layouts for frequencies. I hooked up the sub to my old sony receiver and gave that a shot and the same results. The sub light is always green, it never goes red. If I were to get a NAD what would a good one cost and where could i get one?

thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 202
Check out NADs on www.saturdayaudio.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1598
If that's the case, you should replace the sub with a better one. I wouldnt recommend a NAD because they have reliability and quality control issues. They're known for flooding the market with defective product.

Anoy-nymous
Unregistered guest
Like I said "Don't listen to Paul, just get a NAD HT receiver ...heh" lol...

Rick is right, the folks at www.saturdayaudio.com are extremely nice or you can try www.yawaoline.com as well both are NAD authorized dealers. But stay away from www.amsound.com as they are a bunch of crooks !

Good luck

Anoy-nymous
Unregistered guest
sorry www.yawaonline.com

Post Number: 3
I was looking at the NAD's and it seems for AV i have to spend around $600 just starting at their lowest level and they dont have any used ones. Ill probably look into getting a new sub but im kinda mixed on which ones. Im looking at Klipsch reference subs, Wharfdale, Axiom so far but Im having a hard time on which ones. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

eric

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 942
I own a Klipsch system except for the sub. I think you get an equal sub for half-price compared to Klipsch by going Hsu indeed. Just my two cents.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1603
You should check the NAD graveyard, and get one of them repaired. The good news is that there are a ton of broken down models to choose from since they always on the blink.

Like the other person said who made the analogy comparing the NAD receivers to the RX7 automobile.

I believe the quote was "It's a hell of a lot of [fun to drive/sounds great], but an unreliable piece of sh!t guaranteed to break down."

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 946
Paul does like to use irony!

Erik, you started about the sub and are now on to receivers? Is that intentional on your part? Because I think Anoy-nymous simply mentioned NAD to get a bite from Paul. Anoy-nymous likes to provoke and said as much in another thread...

Post Number: 5
Oh, since im new i dont know who are the pink panthers on this forum. I asked about the different subs i was interested in and no one gave me any feedback yet. I was looking at NAD's but i like my Yamaha a lot and it sounds great with my Athenas once i used the equalizer.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 949
Well, to get back on track... I think something is wrong. A Klipsch KSW-10 should give you something!

It sounds like either your receiver isn't giving out the proper signal or that the sub doesn't work correctly. Is this using a DVD with 5.1 output (Dolby Digital or DTS using a digital output)?

Does it have speaker-level inputs that you could try?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1204
Eric,

just FYI, Anon is winding up Paul by bringing up NAD so that Paul will rag on NAD in order to wind up the rest of the forum, as is his infamous habit. Just silly slapstick stuff, ignore the both of them.

Now as for your sub, I can't really help you there but just wanted to say that if you end up replacing the Klipsch, I'd definitely look into Internet-direct subs-only manufacturers like Hsu and SVS if you're looking for maximum bang for your HT buck.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 953
Ed, do you also think that something is strange, having to max out levels to get tny output from his sub? I think that avenue would be clarified before any real money is spent, just to be sure of the cause...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1208
yeah Peter that IS strange, but it could also depend on how bad the sub is, among other things.

I know that with my crappy JBL sub I often want to crank it up to near maximum volume---half because it's a wimpy little thing and half because my room is so huge and the wimpy little thing is sitting in probably the worst possible spot in that room.

In a couple of months I may be moving to a different place where I'll have a dedicated HT room of far more manageable size, which almost makes up for the humongous pain in the @ss of packing and unpacking!

I haven't heard the Klipsch sub, but generally I would tend to think that when speaker companies make subs they can afford to half-@ss it since they figure that their dealers will simply sell the sub to "match" their speakers, as compared to a specialized sub company for which subs are their bread and butter.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 955
There's truth to that Ed, for sure. And it's a 10-inch model too. But still it seems wrong. When people mention this sub on the Klipsch forum, it is described as boomy and unmusical but not really as inaudible! (There are better Klipsch subs, but they are much more expensive)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1617
Eddie,
At least you have a sub that matches your TV.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1213
Paul, how old are you, are you losing your memory? To match my TV I'd need to have a PANASONIC sub, but Panasonic doesn't make any subs other than the ones they bundle with their HTIBs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1214
Eric,

Last-ditch diagnostic suggestion: Hook the sub up to another receiver (a friend or neighbor?). If the problem disappears then you know it's your Yammy. You will need a strong back to lug the sub around though, but it might save you an expensive trip to the repair shop.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1621
Sorry Eddie.....

When I said they were matching, I was implying they were both 'halfpints'. Can you comprehend the similarities? I realize that you have a mental handicap(liberalism), but please bear with me and try to keep up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1622
LOL

Eddie, read the 1st response in this thread. C'mon, you need to stop lagging behind!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1215
oops sorry Paul, I usually DON'T read your posts very carefully since they're usually all variations of the same theme.

By which I mean, no matter if you're 1. bashing NAD, 2. bashing bookshelf speakers, 3. bashing non-Retardicans, or 4. bashing SOMETHING, your posts all boil down to the same consistent primal bawling:

"ME! ME! ME! MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!"

Just a friendly observation, Paul...

Post Number: 6
Hey all, just a quick update...tried different dvd's with DD and DTS and nothing seems to have changed. I checked all the plugs in the back and have the dial at 11 for volume and crossover at 80hz on the sub and on the receiver. My room is a 12x15 on the second level of a house. I hooked up the sub to my old sony receiver and the same outcome...im pretty pissed at this point but they i remembered that the sub was alittle damaged when it was shipped to me from ebay.....gehy i know..I was looking at the HSU subs and those looked really nice and had some great specs..what do you guys think about the STF-2?

thanks again all

Eric

Gold Member

Post Number: 1217
The STF-2 should do very nicely for a 12x15 room. Sorry about the eBay misfortune, I've been very lucky with them so far but I know that others have not.

Post Number: 7
One thing I noticed was my old sub was the AP-300 by athena it was completely unnoticable in my room, but when I gave it to my brother as a gift in his house it sounded freakin boomy as hell, especially for an 8in woofer on a sony receiver. Im wondering if its the fact that the room has a fairly hollow floor compared to a room on the 1st level. Maybe I should try different placement and fool around with that if it would make a difference

Gold Member

Post Number: 1221
Eric,

Yeah placement makes a world of difference for subs. Whoa, that reminds me: my usually-wimpy sub is also in a second floor room!

If your Klipsch is downfiring, some companies do make special mats that you can put under the sub to enhance the sound---I don't know much about them but I'm sure Art or Jan could help you out on that, just PM them.

Post Number: 8
lol good to know im not the only one in that area. Ill see how it sounds in some other areas and if that doesnt work ill pm art or jan...whoever they are hehe

thanks a bunch

eric

Ricky Republican
Unregistered guest
Ed is a Liberal? Oh my God, I actually took some advise from his a couple of weeks ago!

Liberals are incapable of rational thought; they operate on their emotions instead of logic, this is why scientist & engineers are NEVER liberals and flute players and artist always are. Not to many Mensa Cards can be found in the wallets of Liberals.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 607
Not that I condone ricky retardo's statements, but Ed I think that Paul has enough content to take a smack at without bringing your own swipes at politics to a SPEAKERS thread.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 248
Yea, agreed Joseph, hope they keep the politics BS off this forum.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 609
There's no need for it. We are here with a common interest and it just makes everyone take a side when comments like that arise.

Silver Member

Post Number: 249
It won't make me take a side, they are all crooks and liars(politicians) regardless of party.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 616
Thats taking a side, a negative neutral one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
So be it Joseph, with skeletons coming out of closets all the time on the news, it brings out a certain amount of negativity,sorry no apology for that.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 618
no apology needed, just making a point of a side taken.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us