Need help again ...please help

Bronze Member
Username: Jayosa

Post Number: 20
i was reading this site on setting up 5.1 surround sound...i read this part about hookin up the dvd player to the reciever..it said u can even use older rca cables to hook up in the digital inputs an get 5.1 surround...so i tried it and i was amazed i was getting 5.1 with them..the reason i was amazed was cuz the sales guy at futureshop told me i needed to buy the digital coaxel cord to get the 5.1...and that cord costed me $30.00 canadian brand 'monster'....if i would have known my old rca cord can do the same job i prob wouldnt of bought those 'monster'...becuz i cant realy turn it up loud to test it i was wondering does the sound the older rca cord give the same as the digital coaxel monster cord give ...or is buying digital coaxel cables a scam since older rca cables do the same thing ..please help ..

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1185
a digital coax cable is only necessary for DVD watching, yes it's true that you won't get full Dolby decoding with an RCA cable.

The RCA cables are fine for your other music components though: RCA cables, turntables, tape decks, etc.

Monster is the Bose-scam of cables, beware. $30 for a lousy digital cable is a joke, just go to Walmart and buy a Phillips digital cable, should run you maybe $15 tops.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 197
Yeah Monster sucks except for their budget 12 guage speaker wire and except their entry level RCAs.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 929
Edster, I think you misunderstood. He is using the regular RCA audio cable as a coax digital patch and he is getting 5.1 out of it.

Jay, there are people who can tell the difference between coax cables. I have used plain audio cables before instead of a coax cable (because a run was already strung through walls) and it does work. It's a digital bit stream that is decoded at the receiver, so if it didn't work the signal could simply would not get decoded at all. The fact that it works tells you something.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
do u mean then that regular rca cables are good enough since it opens up the 5.1 channels.... cuz the sales guy told me that only the digital coax cable can open up the 5.1...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
i guess what im realy askin is ..would i get all the sound effects the same using rca cables..ya i know they both open up 5.1 but is the sound qulity the same or will i be missing sound effect the digital cable could give
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us