Totem

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 532
Oh man I knew you guys were bad for me. I just got back from Alternative Audio in Norcross GA and had to call the other shop I had ordered the Bohlender/graebner z-1's from and cancel them (they were also delivering them alot later than originally told). The reason for this wishy washiness- Totem Rainmaker . Oh wow I just spent an hour listening to these puppies and spent twice the price of the BG's. I ordered a mohogany pair and I pick them up friday. These little beaut's give so much out of a small package it is almost unreal. Most companies can deliver good low end extension from small cabinets but most also usually fall flat at the midrange. These do not, they are so wonderful to listen to. Anyway, just had to rave cause I know I made the right choice that will last a while. You guys know how it goes, you buy something then you upgrade and unless you "really upgrade" you'll just buy something else not so long down the road. So I said stuff it get the best you can afford. Very happy.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 904
Totem Acoustics are in Montreal. I should really check them out considering they are from my neck of the woods.

Username: Iknownuttin

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 4
Yes, I also like the Totems. For me it was a toss up between the Totem Sttaf and MicroWalsh Tall's. The Shawman were jaw dropping for the price (everything is relative here). I couldn't afford those (nor do I have the space) so I looked at the rest of the lineup (Arro, Sttaf, Hawk, Forest and the bookshelf Rainmaker). I found that the Sttaf was quite exceptional for the price (once you negotiate it down from its MSRP) and the Rainmaker was very surprising for a bookshelf. My friend almost took them home but he would have had to deal with the missus. In the end I chose the MicroWalsh Tall's (see my thread for my reasons). I'm sure that you will enjoy their sound for a very long time and finish is second to none. Let us know how long they took to break in.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 156
Yeah they usaully take avery long time to brek in.My Dreamcatcher took about 250 hours along time for speaker that costs $400.I bought the Arros after owning the Dreamcatchers it took around 400 hours for the Arros,but boy was it worth it,one of the great deals in high end speakers,one of the most revealing speakers I know,along with a soundstage and imaging to die for Quite incredible for the money.Suprising bass extention very detailed,great resolution.That Vince Bruzze he is on to something!

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 6
Tauwaun, what do you have your Totems hooked up to? I checked you profile but they aren't listed. As you know I'm looking into getting an amp for my MicroWalsh and I'm currious what others who own similar speakers use. The Arro had similar response (although the Sttaf are a better match).

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 637
Well, that's a turn up for the books. Your dealer will be happy, and so will you be! A couple of tips for you about RainMakers -

1. The biwire strips between the low and high frequency connections do not help the speaker at all. Remove them and use a couple of small strips of good wire to link the low and high frequencies. You should be surprised at the difference.

2. Setting up: Start with them only very slightly toed in. Then play a track with a soloist or singer who should be dead centre. Something simple such as Eva Cassidy. If the singer sounds vague, toe in the speakers a very little until s/he snaps into focus. Note: When the speakers aren't run in, they will be more vague than when they are run in. After a week or so, check the toe-in again. The less toe-in the better the spread of the soundstage.

My Totems arrived today. They're Mani2 Signatures (next up the range are Winds and then Shamans) and they're very good out of the box! Very unexpected. Me happy, me very very happy. Vince (lovely chap) really knows how to design speakers. Can't wait until they're run in (allegedly in my next life).

John, if the Microwalshes are similar to the Totems in terms of impedance and drive (difficult), then you want an amp that can swing current. I use a huge amp, but an Arro or Sttaf gets good results with things like Naim Nait5i, Arcam 90 or FMJ, Rega Cursa/Maia and the Cyrus 8.

Regards,
Frank.

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 7
Hi Frank,

Over here the Mani2 (a play on the word Manitou or great spirit) are bookshelves while Shawman and WInds are floorstanding. I didn't hear those but I did hear the Model 1. Very impressive, quite a few notches above the Rainmaker, not putting down the Rainmaker's just remarking on just how good the Model 1 are. That said, they are on the pricey side for me. Apparently the Mani2 are superior to the Model 1, yet they are positioned below on their website and probably priced accordingly. That is a great bonus that they are listenable right out of the box. I found breaking in my MicroWalsh a painfull exercise.

The great thing about the Ohm's is that they can be driven with a low end amp and sound very very good but they really start to shine if you use a better amp. There isn't much selection here in Ottawa unless you are willing to spend $8k plus for the locally manufactured Wyetech Labs :-(. I'll have to go to Montreal or Toronto to hear some of the amps you are refering to.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 537
Frank, could I not also run a set of bi-wire's to the two sets of posts and get the same or better result?
also do you think a vintage NAD 3240 in mint would be fine for these??

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
See John here is something you should understand about Totems,dont look at the price tag and think you can compare them.Vince Buzzee builds speakers different,hi line is not like other lines a speaker slightly at the next price point up,No thats not how he designs his speakers they all just have different sonic attributes.Its very possible for someone here is a example,someone could possibly perfer the arro to the Wind thats the way his speakers are thats one of things that make each and everyone of them special.The Arro for instance is the most touchy of all of them source,wires ,sockets in the wall everything.And contrary to their power rating they love power lots of it they love current just as Ohms does but thats only half of the story.I first had my Nad 320bee,541i on them they played good,but not anywhere near as good as they played on Musical Fidelity 3.2 gear at my friends shop,and then he got the Unison Unico intergrated amp and cd player in so I took them home to play with them Wow! still to this day that was the best set up I ever had I should have bought the Unison gear from him I could have got them cheap I stll regret that.So Isold arros because I couldnt find that magic with other gear still regreat that to.So what tm really saying here take the Micros around to the stores with you to audition them so you can find that magic.You will like this John I just ordered the Micros,I think i got a good starting place for them fi it doesent work search until I find something that will.Remember Totems,Ohms Current,Quality,and Source.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 12
Cool Tawaun, I appreciate the info. I commented on the other thread without reading this one first. I guess I'm going to have to haul the silly things to Montreal. Not so bad since they are not very heavy and fit easily in my car. I'm hoping to go sometime in August, usually a slow month for Audio so maybe I'll find a hungry dealer or two. I'll have to come up with a short list of brands then contact a few dealers and setup an appointments. Can life get any sweeter?

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
Well I will look up some that matches their sonic attributes and I'll get with you,Enjoy the Micros!

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 546
Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! I have my rainmakers and they are making rain in my eyelids! These things are truly delightful and they have not even broken in yet.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 630
Now these things have broken in , my eyes just keep flowing. Could not be happier with a $1000 pair of books. If you have the means, I suggest you listen, they are so choice.

Username: Eyeswideshut

Abubala , Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 8
Totum sucks. I couldn't find them at Fry's, which has everything thats really good. They sell Bose and Sony, but no Totem. So that must mean they aren't very good.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1173
LOL!!!

Username: Eyeswideshut

Abubala , Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 10
Totum sucks. I couldn't find them at Fry's, which has everything thats really good. They sell Bose and Sony, but no Totem. So that must mean they aren't very good.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1287
ahem!!!

NOTE: my imposter is listed as Bronze Member with a different Username and also different Post number and Registered date.

clever little bugger, whoever he/she/it is...

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1295
Yep, the imposter Edster922 is actually Alfonso (username: Eyeswideopen) who is the same Anoy-Nymous that I whacked here:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/147720.html

poor poor baby, he didn't like gettin' whupped...LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us