Avant Loudspeakers

Username: Teched

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone,

I have a pair of 3-way Avant loudspeakers that were offered in Canada circa 1978. They are dedicated Left-Right, with 12" bass drivers.

Of course, the foam on the bass drivers has long since rotted, and I'm looking to either refoam them, or toss them. The issue I'm facing is that Avant used foam surrounds that were concave (bulge inward) as opposed to the conventional convex (bulge outward) foam on most other speakers.

There is only a small population of these speakers (mostly in Canada) and Avant is no longer in business... I'm concerned that a conventional foam repair concept may not be appropriate. None of the foam repair outfits list Avant as a manufacturer, and no one I spoke to would confirm that their conventional foam could be used "turned around" so to speak.

Any advice or links on this topic would be appreciated. I'm also interested if there are any enthusiast or vintage audio websites out there that have info on Avant speakers. My mind has long since forgotten all the data on these.

Thanks,

Juergen

Unregistered guest
I can't beleive it. Someone else has the same AVANT speakers I have. Although I beleive my woofers are 15 in. Same problem - the foam has literally disintegrated. I was hoping on just replacing the woofer. Any luck with that idea

mick
Unregistered guest
haha i got the same speakers and the exact sme thing happed to me the foam just crumpled off and im mad cause im only 15 and i dont have a lot of money so if someone can tell me if it is wort it and how much it will cost
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us