Do terminations really make a difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 64
Ok guys lets not get into another one of those cable wars here but does the quality of banana plugs really make that much of a difference in the sound of speakers?

Also, is "commoning" biwire cables to a single termination (banana plug/spade) a good idea? Can I common two runs of cable into any banana plug or do I need to look for something different.

I'm using QED Silver Anniversary biwire cables to connect my Wharfedale 8.1s to my Marantz SR4400.

Die Poopenchuten
Unregistered guest
The difference among nanners is probably minimal at best. Bare-wire is the best connection for sound quality though.

As for commoning, sounds like a waste of a bi-wire cable to me.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 153
I disagree, I dont't know if bare wire vs. banana plugs make any difference in sound quality, because a good connection is still a good connection. What you get with the convinience of the Banana plugs and the ability to keep bare wire out of reach so that they don't cross however makes the banana plugs much better.

Have you tried to shove in 14 gauge wires bare wires into the back of most receivers?

Die Poopenchuten
Unregistered guest
I don't dispute the usefulness of nanners, but if someone is just going to plug them in once and leave them, bare wire is cheaper (sometimes by quite a bit), and still is still the superior connection (whether you can hear it or not).

As for crossing the positive and negative wires, do you think Shahrukh is an idiot? In years of using bare wire, and knowing plenty of other people who use bare wire, I have never heard once of someone doing that.

As for the receivers ability to receive bare wire, I suppose it depends on the receiver, but I havn't had a problem with that either.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 126
Yeah you may lose some conveniencewith barwire,but with a quality wire there will be a sound difference,but idea is to get the best connection for sound quality not not asthetics.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Die, why do you say commoning is a waste? I only wanna use the terminations at the receiver end (it's true, shoving in two wires is a problem). As for the speakers they'll continue to be bare, my only worry being oxidation. I have some cheap nanners at home but the QED guys insist I go in for their special "airlock" plugs. Was a lil confused.

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 140
QED airlock plugs are generally a good idea - prevents oxidisation.
Though if you want to have two cables going into the banana plug then they are going to have a difficult job making the seal airtight.
May be better to use the bananas which you have, but leave enough spare cable to allow chopping off the oxidised bit every so often.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
QED airloc plugs are bluddy expensive. Is it really worth spending so much on banana plugs???

Anonymous

5ijd okdk d;ld

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 250
The only reason I use banana plugs is because I'm constantly swapping speakers. I've noticed after a while they start to loosen up and vibrate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us