NAD 320BEE vs C352 with Epos M5

Username: Londoner

Post Number: 1
I've seen alot of debate on these NAD amps on this site so I thought that I would share my experience with them.

My System:
- NAD 541i CD
- NAD C352 Amp
- Epos M5 bookshelf speakers

I recently picked up a pair of used Epos M5's and I wanted to run them from a dedicated stereo amplifier rather than my Yamaha 5.1 receiver. Having seen many favorable reviews on the NAD amps (what hifi, hifichoice), I decided to purchase one (I already had the 541i, so it would be a good match)

I went to my local NAD dealer and I ended up buying the cheapest model, the NAD 320bee. After a week of listening to it, this is what I thought:
-crystal clear vocals
-tight bass, but hardly any weight to it
-higher frequencys were harsh at times
-rock music just wasn't exciting anymore

I was quite disappointed with the 320bee, so I returned it and shelled out a bit more for the c352. What a difference! This amp fixed all of the problems I had with the c320bee.
-vocals were still crystal clear, but also became silky smooth
-bass was still tight, but with much more weight
-high frequency harshness disappeared
-rock music was exciting again

I think the reason for the difference, is partly because the M5's are harder to drive(4ohm). It seemed like the 320bee had to fight to drive the M5's while the c352 made the task seem effortless.

The 320bee may be good for 8ohm speakers, but not for 4ohm speakers like the Epos.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 276
The 320BEE IS no problem for 4 ohm speakers it is just that you have a better amplifier (352) to run them with. The 352 is a step up in sound.

Nice choice of speakers I must say. I came very close to buying their towers last year!

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 260
I agree. Most modern entry-level amps have sufficient power to drive just about any speakers but a more expensive amp is always likely to sound better than a cheaper one. The C 352 doesn't just "drive your speakers better" - it's a better sounding amp period.

nostromo
Unregistered guest
Exactly my experience with c320bee.. clear sound but light, pithy bass.. and with absolutely no 'attack' whatsoever... rock music really does sound bland

nostromo
Unregistered guest
And this was with 8 ohm 90/db sensitivity castle speakers.. so it is not an impedence issue.. as the castles are easy to drive, the amp just sounds boring

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1053
Greg sounds like you have a wonderful system, very musical and inexpensive. The Epos speakers are a great value.

You're expereince with the smaller NAD integrated sounds like a common one. It's a good budget amp but if you can stretch the budget as you did, you are rewarded sonically. Thanks for posting your experience.

Bronze Member
Username: Quadstar

Post Number: 14
I have previously posted my experience of the NAD C320BEE and C370. I take back my word.. I prefer the C370 now. It gives me more listening pleasure and I get to hear more details, bits and pieces here and there and I love the airy midrange, vocals sounded so sweet and it definately has bigger sound stage. It has much tighter bass and better kick!! Even though, the NAD C320BEE sounds like it has more bass, it is not as natural. The C370 is just being honest.

At the moment, I can live without sub. However, getting a sub may add richness to my listening pleasure.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 261
Thanks for that assessment Edward, it's exactly how I feel. The C370 has a wonderful airy midrange and it's a lot more detailed even than the C372 that replaced it. I think you hit the nail on the head saying it's an honest amp, after all that's getting you closer to the music. If you want big overpronounced bass, go get a cheap midi system from your local department store. That's what the masses do! They want exaggerated bass etc but audiophiles demand to get closer to how the music is meant to sound. If you have the right speakers attached to your C370 and a decent source, slap on a real bass-heavy track and your Nad will give you bass. It just gives what's on the record without any embellishments.

Bronze Member
Username: Quadstar

Post Number: 16
hi, i am pairing the amp to my much loved dyna 42.

Bronze Member
Username: Skareb

Post Number: 18
I've got the NadC320BEE for 14 days and ended up upgrading to the NADC352 yesterday.

The 352 produce more realistic sound of instrument and vocals, the staging is bigger and music sound more alive.

The nad320bee sound good at low volumn compared to 352, if you listen mostly to slow songs at low volumn go for the 320bee. But it tends to hv a unrealistic bass boast so innitially it sounded good but after a while I still prefer natural bass as it should be.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 144
Well it seems that all of you are selling 320bee short,the 352 is the replacement for the 350 which the 320bee was superior to inevery way,and I dissagree the 372 is better than the 370,all of the new ones are based off of the 320bee and many people that I know chose the 320bee over the 370 and the price was not the deciding factor.

nout
Unregistered guest
What is better is a personal preference.

NAD sucks anyway, get a Marantz amp ;)

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
We are talking about 2 channel go to the home theater side.Marantz 2 chennel days are over,they sold out.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 302
Nout........NAD sucks! Oh boys......here we go again! Another one who knows it all!

nout
Unregistered guest
Nout........NAD sucks! Oh boys......here we go again! Another one who knows it all!

*sigh*
Look at ;)

It's a wink! Ofcourse NAD doesn't suck

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Nout,you really seem to be a Nad fan according to your pasts post.The Marantz pm 7200 is that sold in the us yet,thts the one that goes into class a mode right?

nout
Unregistered guest
To my knowledge (although I'm not from the US) it is still sold in the US, but only the ugly black version (not the champagne)
And it's the one with the class a option.
Why do you wanna know?

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
My dad has been wanting to know if it eas ever comming over here,he was real interested inthe class A option because he didnt want to spend the money on the Sudgen the price keeps going up it every time you look at a mag.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 262
Having owned a PM7200, I can say with some experience that the class A circuit seems to do nothing whatsoever for the sound. The amp is great but it is no different running in A/B or A to these ears. A gimmick me thinks. Still a great sounding amp but don't buy it for the class A facility, listen to it first and see if you like it.

nout
Unregistered guest
Ok, well the opinions about Marantz's class a are mixed: most people don't hear any difference between class a and ab ith this amp. Some think it makes the amp sound like a $1000 amp.

I was sceptical too, didn't hear a difference at all and never used it for a year or so, but recently I tried it again, for the fun of it, and I heard differences.
Which mode is better I don't know, I still prefer plain AB, class a can sound too soft and liquid.

Does it sound like a $1000 amp? No, you can do better for a thousand quid.

By the way: I had a hard time deciding which amp to buy, the NAD C352 or the Marantz PM 7200.
Overall the NAD is the better amp, I admit that: better dynamics and more drive but I was charmed by Marantz' midrange: smooth and very natural and it has some nice colours in its music reproduction.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
You know its one thing I like about Nad although my Nad days are behind me,I will alway recomend them because they are a very safe amp,nothing spectacular just good clean sound and very friendly to various speaker matching options.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 303
Nout you had me worried for a minute. I guess I have to brush up on internet symbols...sorry about the comment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us