Playing music from my Mac Powerbook

Username: Wbd

Post Number: 6
I occasionally want to play music from itunes via my mac powerbook through my stereo. But it sounds like crap. Any ideas for improving matters? Is it the cable? Is it the output jack on the powerbook?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3302
It could be the file format. Go to iTunes "preferences" and import CD tracks using aiff, wav (at higher sample frequencies) or Apple Lossless. MP3 with default settings is not hifi, and aac is a little better. If you like those last two formats because of considerations of file size, choose the higher sample frequencies. CD is 44.1 kHz, 16 bit. If you make a copy at the same spec, it should sound as good as the CD itself from most CD players.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 705
Upgrade the soundcard to waveterminal u24 (about $160 on ebay)

What speakers are you using?

Swan m200 speaker is powered for only $163 on the web - the best sounding computer speaker out there now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=36-136-102&depa=0

If that doesn't do it for you, you can add a good amp - if still not satisfied, you can add a good DAC. If you want more, add a even better speaker (you probably don't have to go that far though)

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3319
I still think it is most probably the low-res default file format, James. Assuming WBD is happy with the stereo.

WBD - just experiment and find out what you have to change so that it no longer "sounds like crap". Is anything OK through the Powerbook? Like CD?

iTunes is one of those programs that makes itself the default for audio files, and then uses low-fi default settings - unless you tell it otherwise. The old Apple CD Player was better from that point of view.

Username: Wbd

Post Number: 7
Guys - thanks. I think it must be the cable or the output jack on the powerbook. I will change the cable (it has to be a Y cable from the single headphone out jack to the RCA inputs on the amp. The amp and speakers are fine - so that is not the problem. And when I play regular CDs from the Mac, the sound is not great, either, so I assume it is not the sampling rate or the format. Will keep you posted.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3332
Thank, WBD. I withdraw my suggestion, James!

Unregistered guest
I have Mac PowerBook G4. I wish to play my iTunes thru my home stero system. What do I need to do this? Thanks,

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 818
Just a cable from readio shack - explain to them what you want to do.

If you want quality sound, you can upgrade the sound card to waveterminal u24 from ebay.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3465
That is correct. The cable James refers to (which does not have to be from Radio Shack) has a mini-jack at one end, which plugs into the "Audio out" socket (with the headphones symbol) of the computer. The other end of the cable has whatever the home stereo system takes as an input. This could, for example, be another mini-jack, or, more likely, two RCA plugs (also known as "phono" plugs).

There are two other options I can think of.

1. A newer 17" powerbook has digital audio out, as a mini-jack socket that also takes an optical cable. If your home stereo has optical digital input, you can use that, but need to choose the correct optical cable to fit both ends; the computer and the stereo.

2. Apple Airport Express. You need an Airport card in the computer. You then have the same option - either analogue out or digital optical. I have one of these. It is really neat.

In both cases, for the digital connection, the sound is as then as good as the Digital-to-Analogue-Converter in the stereo system allows, I think.

Anonymous

I think the newer powerbooks have a proper line out but the older ones (like mine) do not. Using the headphone output will not produce good sound as noted by the original poster. The solution I have adopted is an iMic which costs about $30.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us