Help me please - Best system under £500

Username: Maidenx

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I am very new to the world of hifi and was doing some reading before I bought a new system - I read that micro and mini systems can NEVER sound as good as even basic component systems - is that true? I like to listen to a range of music (metal/classical/pop) most of which I have converted into MP3. Which is the best system (micro/mini/seperates) for under £500? It will be great if it can play mp3 as well and load multiple CDs.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
T George

PS: I have posted this in the Mini System section as well as I was not sure where it should go.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3301
It depends on what you have already, and on what you want your new system to do. For stereo, you can get two speakers, an amplifier, and a CD player that will add up to that total and, yes, probably be better than an all-in-one system of the same price. If you have a good hi-fi dealer in your area, then the staff should be able to give advice, and sell you suitable separate components.

Starbucks
Unregistered guest
I would think component Hi Fi is always better than micro or mini set. Component Hi Fi can produce good quality and clear sounds from the cd you played as well. Hence, quality sound place strong reliance on the CD itself too. If u going to play a lot of MP3,which is 128kps, then I dun think the component Hi Fi can reach the optimum output. Inversely, would not produce pleasant sounds. What u say ?

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 630
Tellis,

You're on the cusp of getting into separates. However, you could also lok at the best of the minis at this price. The best mini I know of is the Onkyo CR-505. This is a single shoebox item that has clock, CD, DAB, FM/AM radio and amp all built into it. It retails for £230 and will play MP3s. The unit works really well with a pair of B&W DM600 speakers at £200. This is a really strong combination. Add a pair of stands (say Atacama Nexus 6 at around £60) and some half decent speaker cable such as Chord Carnival at £2.75/m. This system works very well indeed. Musical, enjoyable, discreet - and it'll even wake you up in the morning.

For more quality, you could look at the NAD C521 CD player and NAD C320BEE amp. Paired with B&W DM303s or DM600s or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s (warmer presentation) you would have a good result, but this combination will put you back more than £500 and I haven't even mentioned interconnects and speaker cable yet. Richer Sounds has all these options as well as Cambridge Audio who seem to get a lot of good press. There's usually a Richer Sounds within an hour's drive.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Maidenx

Post Number: 4
Hi everyone, thanks for all the information so far. I realize that £500 can get me only the very basic seperates. Maybe I'll wait till by budget is a bit more and go for something better - I am very very tempted by the Arcam Solo + Arcam Alto.

Meanwhile I may checkout the Onkyo CR-505 as has been suggested by Frank.

Thanks!!

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 15
Nad L40 '+ B&W 601
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us