If I only have an amp rated at 100 Watts per channel -

Bronze Member
Username: Twochordcool

Post Number: 13
...would I get better performance out the Paradigm Titans, rated at a maximum of 100 Watts for a suitable amplifier?

...and should I "rule out" the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's that recommend an amplifier up to 200 Watts?

Would matching up an amplifier with the recommended maximum power of a speaker be wise / necessary?

Again, pardon my ignorance!

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 250
It is not the number of watts that necessarily make a speaker perform! A small speaker like the CBM-170 may push that a little with 200 watts but they only stress that thier equipment can handle this at clean power levels.

I would be more concerned about the quality of your source equipment to gain the sound you are looking for.

What do you have pushing your speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 60
Yeah and impedeance dips of speakers thats usually what gives recievers problems.What do you have a reciever or an amp?

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 553
Correct me if I wrong as I haven't been to sleep in just over 24Hrs, the more power to the loudspeaker say a loudspeaker rated at 175watts and running a 200watt amplifier for each channel, there will be only a few db more gain, plus the headroom extension as well that counts.

And just so long it's designed not to go into the danger zone, of under powering the loudspeaker and damaging the amp and the loud speakers, Jan not sure if you looking at this, though if I'm wrong then I'm wrong....

Man no sleep...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
I see what you are saying Andy,but from his speaker choices he listed he wont have much of a problem with a 100 watts now if he was trying to power some B&W 802s or something like that then,yeah he would have a huge problem.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 180
What Andy is saying, I believe, is that don't worry about over powering or matching power. The problem comes from underpowering. When an amp is driven too hard it distorts or 'clips.' This distortion is more often than not (I've heard as high as 90% of the time) what ruins a speaker. If you have a very large room with an under powered amp, then the chances are good that you will clip the amp, damaging the tweeters of the speakers.

Because we don't know what type of amp Timothy is using and what size room it is in, we cannot say if he'll be fine or not. This is because all amps aren't rated the same. If it is a NAD, Rotel, etc. amp in a normal to larger room, he shouldn't have any problems. If he is running a Sony, lower end Yamaha, etc amp in a regular to large room, then he may want to think about an upgrade.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 555
Plus getting to know you amplifier as well with a new amp and when running source program material like, Phone CD VHS Laserdisc and DVD's well.

Dynamic range, and boy I'm thinking about adding new PA amplifiers on to my home cinema set-up in the future, I have my eyes on some affordable ones at "Maplin Electronics" in Bournemouth at 200watts or was it 400watts I think it was 400watts I'll go for the 400watts, model don't remember the make or model number, but at around £299.00 pounds, I'm not going to start a riot over it they will be spot on over my ageing 2x MARANTZ 1050, and 1x MARANTZ 1030 chrome facer plate....

Yes they are 20yaers old and still running....

so if Timothy is looking at these for a new change to the sound damping factor the high the number the better, no...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Yeah,your right Stu thats why i asked what kind of amp or receiver he had.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1021
The Paradigm Titan will likely not hold up well to the Ascend anyway. It's not a good comparison.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 255
Distortion is the enemy for sure. You need an amp that has good dynamic range and a decent quality. I believe watts don't kill speakers but distortion does.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Art your about to get one started,LOOK OUT!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1024
Probably not Tawaun look at my profile I own Paradigms. I've owned some sort of Paradigm for better than 10 yrs either in a primary or secondary system. The Titan is a fine speaker. I put together a system for a coworker who wanted to spend $500 and not cent more which included a pair of Titans. Folks here know where I stand with Paradigm. This gives me an opportunity to say welcome aboard Tawaun. Hope you stay with us for awhile.

Edster911
Unregistered guest
I hope you go to hell Tawaun. I know where Dayton, Ohio is so dont make take a trip down there to see you and it wont be for audio. CAN YOU READ THAT AS....HOLE and yeah,I seen the list of your equipment IM NOT IMPRESSED.GOOD ENGLISH HUH?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1028
That's not the real Edster Tawaun, pay him no mind.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Well,thanks Art seing that we are but few african american guys on here nice to finally get welcome agood one at that so far i have been bashed to death,yeah i know you read the Snoop Dogg thing but thats ok i know i have vast knowledge in this hobby that also is part of my career so im ok.But anyway my Quality speaker was the Paradigm Atom,so i will always respect them and people that own them.That means they care about their hi fiand are passionate about thier system.What do you have as your main system right now?

Zorro
Unregistered guest
"I seen" lol ...I would not talk about good English...

Why the hate? He has done nothing to you...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
"The Paradigm Titan will likely not hold up well to the Ascend anyway. It's not a good comparison"

Can you explain why?

I was under the impression that they were comparable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Well you will have to ask Edster about the Ascends i have never heard them but they are better than the Athenas.Keep in mind the ascends dont do low bass you will need asub with them.The Titans are good to about 50 htz they may sound like they deeper than that but its an old trick from the Rogers they have abass hump in the midbass to make them sound like they go lower than they really do.Also to mask their limitedtop end extention.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1032
All of the gear in my profile is my main system. I use the NAD AVR as a source component in my 2 channel setup. The AVR is off completely when I'm running the 2 channel. When I listen to movies or multichannel music I turn on the AVR set the pre amp volume to a predetermined mark and listen away. I must be cautious and remember to turn down the volume on the pre before listening in 2 channel or I'll blow something up. It's worth it to me for the better 2 channel performance. I don't have room in my little house for 2 big systems.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 260
Is every thread now being sabotaged around here? Seems like we can't even carry on a staright conversation without some personal comments! What is going on?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 516
This is the way of the world Dan. Its like a roller coaster all of a sudden its going down hill with alot of screaming and then its all quiet going back up hill. It comes in waves and usually the idiots who post all the nonsense get bored and move on while the real people stay to talk about audio and electronics.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 261
I hope you are right!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1033
Timothy

The Paradigm Titan is a nice entry level speaker that costs very little, doesn't play very loud, and that makes alot of sonic compromises just to stay pleasant sounding. Actually the Atom is a more neutral sounding speaker. The Titan over emphasizes mid bass in an effort to sound fuller. The Ascend is aiming at an audience that wants greater neutrality and less compromises. It's also more expensive and considered a bargain at its price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Art, it sounds to me like you are saying that the CBM-170 is definitely a step up from the Titans - is thet what I am reading?

I'm going through a process of elimination and I am taking reviews, specs, and respectable opinions into account.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us