Cambridge Audio Azur line

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 25
Does anyone have any experience with the Azur line from Cambridge Audio? I noticed that they have a new AV receiver and DVD player out. They look good on paper (or on screen), but how do they perform? I'm looking to upgrade my DVD player, because of poor audio performance. Considering CA's track record, I would think the Azur 540D would provide good audio. But I wonder how it performs on video. Right now, the Denon 2200 is my top choice for my replacement player.

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 31
Some info on the receivers:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/12843.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Landroval,

Thanks for the link. It contains interesting speculation on the power supply of the receiver, but no first-hand experience with the equipment. I'm interested to hear from anyone who has heard the 540's. Good responses may have me driving 40 miles to the nearest CA dealer for an audition. As you mentioned in your post, the price seems to be right.

Bronze Member
Username: Goose

Post Number: 69
The following links will take you to another forum (shock! horror!), to a couple of threads involving someone who does have both 540R and 540D. Not a lot more info there, but that person may be able to answer any questions you have.

540R

540D

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Goose, those were excellent links. The Brits have a way with breezy posts. So Home Cinema Essentials gave the 540D five out of five stars. The Brit mags in general seem to be good at reviewing audio equipment, but IMHO their reviews of video equipment seem dodgy, spotty or whatever the British term is. I'd still be interested in hearing from others with first-hand experience with CA equipment. I'm now intrigued enough to audition them in the near future. Will post my impressions after I do.

Username: Ade333

Post Number: 3
Two Cents,

I just purchased the 540D last week. This is my first real DVD player, so I don't have much to compare it to. I can say that I am impressed with both the video and audio capabilities. I've only watched a few DVDs, but I have seen nothing so far that I have not been happy with. I did notice a layer change during the Matrix, but it was nearly transparent... I think I was the only one who did notice it actually. I have yet to listen to a DVD-A, but I plan to pick one up this weekend.

Please ask any questions you might have and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 390
Layer changes are part of the DVD format. That's just how it is, and nothing to do with the 540D.

I am thinking of a Cambridge Audio 540D or an NAD T533. My NAD T532 is fine, but I would like to true DVD-A. Did you audition anything else, Aaron?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us