Arcam AVR300 or Rotel RSX-1067 or Rotel 1068/1075 separates?

TempUser
Unregistered guest
I am thinking about starting a new system with 50/50 emphasis on Home Theater/Hifi. After doing some homeworks, a couple of receivers captured my ears: Arcam AVR300 and Rotel RSX1067.

For speakers, I am pretty much stuck with Proac Response 1SC - I will start with two channels first and then upgrade to more channels later when I got enough bucks.

Expert listners, any advice is welcomed between Arcam AVR300 and Rotel RSX1067 (or even Rotel 1068/1075 separates) for Proac Response 1SC.

Thank you in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Mgkaplan

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 95
My understanding is that Arcam is the answer. If you want excellent advice from someone in the audio business phone Shelley's Stereo. Their # is 818 716-8500.

Arcam Lvr
Unregistered guest
Go with Arcam !!! You will not regret. It is absolutely the best.

Bronze Member
Username: Ht_addict

Post Number: 11
Take a look at the NAD T773. Take a look at the Arcam specs. THD is high and unit is only spec'd at 1Khz. NAD is know too hold true to their published spec. And the sound of the NAD is sweet. Very detailed with tons of tight bass.

Anonymous

A month ago I listened to the Arcam AVR200 and Nad T763 paired with paradigm monitor 5. The Arcam sound was very detailed and open. The NAD was very warm(dark),less detail and a bit compressed. I know that Michael will agree with me.I like the Arcam but my wife likes the NAD. I think it boils down to personal preference.I'm planning to buy the AVR 300 if budget permits.

Bronze Member
Username: Mgkaplan

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 96
I had an NAD T763. "Anonymous" is correct. The NAD was dark, and noticably compressed. I had it paired with Paradigm Reference Studio 40 speakers. When I replaced the NAD with an Arcam, my system began to sing. The sound produced by the Arcam/Paradigm combo is incredible.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 249
I would go with the Arcam over any other H/T receiver, and the Rotel seperates. I think the pre-amp processor section of the Arcam is better than the Rotel pre-amp. The Arcam also has pre-outs for all of the channels if you get the upgrade bug down the road.

Of all the AVR's I've heard, nothing comes close to the musicallity of the Arcam. Built quality is great too. They are one of the few companies left that actually own and run their own factories. That usually means the QC is pretty tight. Just about everyone else (including Rotel and NAD) outsource to the lowest bidder. I'm not trying to bash the other two (I own NAD gear) because they are very good, but I think Arcam wins hands down.

Just my opinion though.

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 66
For my basement system I was looking at the same AVRs - Arcam, Rotel, and NAD. As good as the Arcam is (and it IS the best of the 3), I found that the best decision for me was to buy the least expensive AVR I could find that had a) all the features/connectivity I need, and b) pre-outs for all channels, and was c) well-built. With changes happening at a rapid pace in terms of features and connections, and the future still in doubt on several of them (DVI vs. HDMI, Firewire, etc.) I could not justify $1.5-2k for an AVR that I might want to replace within 2 years. With the inexpensive HK I bought (AVR235) I can swap it out next month if there's a good reason to without taking a big financial hit. And if everything stabilizes (or I reach the point where I can get a little more extravagant) I can replace the AVR with a true pre/pro.

I then added a good, high-current multi-channel power-amp (Outlaw 755) to run off of the AVR's pre-outs. While it is somewhat less musical than the Arcam, it is still very good music, and insane for HT.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 257
Good points Ziggy. I think we see eye to eye on my subjects. Arcam does a lot of software and hardware upgrades on their receivers. I think they do software upgrades for free for a year or so on their receivers. I could be wrong about that though.
A year or two ago I was very serious about buying the Arcam AVR300, but I couldn't afford all the ancillary stuff that I wanted to go around it. Then I realized that just about any AVR would be a waste of my time because I don't watch that many movies, and the one's I do are mainly dialog anyway. I don't get into special effects that often.

My NAD 320BEE and PSB's (2 channel) handle my movies and sports just fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 68
I'm hoping to add a dedicated 2-channel setup in my study/office within the next year... I heard some Amphion bookshelves the other day with a Naim integrated and CDP that blew me away.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us