PSB Alpha S or Atlantic Technology 4.5 surrounds?

Anonymous

My system is almost complete. Do I go with the PSB or Atlantic Tech for the rears?

Oh, I have to mount it on the back wall BEHIND the seating area, is this a problem?

Thanks.

Rec: Pioneer 1014
Fr: NHT SB2
Ctr: NHT SC-1
Sub: HSU STF-1
Rear: Help!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 247
Is there a reason why you dont want NHT for the rears as well?

Anonymous

Stephen,

I had NHT SB1 for the rears and they were great for the DVD-A/SACD, but I watch more movies than listen to SACD. I want a more diffuse and not direct sound (I hope this is the right term).

I don't think NHT makes any current small bipole speakers, correct?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 248
Well, not to be the Cambridge Soundworks wh0re of the forum, but might I suggest the CSW S300. It gives you the option of direct, dipole, and bipole dispersion. They sound pretty good all things considered and you can pick them up factory refurbished off ebay direct from CSW for something like 200 a pair every so often.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 428
Send an image of the type surround loudspeakers that you debating over....

Send the picture to my picture and then upload it to the page hear for all to see with some technical specifications, as well....

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
As for the seating problem, there is no seating problem, modify the room with sound in mind firstly, and with that in mind, well think about it...

Anonymous

Here are the links to PSB and Atlantic. Sorry, I couldn't get the image to upload.

Thanks.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/literature/4_5.pdf#search='Atlantic%20Technology%204.5'

http://www.psbspeakers.com./s/newAlphaSeries.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
Well the centre channel is not quite matched to the left and right, drive size frequency response sensitivity are also matched but the size and sensitivity does concern me.

As for the sub bass not lower enough down to 20Hz or just bit lower 18Hz, would suffice.

The point of the screen channels is that, in a top sounding THX cinema bass can be big on its dynamics in the centre channel most times, I Kidd you not, dual 6 ½ or 8 inc ones, but if you are patent enough why not one15inc with a loaded horn compression driver that will be the choice.

The Atlantictechnology looked ok, then I saw the psb range and said maybe, as for a demonstration at home bearing in mind use a SPL meter when testing these out, for tight bass line response detailed mid range and high frequency with sparkle and transparency too.

As I a have gut instinct they would not do well on "Indiana Jones and the last crusade" in full six-track Dolby stereo, on DVD and if you haven't seen the film in 70mm Dolby THX then you may be lost, sorry about that it's the projectionist in me come out there, try a home demonstration for the week end.

Oh as for the L.F.E on these subs it will be blow to hell, and if you AVR doesn't have THX with its Peak THX manager audio limiter, then buy an of the self audio limiter form a PA sales shop not a Hi-Fi shop as they wont have any in there show room, but they may be able to order you one.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1436
The rears arent critical to the system because they dont carry a heavy load, and typically only sound effects play through them(bullets, footsteps, crashes, etc, etc).

I wouldnt overly sweat the decision. Just about anything will work just fine. Heck, I use cheap Bose161s in the back for the only reason that their shape and wallmount perfectly fit my necessary application, and they serve their purpose just fine.

Buy whatever fits your physical needs, and dont spend too much on backs because they play a 'back-seat' role to the fronts, center, and yes...even the surrounds. Pun intended.

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
Paul

What are you trying to do get this guy to buy small surround loudspeakers, and blow the hell out of them, mate look at the technical specifications on Dolby and dts digital 20Hz to 20 KHz left centre right and split-stereo surrounds, with L.F.E 20Hz to 120Hz.

Anonymous, unless you don't what the surrounds bottoming out on the low frequencies, bigger around 6 ½ diver size with a very good passive X-over, although active electronic X-over units are the preferred choice that's of course you have plenty of bread, for a B-chain set-up...

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 113
I don't know if you're on drugs, or need to be on drugs Andy

Silver Member

Post Number: 440
Oh to add to this just play "Earthquake" Sensurround now on DVD in full six-track Dolby digital, on the surrounds only just play the surrounds, turn of all the other channels including the sub bass and see, how much low end you can feel coming of the split-stereo surrounds, you should have peaks of around 105dbC weighting climbing to 110dbC weighting if you lucky enough to see it on the SPL meter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 441
Hallo there

Stu Pitt
"I don't know if you're on drugs, or need to be on drugs Andy"

No, are you and what is your profession as a former cinema projectionist for UCI and Warner village cinemas UK, I feel that Anonymous, should know a few things.

What AVR are you running in your home cinema and loudspeakers included.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 115
My point exactly... What are you saying? Are you asking me what my profession is?

Being a former cinema projectionist doesn't make you an expert in home theater. It just makes everyone here laugh that much more at you.

I bartended at a brew pub while in college. Does that make me an expert in brewing beer? No... My job wasn't to brew beer, just like your job wasn't to set up speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1443
Hahahahahahaahh

when I was in college, I worked at a gas dock fueling boats. I guess that makes me a fuel expert??

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 116
Paul - Way off... According to our special friend, that makes you a Captain.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 117
Now that I think about it, in high school I worked at a car wash. That makes me an expert race car driver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1444
Ahh yes, I am a Sea Captain, and master of the sea!!!

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 118
Seriously, is this guy mentally challenged? If he is, I apologize.

Silver Member

Post Number: 445
Well hell that must make me an admiral then.

hahahahaha

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
Stu,

Just say thank you nice to have you onboard are little boat, and I'm proud to have been a projectionist.

The Dolby CP processors like the CP-65 and 500 nice pieces of audio processing, although I didn't DTS-6D that much, how ever there newer range like the DTS-6AD does look the part its up there with the Dolby CP-200 and CP-650 as well.

Anonymous

Didn't mean to get everybody worked up. I just wanted some surrounds without breaking the bank.

I understand that my current setup might not be the best match, but I'm happy with it.

If you had to choose one of the 2, which one would you choose? That is all I'm asking.

Thanks everybody.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 119
Sorry anon, we tend to get a little side tracked now and then...

I'd say the cheaper of the two because the surrounds don't really do that much in home theater. If you are listening to a lot of multi channel music, then I would try to listen to them both and determine which is better myself. I really don't know much about the atlantics, but I own PSB towers and can't recommend then enough.
If you are going for multi channel music, I'd say get a pair of matching NHT's

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 120
"The Dolby CP processors like the CP-65 and 500 nice pieces of audio processing, although I didn't DTS-6D that much, how ever there newer range like the DTS-6AD does look the part its up there with the Dolby CP-200 and CP-650 as well."

Where the hell did this come from?

You know Andy, just when I think you can't possibly get any dumber, you turn around and do something like this...

AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 121
I couldn't help it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 448
No didn't think so, so does New York have any THX cinemas around with the noisy underground trains, still to this date?

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 123
Probably...

Are you still watching a 20 inch black & white tv with a JBL home theater in a box speaker set, and a $100 Kenwood receiver?

Silver Member

Post Number: 452
Upload

That's right, will it still blows me away from the first day every day without, shelling out money, money all the time like you guys do or should I say amateur, so don't be a big head ok.

Just learn a few things or two and stop thinking the home cinema products are all out to be what you think they are made for, is that why you upgrade every 1 to 2 years hell I haven't done an audio upgrade in 6 years, just adding on, seeing I don't use the internal amplification, adding on active X-over units even Dolby NR 363 SR/A is a neat touch.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 126
Andy -

Hallo There!!!
You know what JBL stands for? Junk But Loud!

Anyway, I didn't realize you were a professional sound tech for the theaters you used to work for. I thought you were a projectionist. My fault.

I used to bar tend at a brew pub while in college. I'm going to find a brewing message board and lecture everyone there about how I am a former bartender and know more than they could ever know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1454
I wouldnt necessarily say that about JBL. They have a significant presence High End market too. I'd be interested in hearing their K2 and TIK speaker lines.

I probably could 'settle' for owning a pair of these........
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.asp?ProdId=K2%2ES9800WG&SerId=K2 &sCatId=

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 129
You've got a point Paul, but Junk But Loud! does describe 95% of their stuff. I'm not a JBL basher, per se. I bought my father a pair of their small towers when I was in high school. They sounded great with his old Marantz 220B receiver. This was before the Harmon Group took them over and destroyed their affordable speakers.

Their speakers used to be very good and cheap, a combination that all of us can appreciate. Then the Harmon group bought them out, jacked up the prices, and cut costs of manufacturing by making them as cheap as possible. This is why they are only sold in places like best buy today. A lot of hi-fi shops used to carry them. Now none of them do.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 130
Andy -
Hallo There!!!

I really don't have a big head at all. Everything in my system was bought at a discount. My Nad integrated amp cost me $350, NAD CDP cost me $250, PSB Image t55 towers cost me $550. $30 interconnects and $20 speaker wire. $1200 total. I could have spent far more for the same system, or spent far more and gotten worse. If spending $1200 on a stereo system that will blow away just about anything else dollar for dollar gives me a big head, then I'm proud to have a huge head.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us