Rotel RB-1080 power amp keeps blowing fuses, I have B&W Matrix 802 Series 3 speakers.

Username: David_c

Holmfirth, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a pair of B&W Matrix 802 Series 3 speakers on eBay and powered them with an Yamaha 3090 integrated amp. After a few months I decided to upgrade my Amplifier to Rotel Pre/Power and got RSP-1068, RMB-1075 and the RB-1080 (at Rotel's recommendation to power my B&Ws) I don't particularly play my system at high volumes, but I've had to take the RB-1080 in 3 times to be mended, as the left channel keeps going down even when I swap my B&W speakers around it always the amps left channel. I've just got it back now, Rotel say they have fixed an intermittent fault but I'm just waiting for it to go again. Can someone please help.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1400
Considering the troubles caused by the Rotel, I'd sell it on ebay as soon as it returns from the repair shop, and buy something 'not' Rotel.

Many years ago, I had a similar experience with speakers, but the speakers were the problem. In the end, I offloaded the speakers because I was sick of them being in the repair shop for 50% of their existence. At some point, you need to cut that amp loose and buy something that works. It does look like a rather nice amp, but a lemon too.

Either that, or roll the dice to see if it lands in the repair shop for the 4th time which will make it awfully difficult to enjoy those B&Ws with no working amp.

Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 6
Well David what you have here is the wrong classes being put together.No Rotel gear is good enough or they have enough amprage for something like a Matrix or Nautlis thats a whole lot to ask for what is after all moderately priced amp.It is very hard for that amp deal with that speakers low impedeance swings they go down to about two ohms at their lowest maybe even lower.And with the Rotel working in perfect order can never make them sound anywhere near there best.Put it on E-Bay as soon as possible thats aspeacial speaker give it some speacial equipment. SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING

Username: David_c

Holmfirth, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice. I got the RB-1080 only about 3 months ago and is still under warrenty. So do you think I was miss-sold the amp, after all it was a technician at Rotel that recommended it to power my 802s, surely I have a case. I could sell it on eBay, but that lets Rotel off the hook, and I lose out.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 142
If the speakers are to blame (ie impedence loads), wouldn't both channels give you problems? If it was a specific speaker, wouldn't the other channel have gone when you switched the speakers?

From this, I think the problem is definately the Amp. Have they "fixed" it every time, or have they replaced the entire amp? If they haven't replaced the entire amp, I'd get on the phone with them and make them. It's pretty funny what they'll do when you threaten to take them to small claims court or report them to consumer services buereau.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 143
I just realised you're in the UK, my mistake. I'm sure you have something like that over there right?

Jazzy
Unregistered guest
I have the B&W Matrix 802s3 myself and although the speakers like to get alot of current, they "only" go down to 3,3 ohm. So the Rotel shouldn't have too much trouble driving them. It seems to me there's something at fault with the Rotel and maybe if the fuse keeps blowing ask for a replacement amp from Rotel if you bought it new that is, and you still have warranty. The Rotel/B&W combo should be quite a good match.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us