What's speaker with GOOD BASS ?

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 65
Hi guys,
I am looking for a speaker with good bass extension - I don't mean to replace the subwoofer functional. But I just love to hear music from 2 channel with good bass authority.

Is there any speaker that you can recommend for me ?

Oh yes, please don't suggest the powered sub floorstanding speaker (such as Paradigm Monitor 90P, or PSB Image powered floorstander, or else with the same characteristic).
On of the reason is this speaker of course will cost double.

Please give your recommendation what speaker with good bass authority and with clean output, good midrange (I don't mean this should be perfect all).

Thanks you all.

look4sun

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 892
How much do you want to spend?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4213

http://www.passdiy.com/

or

http://www.passdiy.com/projects/el-pipe-o-1.htm

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1337
OMG Jan,
Are those heating ducts?

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 128
www.athenaspeakers.com Audition AS-F2.2 & AS-F1.2

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 176
New Wharfedale 9.6 Floorstander. 2 8" woofers, mid-range dome and dome tweeter.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1341
Good bass extension?? I think that's a little vague to offer a recommendation. What do you consider 'good' bass extension???

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4217

Paul - No, just some little "boutiquey" tea and crackers speakers to listen to while I sip white wine.

I would have thought those would be right up your alley as far as size is concerned. There's 30 sq. feet of horn mouth coupled to a little tiny driver. (The Lowther drivers cost $1695 for the pair. A bit more than you spent on your CV's.) And the El-Pipo is the 20Hz bottom end source. Nelson Pass is not a man who does things half way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1342
LOL....great response!!!

Naw, I dont get too excited over the exotic designs. Im more of a traditionalist when it comes to speakers. Some of the designs are fun to look at though, and those were definitely interesting.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 864
http://www.passdiy.com/projects/el-pipe-o-1.htm

Holly crap! That's some horn! :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 66
Hello Art Kyle,
My speaker budget is around USD1,000 with max USD 1,500.

Surprise for me, seem everybody offer quite unfamilliar brand speaker for me.
My idea goes to Paradigm, PSB, Wharfedale, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, Polk Audio, Quad, JMLab.
Other than above, my local stores don't sell it. So sorry to narrow your suggestions.

Thanks.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 190
At least I was on your list!! I liked JMLAB but I found they are lacking in bass....great treble though! Had PSB'S.......not bad but you should listen first as they are not for everyone. Quad were very nice.......not sure if they are in your budget however. The rest I never tried.

Somed00d
Unregistered guest
PSB Stratus Silver or Gold. Plenty of quality bass here, and plenty of slam. You can ususally get them discounted pretty heavily, or find them used for a good price.

Somed00d
Unregistered guest
I forgot to mention Dynaudio. The larger towers of the Audience range should be sufficient for what you seek, and will also give quality treble along with bass.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 194
Never tried those models but have heard good things about them. They are well built but are technology based on the early 90's but that probably has nothing to do with their sound maybe only some of the materials used to build them.......I am no engineer!

Somed00d
Unregistered guest
Speaker havent really evolved a whole lot in the last few decades, and speakers afterall are 1930's technology. Most of the speaker "progress" is just for looks anyways- all those slim baffle designs using "high tech" drivers and cabinets really do nothing but make the speakers look better and make advertising easier. Audio Note, who makes some of the best speakers around, uses paper woofers, foam surrounds, silk tweeters with no ferrofluid and wide baffle cabinets -http://www.triodeandco.com/Prod_Loudspeakers.html- so i wouldnt base speakers on how old the technology is, if anything theyll be better for music since most speakers nowadays are voiced for home theatre. Now im not saying all new speakers suck, or that the technology does nothing in all cases, just most of the time it doesnt help much towards musical satisfaction.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 168
Take YOUR MUSIC to the shops, spend some time listening to those different speakers and have fun. They are all good. Your ears will tell you which one you like the best.

Anonymous

Bose 901. Easily wins over any of the aforementioned speakers thanks to its active EQ system. Its almost unfair really.

Bose, the most respected name in sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Bunny

Big D, Texas

Post Number: 21
Little recognition to these but they sound very good IMHO....What kind of gear will you be using to drive them?

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs.php?category=3&speaker=347

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 498
Very impressive.....

Bronze Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 18
What kind of bass do tou want?There are different kinds of bass the very best bass that has all the attributes is usually gonna cost in the upper part of 6 figures.But their are exceptions though.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Six figures??

like in $999,999.00 ??? LMAO !

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Six figures??

like $999,999.00 ??? LMAO !

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
And there are ways to cut corners too, for the same amount of money I can come up with something that will go beyond, though they do look nice in whole and in part, again very impressive.....

Frequency response is a dish of the day, tasty 3x matching Polks for the three-screen will put some Dolby dts THX power on your lap....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1484
He counts by the penny.

Anonymous

His SDAT's beat all speakers under $1200.00 too.

Anonymous

His SDAT's beat all speakers under $1200.00 too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 504
Man he's like a broken record...

Bronze Member

Big D, Texas

Post Number: 22
Andy,

Yes, The polks sound pretty good for both music and movies, again IMHO.
I must say that they need pretty good power to really shine.

Cheers Mate !

Silver Member

Post Number: 508
What type of amplifier class would that be, Bugs any idea if not Jan any idea on that.

So Bugs are you running a trio of them for the home cinema...

I can se the SPL reaching +110dbC weighting Easley....

Anonymous

Maybe even +160dbC weighting Easley Handy Andy....

Silver Member

Post Number: 512
I can name three people that I have mentioned about this forum, but not yet....
"Anonymous"

Bronze Member

Big D, Texas

Post Number: 23
Andy,

No, I am using the matching center channel (CSi5) for Movies.

As for the Amp, good question, no expert here :-) ! I am running my little two NAD 270's in bridge mode and I am pleased with the results !
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us