Elite VSX-55TXi or SR8400?

AVG
Unregistered guest
I am thinking of selling my new SR8400
and getting an Elite VSX-55TXi for the following reasons:

1) Elite allows functions to be renamed
and has a bigger display
2) Elite has a phono input
3) Elite has iLink input for SACD and DVD-A.
4) Elite looks nicer (personal preference of course)

Will the Elite sounds that much worse?
Which would you guys get?

(Got run for lunch weill post more later).

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 833
If you need items 1-4, then sound is largely irrelevant isn't it? Looks like you're more concerned with certain options than sound. Get what you need. Elite will not "sound that much worse", but the difference will be noticeable. At least it is to me. Marantz more accurate and musical in my opinion. Is that you AVGuy?

Bronze Member
Username: Bunny

Big D, Texas

Post Number: 19
AVG,

I do have a Pioneer Elite VSX 53 and IMH it sounds pretty good for both music and movies I know the 55 is a step up above mine so, I do not think you will go wrong with it. IMHO they are great receivers. and yes, they look great as well !
Now, if you are more into music than movies I would suggest to add a power amp for stereo reproduction, it truly makes a difference!

Good luck !

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Sorry, I had someone waiting for me, so I had to quickly post before running to lunch.

Yes, it is me AudioVideoGuy. :-)

I like music very much, but, based on the location of the receiver, I expect that this will be be used for movies 70 % of the time.

My parents just gave me an old record player and, more importantly, a bunch of old records.
Therefore having a phono input is a plus for me.

I also have some SACDs and a DVD-A disc, so the iLink connectivity is appealing.

The Elite also has USB for connecivity to a PC.

The looks and 'function rename' feature, and to a slightly lesser degree phono input and iLink, are the main reasons I am considering the switch.

I have been hesitating, since I always wanted a Marantz, but it doesn't have some of the key features I would like and the numerous front panel buttons aren't what I was hoping for in terms of looks - the x500 series have a nice cover for the buttons.

I do like the finish / look of Marantz's (brushed?) panel itself (i.e. excluding buttons and red, white yellow composite A/V jacks) though.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
PS: Sound is important, otherwise it would have been a much easier decision, other than the fact that I had always wanted to try a NAD or Marantz.

The Marantz does also have DPL IIx and up conversion of all video signals to component and two more digital inputs.

However, the 5 inputs on the VSX-55TXi should be enough (The VSX-43TX I just sold had four).

If my speakers weren't so heavy, as in a hassle to ship, I would consider getting new ones.
Maybe I can sell them for 'local pickup only'...hmmm. there's an idea :-)

Regarding my speaker choices, don't ask... :-) I have had them for a while and I know they don't necessarily all go together well and they weren't all bought at the same time.
I currently have 3-way 5-driver (includes powered woofers) Infinity 'Overture 2' speakers as fronts and a Paradigm LCR-450 as center.
The rears are non-powered Advent Laureates.
The sub is a powered 15" Tympani.
Talk about a mishmash (sp?)...

The Infinitys are no slouch, but I wouldn't mind getting something considered to be more musical.

I wonder whether the Marantz or Elite goes better with the Overture 2 speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 139
Someone please help me understand the pre-occupation with Phono input. For all the receivers I have ever had, Phono and any other 2 wire inputs were basically interchangable. So what's the deal?

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Unless I am mistaken, phono inputs are not usually interchangeable as far as using a regular line level input as a phono input is concerned.
I believe the turntable's output won't be transmitted (properly) in that situation.

The reverse may hold true; I think it may be possible to use a phono input as a regular line input, not taking into account possible inferior audio performance, depending on the capability in terms of quality (S/N ratio, frequency response)
of the phono input.

I am by no means a phono expert though; this is just my understanding based on relatively limited
knowledge of phono inputs.

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 88
Unlike some on this site, I will say that you won't lose any sound quality going with the Elite. I find that the elite lines are an excellent balance for those who want quality sound for movies and 2 channel.

I am curious why you want the 55 over the 56? The 55 is last years model, the 56, this years, and soon (fall) to be replaced I believe.

You are correct that regular inputs and phono inputs are not interchangeable.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 854
A phono input is made for a turn-table. The signal grows through an standardized RIAA equalizer to re-emphasize the low frequencies.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the feedback XSound.

I am sure to a degree there is always personal preference involved when choosing a receiver, since some people like bright sounding receivers, others prefer a laid back sound and so forth.
That being said, there are of course various classes of receivers in terms of sound quality, based on parts used and design, and that is where I wanted to know if the Marantz SR8400 and Elite VSX-55TXi were roughly on par.

I will look around at a few more options and then make my decision.

The reason for the 55 over the 56 is simply that it would save me about 33% ($300).
For the price of the 56 I could probably find a few other alternatives.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Baltimore, MD USA

Post Number: 57
Last summer I was torn between a Marantz SR7400 and an Elite 53TX. Although some say the Marantz sounds more "musical", I found it to be quite bloated in the midrange. For the type of music I listen to (mostly rock amd reggae), this made the music sound a little off to me. I went with the Elite, which to me has an excellent balance between movies and music. I know I comparing last years models (and one price point down), but I'm sure the overall receiver "sound" is prob the same.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Peter, for the explanation of what the phono input does.

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
I did some more research on the Phono input and Peter is right. Here is more info:

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/phono.html

If you really want I suppose you can use this to recreate a phone input!!

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Thanks Rob!
That helps.
I know it comes down to personal preference, but getting specific feedback from those who have had the opportunity to compare products similar to those I am torn between helps.

If I do go with the Elite, I will be sorry to let the SR8400 go in certain ways, but it will be because it is the best receiver for MY specific needs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 837
No way the Pioneer is going to be more musical than the Marantz, Rob's comments notwithstanding. If it sounded bloated to him, I would be willing to bet that his choice of speakers is the reason. But you may prefer the non-musicality, if you will. AVGuy, just buy what makes you happy.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Ironically I had an Elite that I sold after buying the Marantz.
That model, however, unlike the VSX-55TXi didn't have the following features:
- iLink
- USB input
- phono input
It also had one less digital input, which makes a difference to me.

I know the Marantz may sound a bit better.
I have auditioned one in the past in an A / B comaparison with an Elite, but it required one to be unplugged and the other top be hooked up due to a single source CD player and a single set of speakers, so it wasn't conclusive.

I will indeed, as Dale put it, buy what makes me happy and sacrificing a bit of sound quality (I know how the Elite sounds) will be made up for it fulfilling my other needs ('Function Rename', bigger display that can be read further away, iLink, phono input, USB input and its looks and more substantial size).
The last two are purely cosmetic.

I appreciate the constructive feedback and mature responses.
Nobody jumped in and said "brand A sucks" or "brand B sucks".

I still haven't made my mind up yet, but I will do so this weekend.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
PS for clarifcation:
When I said "I know how the Elite sounds", I meant I know it was pleasing to me and, while the Marantz may be more musical to certain people, I know it wouldn't be a big enough difference for me to regret the purchase later, based on MY needs (feature set etc.)

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
I have finally made up my mind and decided to go with the Elite VSX-55TXi.
I will be putting my new Marantz SR8400 up for sale tonight or tomorrow.
I am sad to see the Marantz go, but I know I made the right decision for MY specific needs.

My sincere thanks for all the feedback!

Well, I am off to get some fresh air; it is too nice outside to be / stay indoors today.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1402
Good move AVG........

You wont regret getting rid of the Marantz.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1008
Oh Paul you bad boy, what's your address so we can all chip in and send you a big box of chocolates?

AVG
Unregistered guest
:-)
Maybe I shouldn't get in the middle of this. ;)

Seriously though, I know I won't regret getting the Elite 55TXi for MY needs.
However, the Marantz (SR8400 specifically) is a great receiver and I know everyone who got one at the special price will be more than happy in terms of its sonic performance.

My 55TXi is due to arrive this week, so I will have it for the long weekend!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1430
enjoy:-) I would have made the same choice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 866
I guess next you'll be getting the cerwin vegas.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1438
NO need........

Because they're indestructable and will never go bad.
C'mon.....How could you not want a pair of massive 100lb behemoths like these fronting a HT???
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/135521.jpg

These babies are perfect for 'big' movies. As for music??? Hmmmm.....music?, music?....what's that?? I dont bother with that stuff. My CVs are movies only. It's hard to see their size in the photo because the 65" TV dwarfs them.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 879
Paul, you need a speaker that dwarfs the TV.

:-)

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/138481.jpg
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/138518.jpg

Sorry, can't resist it with Paul!

;-)

Zorro
Unregistered guest
indestructable ???

Correction...Indestructible...can not spell Paul?
LMAO

Gold Member

Post Number: 1447
Yea peter, those are pretty nice. They wouldnt dwarf my tv though. Let's not forget that my TV is about 5.5 feet tall. It would take some 'reaaaaaly' big speakers to make that TV appear small..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1037
Nice TV, Paul...sorry about the speakers though!

lol

Kohl
Unregistered guest
hey Edster check this out:

http://saturdayaudio.com/c541i_cd_player.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1041
thanks Kohl, $300 is about what the 541i goes for.

I'm holding out for the c542 though, saw it for $350 refurb.

Kohl
Unregistered guest
cool !
good luck

Gold Member

Post Number: 1450
And to think I have not watched a single movie since last weekend.

I watched the Emperor tonight. Regular TV isnt so bad when it's in 7.1 surround, and in HD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
Hey Kohl thanks for reminding me of the Saturday Audio Exchange. Have not been there for years. May be I will pay a visit this weekend.

Paul you think I should take my wife along in case I get interested in buying something? That way I can get the Ok right there and not have to wait.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1466
Yep,
If you plan to purchase anything, you better bring along the boss.

HEH

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 887
Paul wrote:

Yea peter, those are pretty nice. They wouldnt dwarf my tv though. Let's not forget that my TV is about 5.5 feet tall. It would take some 'reaaaaaly' big speakers to make that TV appear small..

Okay... Speakers are 4'4" tall. They wouldn't dwarf your TV!! :-)

Since in another thread you said you had 2 to 3K to spend on speakers and couldn't find anything, try to find someone in your area with a pair that you could listen to. You might like 'em! But they do need a big room, with good corners, and the speakers are placed on the long wall.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1472
Once I get the shopping 'bug' again, I'll certainly consider that as an option. At this point, Im out of the market for awhile because I've lost interest in looking at new stuff.

Bronze Member
Username: Lazyb

SLC, UT

Post Number: 16
Klipsch corner horns can get disgustingly loud! My girlfriends uncle has had his for years and gets an annoyed neighbor at least twice a week.
Never was a huge horn fan myself, but Klipsch can make a pretty good speaker.

AVG
Unregistered guest
I just wanted to post a quick update:

I received my Elite VSX-55TXi recently.
I finally got around to hooking it up this weekend.

I got a nice deal on a B-stock unit in MINT condition with a 90 day warranty and on top of that sold my Marantz for more than I expected, so even after taking into account all shipping costs and auction fees, I got the 55TXi for a price so low that it doesn't make sense to mention it.

In any case, it looks and sounds great!
The AUTOMATIC setup (Auto MCACC) using the included mic was great and very simple!!!
It calculated speaker distances, adjusted their relative output levels based on calculated distance and also automatically adjusted a bunch of other settings.
What a time saver that feature is.
(My previous Elite had manual MCACC).

Thanks again for your feedback!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us