Reaching out for serious advice for fairly serious gear.

Username: Torchum

Post Number: 1
My friend has a great connection that is giving him a great deal on his new HT set up in his new home. He has to shave some coin off his house budget and we have come to the conlusion that a Sherbourn/ Aerial Acoustic/ JMLab 7.1 is a good place to start. My question to you all is...what can replace the suggested yet never heard Aerials for a better buck. His connection can get anything ordered for 10 plus cost so he doesn't have to spend the $7000 on side and rears alone. Besides he is predominantly a music fan and has a hard time justifying a dinosour stomp that costs 7k.I've mentioned a few ( GM Research Tannoy Totem) Although the Sherbourn is basically an Outlaw, with his discount I said definitely keep the source. Now he needs special advice on special speakers that will stand alone. Thank you very much!. Short story long...over

Unregistered guest
Not sure I follow the question here... but it kinda looks like good speakers for about $7k? If so then Sonus Faber Cremonas ... they are special.. majical sound.

Post Number: 2
Hi Rick, Basically my friend is getting a real good deal on the Aerial Acoustics but is still having to spend alot. I know alot is relative but 2 sets of dipoles for 7k, fronts for 4.5k, center for another couple thou. I know he can achieve great sound for less and I was asking of possible contenders that are a step above but realistic. I appreciate the Sonus Faber suggestion.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 859
I think getting advice on 7K$ speakers is difficult. I haven't heard many in this price range and cannot easily compare them. I listenned to some B&W 801 and they had outstanding detail, dynamic range and frequency range, but didn't image for me very much. Probably the room. I like my Klipschorns quite a lot (and have a review somewhere on the site); they image very well.

Or are you asking about cheaper 2 to 3K$ contenders that would save money?

Bronze Member
Username: Gtsum

VA

Post Number: 36
Trevor -

If your buddy is looking in the 4-5k range for mains, have him look at the Von Schwiekert VR4jr's (about 4999). I have the VR2's and chose them over Paradigm (studio 100's), Monitor Audio Gold, and Usher. The VR4jr's however, are in another league altogether. Most reviews of them put them at the top of 10k and under speakers...they are very, very nice...here is a link....
http://www.vonschweikert.com/vr4jr.html
Search the web for reviews..there are quite a few..good luck!

Post Number: 4
Hi Peter... you're correct. I 'm trying to suggest to my bud that he is on the edge of diminishing returns for what his needs require (and his room as well) 2-3 k range should be able to yeild a special sound and stage that won't be so needy or critical. What's your triactor of great?
Shaun...Thanks for the suggestion as the Vons are extremely proud. I noticed that they have a H/T set up that may suit him. Any idea how much for the entry level 7.1

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1331
it really depends what he wants from them.

Price range means nothing if you dont know what he wants or his intended uses for his speakers.

Heck.......for all I know, a pair of cheap towers might suite him best?? Who knows at this point.

Bronze Member
Username: Gtsum

VA

Post Number: 37
Trevor - I have no idea what the packages run for the Vons, but do know they they give a pretty good discount for a package deal..good luck!
Shaun

Post Number: 5
Hi Paul, I realize that is musical elation is a very personal field but it is possible to lump us into certain groups of proficientcy. He is looking at loading a dedicated theater/listening room of good proportions with extreme sound that will satisfy his wide range of loved music more oft than his feel for a flick. However it will be designed as a theater and so must give that impression as well.Bottom line is I have never heard Aerial Acoustics but I would trust that they are VERY nice. I simply feel that he can spend less than the proposed $18,000 retail and achieve at least an even level of comparison. If he can't...well...I like to know so I can advise him either way. Truly appreciate any commendable suggestions such as Shaun has done with the Vons.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 566
The size of the room has little to do with fidelity from speakers. True, really big (typically expensive) speakers may overenergise a small room, but expensive speakers come in all shapes and sizes. For example a pair of Totem Mani-2 speakers would put your friend back around $3000. They're a medium sized standmount and cracking speakers for the money (just ordered a pair). They go down to 28hz and have fabulous fidelity. In the wrong room, they'll bloat the bass simply because they go so deep (most speakers go down to 35hz comfortably). I will be using mine in a smallish room (13ft x 11ft) but they can run much larger rooms too.

Until recently I've been using large Audio Note E's in a small 11x11 room with no problems. The size of the room doesn't really matter until it gets really big - that's when you may need a large pair of speakers, and even then it may not be necessary, but to discount buying expensive speakers simply because of the room size is to deny yourself the opportunity to enjoy better fidelity. We're not just after a room-filling experience, we're also after better resolution, discrimination and contrast, all attributes that come with fidelity rather than volume.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 6
Thank-you Frank for your accurate advise. I couldn't concur more on all aspects. I guess certain lovers of music just can not sit and listen without wanting to tweak something or everything just one more notch and the room itself comes into play all to often as a fixated priorty.
Thank-you for the Totem selection, they are now on the option list and are a perfect example of what I was hoping to suggest to my good friend.Have a great weekend.

Anonymous

Following on the Totem suggestion, the Wind floorstanders are phenomenal. I believe they're about $4500/pr, but I've never really looked that closely. http://www.totemacoustic.com

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 865
Would your friend consider used speakers?

How big is the room?

Post Number: 7
I sure wish that Totem didn't appear so dated. Dynas are of the same. He does have a wife and not so 70's is requested. What the hell do they know but ya still can't bury them in the back yard over it soooo...
Peter.. his room is approximately 14 w 20 l & 10 h. He probably would acknowledge used items as I have been on the hunt for my new replacement gear way too long, searching for the killer used deal and so he has been informed of the possibility of greatness through used BUT he is partners in an A/V custom installation store and thus the 10% plus cost deal. I somehow think that if he asks for Meadowlarks or such that they don't give anyone anymore of a deal other than the absolutely beautiful product for a fair price. Would I be correct on this?

Walrus
Unregistered guest
Dynaudios have more of a protracted upper end. I like the Totems better, since they have an appreciably retracted bottom end and not too flatulent mids either.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1361
If he's looking to spend that kind of coinage, I'd recommend skipping the message board, and hitting the local HiFi circuit. He's going to have to listen in person and decide for himself in that price range.

I wouldnt spend $7k on speaker based on a message board.......that's for sure. He's going to need to listen and evaluate speakers on his own. Recommendations are fine and dandy, but he's going to have to do his own legwork and see these speakers in person.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3250
Quad 989.

Nice posts, Walrus! Loved the one about tri-wiring.

Frank, I think smaller rooms need speakers with less bass extension, unless the listener really enjoys listening to standing waves produced by low-frequency room nodes. Many car drivers seem to like this effect, I know.

Bronze Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 100
Keep in mind that this may be the only purchase this bloke may ever make of this size, unless he gets the bug real bad!
Future consideration for new rooms, new home, more family, may make this a once in a long time purchase.
I must think that a variety of high end dealers or dealers of high end stuff will demo in YOUR room, for ALL lines. This deal sounds great, but such a decision is, indeed, poorly made on a website.
Make them come to your friends place and leave the product for a decent trial.

Peace

Post Number: 9
Hi all and hope you had a great weekend. As usual, I appreciate the advise and the recommendations. For that is all I was really after. I agree completely that his decision will be made as a personal one but just wanted to steer him in a few directions that are maybe biased but at least a broader strloke than what is merely convenient. I will post a conclusion to this matter but will continue to eat some feedback if available. Thanks again.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 868
Well, I dropped the thread because he is likely to buy new gear because of his connection. Also, anyone in the A/V business is going to want to show off new gear, right? I would have suggested a Klipsch heritage line setup, but it would be hard to audition beforehand unless you found someone in your area willing to show off his system, and it would be expensive for all new gear (around 7K for a pair of Klipschorns, and around 15K for 3 La Scala's) but around 1/3 the price used. You could also try an all Klipsch Reference setup based on a pair RF-7 and an RC-7 center; those are more widely available in stores. The RF-7 sells for less than $2000 a pair, probably $1800 or so.

If he's in the business, why does he need your help?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks Peter for the Klipsch advise. I will always remember listening to some Horns with reverence. I was too little to fully appreciate them but their reputation was always touted with respect. Recently I was able to go back to my Uncle's and listen to the same speakers. He still has them cause they are that good.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 899
Cool. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 82
The Winds are not $4500 they are $7000 just dont want anyone to target $4500 if they were that would really be great.

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 28
Tawaun, you are correct... as I said I didn't look too closely at them, as they were well out of the price range I was looking to spend. It may also have been a used pair that I saw and the price was correct.. really not sure. But they are fantastic.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us