Your opinion please!

Name up to 3 specific models!

:-)

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 149
need specifics tim!

room size, music/movie listening?, what type of music?, what receiver?

come on, buddy, more info!

Username: Twochordcool

Post Number: 3
small to average room size.

all kinds of music plus movies.

No receiver yet - looking at speakers first -

that may be bizarre, but I have a stereo and I am replacing all of it ultimately.

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 162
For budget bookshelfs I like the British speakers. B&W 303's, Moniter Audio Bronze 2, Acoustic Energy Evo1 and Tannoy MX2

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 869
Epos ELS 3.

Post Number: 4
Aren't the Epos ELS 3 4 Ohm speakers? Wouldn't that limit me on what receivers I could buy, if I bought that after speakers?

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
Energy C-3s or Ascend 170s

The Energy's retail for $400 but can be purchased for $325-350.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 948
Ascend 170s.
Ascend 170s.
Ascend 170s.

oh BTW, did I mention the Ascend 170s?

LMAO...sorry, I'm in a silly mood, just watched "The Incredibles" for the first time tonight. More on that in the "Movies of the Night that don't SUCK" thread.

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 151
ascend 170s may be the best buy at that price range...

the energy c-3's are a little more pricey, but you may like the styling more...

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
Cyrus... I think the C-3s have a little nicer bass response as well. But you are right about the Ascends being the best buy price-wise.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 881
Not if you're buying a good receiver Timothy.

Anonymous

What are some of the "good receivers" in the $400-$800 range that will handle a 4 ohm load? Is it enough to judge how a receiver will handle 4 ohms based on pure power specs for 6 or 8 ohms? (I wouldn't think so, but I'm pretty much a noob at this)

There don't seem to be many receivers that say they'll handle 4 ohms, so like Timothy I haven't looked too closely at 4 ohm speakers.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 895
NAD or Rotel. Unless a tuner is important, you may also want to look at integrated amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 64
USED

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 91
I say go with the Energy C-3s .. They're outstanding for their size and price. It may be JUST over your budget though. You might be able to cut a deal though.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 204
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/LingSingle.htm

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 163
No professional reviews for the ling single or the other speaker they make.

Anyone know anything about this thing?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 205
Review coming.
http://www.positive-feedback.com/previews.htm

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 168
Review coming.
http://www.positive-feedback.com/previews.htm

Yes, of the more expensive model.

Do you have a review of the Ling / Alegria line timn8ter?

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 686
There are 2 other options that will get you even more quality - buy them used at www.audiogon.com or if you are DIY kind of guy, build a kit.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 687
You can also search the web for good deals on speakers that cost more - like this one:

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/42c160cb002c7c1e2740ac10033a0616/Pro duct/View/2322&2D2

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 207
"Do you have a review of the Ling / Alegria line timn8ter?"

Yes, but it would be biased. Best to wait for the PF review. Should be out Friday.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 170
Be sure to post a link here - will give us something new to argue about!

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 246
CSW Model Six
http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Reviews/CSW_2/

They've improved since that review was written, both in terms of quality (they added a brace to the front baffle) and price. They're pretty fun to tweak around with too.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 208
"Be sure to post a link here - will give us something new to argue about!"

Gee, I can hardly wait.

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 54
Wharfedale Diamonds. The 8.1 is good but lacks bass. They say the 9.1s are better.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 209
You asked for it, so here it is.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue20/alegrialing.htm

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 192
nice review, nice speaker

Hope you get more reviews so the lings get in the mix of speakers people listen to and consider when buying.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 103
What is your price range?

Anonymous

Look at the thread title Tawaun.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Ok sorry a little tired,well here goes mine: Epos ELS 3,Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and if you can stretch out to $30 extra Usher HTS-520s they are far better than any other bookshelf on the market at that price even up to about $500.And the build quality is as good as speakers at $2000 its worth the extra pennies.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1043
I answered with Epos ELS3's earlier in this thread. Good speaker aren't they?

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Yeah,they are great but like most really good speakers they need good electronics to sound thier best.But Ushers are far better though when you consider the Diamond 9.1 are $350 and the Ushers are $370 to $ 370 to $ 400 they are really in aclass by themselves.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 197
Anyone compared the Epos and the Energy C3?

I never heard of the Ushers - thanks Tawaun.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
I havent heard Energys in along time,when i first heard the exl series i was expecting big things from the reviews and they were so bright it hurt my ears so im not the right person to give them credit but check out Ushers website:www.usherusa.net you will be amazed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
"well here goes mine: Epos ELS 3,Wharfedale Diamond 9.1"

both are 4 Ohm speakers which may cause me problems when trying to buy a somewhat inexpensive 6.1 receiver.

I am considering the NHT SB3, Ascend CBM-170, Energy C-3 and the Paradigm Titan's because of that - 8 Ohm impedance.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 274
The Wharfedale 9.1 is NOT 4 ohms....it is 6 ohms that is compatible with 8 ohm receivers.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 222
If you're concerned about impedance load take another look at the Ling's. They have an very friendly impedance curve.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/LingImpedance.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
So, if I consider getting 6 Ohm speakers, such as the Monitor Audio Bronze B2's or Wharfdale Diamond 9.1's WHAT do I need to be sure to look for in a 6.1 receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 275
Your receiver should be able to handle different loads even though the speaker itself may say 6 or 8 ohms as the load on the amplifier is never stable. NAD, Harmon Kardon and a couple of other popular models support these loads and more. I would say the NAD is the most musical if you plan on listening to music along with movies and the dynamic range will blow you away.

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 30
Tawaun, the difference between the Energy exl series and the Connoisseur Series is night and day. The C3s in particular have a very nice neutral sound. They really tamed the brightness in the earlier series.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 198
Timothy wrote

"both (Epos and Wharfdale) are 4 Ohm speakers which may cause me problems when trying to buy a somewhat inexpensive 6.1 receiver.

I am considering the NHT SB3, Ascend CBM-170, Energy C-3 and the Paradigm Titan's because of that - 8 Ohm impedance."

I saw an epos review that compared the Epos to the SB3 and it seemed to say the SB3 was better in every way, but also twice the price.

Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 4
Kef Q1????????? Whats your opinion???

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1063
If you're worried about not having enough power to drive the 4 ohm Epos I would forget about the NHT's which are very inefficient. The Paradigm Titan is not in the same class but the Paradigm Mini Monitor is and is relatively efficient. I owned both the NHT and the Mini. It takes less power to get more music from the Mini.

Username: Iknownuttin

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 8
You might want to look at the Onkyo TX-LR552 for a low cost 6.1 or spring a little more for the 602/702 if you have a lot of hardware to hookup. Last year I got the TX-SR701 6.1 and a Denon 1600 for under $400 ($383 to be exact). They do a pretty good job with my Ohm Micro Walsh Talls. Not quite as good as my old NAD 7155 (RIP) but better then most that I listen to last year. Since you are planning to use sub's then it should be just fine.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 923
You asked for it, so here it is.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue20/alegrialing.htm

Timothy,

Congratulations! It looks like good value to me!
Hmmmm. Real wood.

The very high crossover point must make the time aligned crowd happy.

I hope you can demo them alongside David's Ascend. Sounds like they will hold their own well.

Anonymous

"The very high crossover point must make the time aligned crowd happy. "

Why's that Peter?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 924
The time alignment problems come from having different frequencies replicated through different drivers, after having done through a crossover to separate them. The crossover filters can add phase and time lag.

Same driver -> no crossover -> no lag. Only his very high frequncies might have a lag wrt the rest of the bandwidth.

(Are the same anonymous that says I never contribute and should go away?)

Anonymous

Regardless, there are 100% time aligned speakers available for less money.

(Yes, now shoo.)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 270
So, let's see. Friendly impedance curve, time-aligned, less than $350, 60Hz - 20kHz +/- 3db,
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/LingSingle.htm
Plus, this allows you the option of adding additional speakers that can serve as center and surrounds for a HT system with the bonus that all the speakers match (no tonality issues) and can play low enough to easily blend with any subwoofer.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 925
Anon,

I hate it when people ask questions they know the answer to. What it this, a test? What's your point in doing that?

(No, you go away)

Timothy, I hope you are succesful with it. Looks like you are having fun anyway... Good luck!

Peter

Anonymous

I like to see upon what basis people like to make their assertions. Although I have to agree with you that Timmy's product looks interesting.

Is it perfectly time aligned Tim, or are you just yanking my chain?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 271
There's only one driver so, yes.

Anonymous

From what I understand even a speaker with one driver can have phase/time alignment issues.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 273
What would it be out of phase/time alignment with?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 932
Timn8ter,

Anonymous here likes to draw us out to see what we know and then later respond with his truth. Like TAW did in another thread. It's not a discussion, it's a trap. And there's no need for you to fall into it.

Bronze Member
Username: Onimushalord

Post Number: 22
Hehehe..lol...I would have to agree with Tim on this, phase/time alignment is relative, if there's only 1 driver, I do not see any mis-alignment that could occur in this scenario.
Well Tim, shipping for some of us living in other countries is always a huge 'pushing' factor although I would really like demo some of your work.

Regardless, it's nice to know that sometimes we do get a bit more than what we pay for (as in your products and others in this competitive genre ie. ascends, axioms etc...)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 274
Peter:
It did seem to be a rather odd comment.

Onim:
On the Internet it seems we're all part of the same country. The reality is far from that. Thanks for your kind words.

Anonymous

Tim Tim: I do not claim to have vast knowledge of time alignment. Mauimusicman (the original) however, did state on several occasions that even a speaker with a single driver can have phase/time alignment issues. I believe Jan also mentioned that as the sound wave travels on the cone, problems can occur. So while it is electrically in phase, acoustically it may not be so.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 275
One Tim will do.
It's an area of much research and technically interesting but not on topic for this thread. Essentially that describes the shortcomings of pistonic transducers. The perfect acoustic transducer does not exist, yet.

Anonymous

Then how do some speakers claim to be "perfectly time coherent"? And if yours is, it would be one more thing to add to your site.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 276
Like many audio specs, it depends on how you're defining the term. Outside of that, I could make that claim, after all, who's going to prove otherwise? It seems to smack of another marketing ploy and I prefer to let people decide if they like the sound or not. Perhaps I'm being naive or perhaps jaded, especially after hearing the results of Earl Geddes and Lidia Lee and their research in acoustics.
"That's all I have to say about that".
Forrest Gump

Anonymous

Someone with a step response graph?

Anonymous

Of course in this application I suppose it doesn't really matter if it is time aligned or not. They still need a sub. It's much like saying my single driver computer speakers are time aligned. Good day gents :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
Tim you know i have never quized you like that snob says i do.And anyway some of the questions thats being asked about the speaker are good questions, Tim more people than you know are considering buying your speaker so dont listen to Peter he is a egomaniac that really doesent want you to do good.Remember customer feedback is the most important thing when you trying to sell a product.Your speaker on paper looks more impressive than any budget bookshelf on the market and people see the specs, they just want to be sure it works,every new designer goes thru this its nothing bad I cant wait to hear the results of the shoot out,I think you will come out victorious thats the push you will need.Word of mouth travels quickly in the audio industry and to places and people that you coudnt dream of,so get ready for success Tim,ignore people like Peter,peoples feedback is your allie,so good luck from the bottom of my heart for real.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 183
T-Man, I read Peter's post and I don't think he's looking for Tim to fail, just the opposite. In fact, he says:

"Timothy,
Congratulations! It looks like good value to me!
Hmmmm. Real wood.
The very high crossover point must make the time aligned crowd happy.
I hope you can demo them alongside David's Ascend. Sounds like they will hold their own well."

So T, I think you and Peter are on the same side on this one, too. I love this whole, "can't we just get along" role I've taken on. OK, now you guys can all blast me.

And then, just to make Peter, me and several others happy, Tim is sending me a pair of Lings to A/B against Ascend 170s.

So, everyone's invited to my house sometime this next week. Bring your own beverage and food, I'll supply the BBQ and sounds!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
Yeah thats gonna be real fun!

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 238
I will bring the Bose RoomMates adn we can have a three way shoot out!

I look forward to your report! Get a couple other people to listen too, if possible. That will be two more good reviews of Tim's speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
Yeah that really should be some easy votes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Don,

You're more than welcome to come on over BUT you could just ship them over in a legal size envelope along with some electrical wire, I don't think speaker wire would help them much. ROTFL

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 277
Nobody has offended me in the least here.

David,
You have a package coming

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
Tim,

I think they're talking about "Timothy" the original poster who actually wanted some advice on speakers. Occasionally, we get slightly off topic, now that might be a little understatement on my part. LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Thats ok Dakulis music is life and thats all we talk about each and every day is life it is one increadible way to express it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
T-Man,

It's me, David, I love life. Well, and Norah Jones. Let's get Timothy some speakers, though.

Lings, Ascends, Axioms, Paradigms, B & W and, I know your favorites, Wharfdale 9.1s. Choices, choices, choices, the spice of life.

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
well maybe he should wait until the shootout is over.I have a feeling about the Lings that crossover point thats just great.Timothy just have a little bit of patience man you might be able to get the deal of a lifetime.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 934
Dakulis, thanks for reading clearly through the FUD.

Timn8ter, I find I've made it abundantly clear where I stand! Congratulations again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us