Ascends

charlesdaniels
Unregistered guest
I have been lurking around for a while and noticed that the Ascends are mentioned frequently.
I was wondering of those who bought them or auditioned them, what did they compare them too and why did they end up going with ascend?

Anonymous

They compare directly to the 800 series B&W and Signature series Paradigm.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 406
hahahaha, yea right.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 856
Ascends compare with B&W 600 series and Paradigm Monitor series. My belief is that they lie somewhere between those series and the one above. Paradigm Signatures and B&W 800 series are in a different league.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 24
If this may help:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1072

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 124
nice link Jorge

Many people have compared them, though comparing them well would require buying them and setting them up with a audio meter to adjust the volume to be the same, etc. Probably not many have done that, but still - nice thread. I pick up my cbm 170s tomorrow and am getting psyched with pretty substantial customer reviews!!

charlesdaniels
Unregistered guest
I find it funny that so many people compare them to the Paradigm studio series, and so many people laugh at that comparison

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 940
that's a keen observation, charles.

However I'd add that those who compare them to the Paradigm studios usually have either owned or heard the Ascends AND the Paradigms, while the laughers usually have not ever heard the Ascends.

Only one sure way to find out: take a $25 chance (return shipping for a pair of CBM-170s) on the Ascend 30 day trial period and bring those suckers in to a Paradigm shop for an A/B comparison.

Bronze Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 88
Yeah Edster!!!

Hey, he talked me into it charles. It's worth the shot, mine arrived yesterday but not hooked up, yet. Probably tomorrow. Shipping for (2) 170s was approximately $20. So, it's a small risk for the quality, if these people are right, right?

By the way, I've looked at graphs, l've listened to some other speakers now and nothing beats hearing them in your own listening environment. So, I'll shut up now because I'm the newbie, not the expert now.

tequila22
Unregistered guest
Thats a good point Edster. I have heard both and one of them I prefer over the other. I would not go about laughing people off if I had not heard both. I am more amused not by the people who prefer the Ascends but by the people who have only heard the Paradigms. If you search the various forums out there, this comparison comes up often. There will always be someone who says there is no comparison, that paradigm is a superior product, and no internet direct dealer could ever match an established company like Paradigm. These are usually the people who have never both products, and probably, no matter how good the product is, would never admit it.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 846
So, I'll shut up now because I'm the newbie, not the expert now.

If you're a newbie, you're a wise one!

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 866
I've done the internet direct highly touted product thing. Never again. I will have to hear first. It's safe to say that any goober can compare any speaker to anything he/she likes. I was just reading a thread where someone was comparing the Paradigm S8 to the Wilson Maxx 2. This is audio and everyone has an opinion and everyone wants to believe that what they have is either very good or needs replaced. It's the nature of the beast. Let your own ears to do the judging. Now that I happily have my money back I can say out loud that the SVS sub I bought was not only unacceptable but it was just downright bad. You put your hand on the cabinet and you can feel it vibrate even at very low volumes. Basically it was overgrown windbag. But alot of people like them. We all have different tastes. It's ok to proud of your gear and compare to whatever you want but understand that others will disagree.

Silver Member

Post Number: 947
Art,

I just can't resist calling your attention to the fact that return shipping on a pair of Ascend 170s is bound to be FAR FAR less painful than for some huge SVS sub. ($20 compared to $100?)

: )

Somed00d
Unregistered guest
I haven't compared the Ascends to the Paradigm Studio series, but I have compared them to the PSB Stratus mini (which many people say are similiar to the studio series, but not as bright).

I owned both for about a year ( at seperate times) and had both it in the same room at the sametime for about a month or so. It really was no contest, the PSB's were far more musical , far more coherant, had more ambience MUCH better decay ( ahh i love airy speakers) and to me just sounded like real music.

The PSB's do have their problems though, but thats true with any speaker.

With the Ascend I always felt I was listening to the speaker, not the music- this is subjective however since different people listen for different things.

Something that struck me is when someone said the Ascends "lacked treble" compared to Athenas and Axioms, well thats just because Athenas and Axioms are bright and youre just hearing a tizzy harsh tweeter- samething happened to me when I went from PSB image 2b's to the Ascends.

The Ascends are actually really good speakers for the price, you just have to make sure the sound is for you. I also like their customer service, which is rare these days since the mighty dollar is everyones first priority. I like what these guys are doing and urge anyway who is curious to give them a listen, but also do so with an open mind and do compare them to other speakers.

I noticed most reviewers on audioreview.com listed Bose, Sony, Polk etc etc. in their similiar products used category. Of course, compared to these brands, Ascend will dominate.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 871
Edster, money lost is money lost. Certainly $20 is less painful than the larger sum. I was just struck by how low quality the SVS really was. I hope Hsu and Outlaw are markedly better. Again Edster I think you are either younger than I am or have more energy because I find the whole shipping fiasco to be an extreme pain. I don't mind driving from dealer to dealer to audition gear but when it comes to shipping and all of that good rot I'd rather leave that to someone who gets paid for it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Well, thanks Peter for the compliment. Yeah, sometimes is smart to know when to shut up.

Now, I can say that I've heard the Ascends and I don't want to take over Charles string but I was/am impressed. They're definitely not going back yet. I'll still plan on previewing them against other speakers. I have much better sound than I was getting with my old setup. For more information, I'll post on my old string. Thanks Edster, you're the man.

Silver Member

Post Number: 952
> I don't mind driving from dealer to dealer to audition gear but when it comes to shipping and all of that good rot I'd rather leave that to someone who gets paid for it.

Dunno about that Art, shopping also entails a lot of time driving around, standing around, and also listening to salespeople.

Shipping back = put it back in the box, drive to closest UPS store, send it back.

I am probably am younger than you (mid 30s) but these are small bookshelves not Paul's behemoth CVs we're talking about here, it's not like you're going to get a hernia carrying them to your car and to the UPS counter! : )

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 145
I carried some from a house to my car and back to my house yesterday. Big but not too heavy - in the box. No hernia.

Or drive to the UPS store and have them do it.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 874
Actually Edster if you broke your back in a car accident like I did you might. But your point is well taken. When you go to a good (emphasis on good) audio store the sales people aren't a burden they are an asset.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Art,

Give me a call, next time I'm in Portland I'll carry your stereo equipment door to door for ya. :-O OUCH!

However, I would carry your equipment over Peter's or Paul's (My wife's name is Mary, BTW.) The only way you're moving their stuff is with a crane, I suspect. LOL

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 855
LOL!

My wife refused to help me carry my speakers downstairs; I had to call a friend. And they come apart in two pieces!

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 883
No doubt. Peter's speakers would require piano crates (big piano). Thanks David, oh and btw I have to go Eugene tommorrow to pick up my sub(I've been using the demo). I'll be expecting you by 9:00 please! And bring Peter's friends and perhaps we can rearrange my living room. Oh and I could use some garden work, perhaps............
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us