Wow I think I blundered with Onkyo! Help!

Username: Mafusto

Columbus, Ohio

Post Number: 7
Ok so I was happy with my setup for about a minute. Onkyo TXSR702 powering my B&W's 600 series.

I noticed practically no sound was coming out of my speakers until I hit 19 on my volume control. 50 was my magic number for movies. For music I set it a little lower but was confused as to why I had to set my volume so high in the first place.

I blamed my lack of knowledge on impedance settings and other tweaking know-how. After reading the manual front to back I found there is no way to tweak the setting and seems as though the 702 isn't really 100x7. I got some info from my other post which proves that theory correct. Now I have great speakers with an inadequate receiver.

Ok so what do I want? All I really want is to get my money's worth and power my B&W's adequately.

Should I get an amp?

Should I return the receiver?

Should I write ID10T on my forehead because the setting can be tweaked by powering off the receiver while standing on one leg singing Jimmy crack corn?

Have I mentioned I was a newbie?

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
How much can you/do you want to spend? You can get a B-Stock Outlaw Audio 7100 (a real 7x100w) amp for $825, or A-stock for $899 and use it with your Onkyo. Or you can get a couple of their M200 monoblocks (200w, $299) to power front speakers and take some of the duty away from your receiver.

Or you can sell the Onkyo and get a Denon 3805 or higher, an HK AVR435 or higher, or several other receivers. It's all about the $$ at this point.

Bronze Member
Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 25
Did you buy the Onkyo at a Circuit City? If so then just take it back within 30 days of purchase. They are really cool about taking back anything due to their garuntee. if you have the origional box and the receipt then you should not have an issue with even a restocking fee. But yeah Onkyo seems to inflate their numbers a bit. The 901 series was tested out with only 50WPC when the claimed number was higher. That paired with the fact that B&W's demand a minimum of 50WPC. Take this post though to the Receiver forum for more information on other alternatives to Onkyo. :-) Outlaw is a good choice as well as NAD for an amp. Both are about the same price.

Anonymous

Of course the NR-1000 was tested to 133.7 WPC.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/OnkyoTX-NR1000lab.pdf

The Marantz SR7200 posted some interesting numbers too....

http://geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm?20055

You might also note that 7 of the 9 Onkyo's did actually perform alright given their rated power.

Bronze Member
Username: Mafusto

Columbus, Ohio

Post Number: 13
Anonymous,
I must of got one of the two out of 7 which were broke.

I finally got through to Onkyo support. They told me the receiver is not working correctly and should be returned before it causes damage to my speakers.

I'm going to try my luck with a AVR2805 Denon. I should of just bought the Denon in the first place since I auditioned my B&W's with it at the store.

Like I said before the Onkyo sounded great until I realized I had no power left and was not being blown away by my speakers. I would venture to say at this point not many of you have been able to crank the volume to max on your receivers while being able to stand in the same room. well I can and Onkyo agreed something is not right with that receiver. I'm not going to say Onkyo is bad just that I got a bad unit.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 931
For $5000, the NR-1000 darn *better* live up to its numbers! : )

But you have a good point with that Marantz 7200 there, I didn't notice it before.

I was just shocked when I saw the numbers for the NR-901, which at that time was their flagship if I'm not mistaken.

Anonymous

It sounds like a bad unit for sure. My TX-SR500 cranks loud enough at 75 that it pissed off my neighbors in my old apartment. I can't stand to be in the same room with it much louder than that either. My speakers have an efficiency of 90dB@1w@1m so they aren't anything special either.

Walrus
Unregistered guest
look at the Onkyo TX-SR2400, just came out last week with a hybrid digital recodex monobridge transformer. Combines the best of a tube amp and an electric tuba.

Anonymous

Why go for the budget model? Go for the TX-SR505353453.853.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 60
Annonymous says "Of course the NR-1000 was tested to 133.7 WPC" Read the fine print. 137 watts at 1KHZ
Anyone here listen to 1khz test tones? I don't. I listen to music played thru speakers. Those specs mean nothing to me, you, anonymous or the man in the moon. What does the amp do when driving a real speaker playing real music? Thats what I wanna see tested. Gotta understand the specs to make educated choices.

Anonymous

Its a benchmark Paul. No, you cant figure out what the receiver will sound like and no one claimed you could. But you can get a general idea of its power capacity as compared with other receivers which undergo the same test by such a benchmark.

Idiot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us