Yamaha RX-V2400 or Denon 3805

Username: Powerplayer

Post Number: 1
Well I thought I 'd find the same topic posted here by someone else but I was wrong!
Anyway I'm in the process of getting one ASAP (you know the feeling...) and since I heard about the Yamaha first, I looked everywhere here in Europe and can't locate it anywhere! Just now someone told me about the new Denon 3805, looked for specs and found out that it's as good and maybe a bit better (remote control and extra component input as far as I can tell), same exact specs, I think the Denon doesn't have the THX like the Yamaha does, but other than that same stuff and same price and also availability for the Denon here in Athens, Greece, maybe even within next week.
Does anyone know and advise on the matter?! Any comparison tests?!
Also keep in mind that no one can safely say when the Yamaha will be available here!
Peace,

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 286
I haven't seen the new Denon at any stores yet, online or brick and mortar. So I would assume that there hasn't been any tests by publications on the Denon 3805 yet, not to mention any comparisons. The only thing you can compare now are the published features.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 45
Ted,
I know you may be anxious to get your system but IMHO you should wait until you can make a side by side comparison and not take other folk's opinions on this. Everybody has opinions and preferences and they are certainly subject to different individual tastes.

The 3805 is hot off the press on release so there probably are limted personal experiences out there at this stage.

While the specs between the 2400 and the 3805 my be comparable, they are definitely two different units which will have different sound. As you will also find in advice from others here the match of the receiver to your speakers is also critical.

This is my 2 cents and good luck.

Username: Powerplayer

Post Number: 2
I agree and I understand, but unfortunatelly the delivery "and must have ASAP" factor is above all, since the installation has to finish and be operational! The speakers are Infinity Delta 40 which are very very good, in my taste and opinion always.
Also the possibility of having a side by side comparison is close to impossible here in Greece, of course no talk of having both the units here in my place with my speakers and give 'em a try!
Anyway, from what I hear Denon must have a better sound and probably would be available sooner (start of april), it has an extra component video input and a much better remote controller...
Thanx guys...

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 29
Does the Yamaha have i-link?

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 292
I don't see firewire (i-link) listed as a feature on the Yammie 1400 or 2400. I think you'd have to go to their top of the line Z9. I don't even think the Z1 has firewire.

I would ask Denon if their Denon-link is compatible with non-Denon products. I have read that the Denon-link variety of firewire is not compatible with other brands.

So far as I have read and experienced the Pioneer Elite 55Txi is the least expensive receiver with i-link. I have the 49Txi and the i-link on that model can be hooked up to Mitsubishi and Hitachi HDTV's with firewire and HDTV receivers with firewire, besides the Pioneer Elite dvd's with i-link (firewire). Now I don't know (and I doubt) that the Elite will have the same degree of "intelligent" communication with other brand firewire dvd players as they have with their own brand. It will probably work fine, but it probably won't tell the receiver the kind of disc and other information that make the Pioneer receiver and dvd player act intelligently together. But it will probably function as the same bandwidth with other brands.

Bronze Member
Username: Cargoil

San Diego, Ca US

Post Number: 19
Here's what I had to say in another thread. Either one I feel are excellent receivers. Wow! I just hooked up my new 3805. I got one of the first here in San Diego. It is awesome! I set it up manually for the first test run and even with my tin ear it sounds fantastic. I had a Yamaha 1300 and considered the 2400. In fact I had the 2400 for awhile on a test run. I heard about the 3805 and always loved Denon. After playing a few of my favorite cuts in both stereo and SACD the performance is incredible. I thought the 2400 was an improvement but this bad boy makes my Vienna Acoustics just rock. My son and I (from Tweeters) played with it till about 2:00am the other night. The quality of the sound and sound stage it presents is the best I have heard, at least with my system. The PL2x for TV viewing is perfect. If anyone on this site is still considering a new receiver, I would wait to hear this one. The only draw back I have encountered so far is the fact Denon does not provide the mike for the automatic set up the receiver provides. It was quite simple to do manually but I do want to try the auto mode when I can. It doesn't have THX but with the different DSP's available I'm sure I can come close to duplicating Lucas. The little bit of Jurassic Park I played was enough to convince me I can live with out the THX. I hope a few people on this site give it a listen and let me know what they think.

Anonymous

I'm seeking advice. I have a Yamaha RX-V2300, but have had no end of warranty repair problems with Yamaha gear. Maybe I need to look at another brand, which is more reliable. I have a 5.1 HT B&W CM & ASW CDM speaker set up, and use it 50/50 HT and music. What 100+Watt A/V amp's should I look for to get excellent sound quality, reliability and value?

Unregistered guest
iam a rookie,am choosing between yamaha rxv1400 and onkyo sr801,which is beter? and what speaker is perfect for it? hoping to get an advise,thanks very much

Unregistered guest
help,which speaker is perfect for yamaha rx v1400? thanks

Phil
Unregistered guest
For those of you who have tested / own the Denon 3805, can the crossover frequency be completely tweeked independently for each speaker (i.e. can I choose a 100hz xover for the rears and a 60hz xover frequency for the front l/r and center channel) or is it set up with the more simplified large/small speaker settings all the way around?

Has anyone had a chance to use the auto calibration? If so, how significant of an equalization change did the receiver make and was the change a definite improvement in sound quality?

Also, does anyone know if you can upgrade this unit through the RS232C port, as you can with other Denon models?

Finally, how significant of a receiver hookup option is firewire if I have a newer HDTV that lacks firewire and which I have no plans on replacing? What kind of audible difference would firewire make with a DVD player?

Thanks

Ro-Ro 9
Unregistered guest
Bought RXV 2400 and paired it with BMW speakers. I am glad that I have chosen Yamaha over Denon 3803. The features are unbelievable and the sound for HT is superb. Recommend to buy Yamaha over Denon.

tmworkman
Unregistered guest
I'm looking to pair the Yamaha RX-V2400 with Niles HD8R, Niles CM6HD and a Klipsch RW-10 subwoofer. Does anyone have a similar system?

Username: Bob_bulot

Can someone direct me to a thread that deals with the RXV 2400 alone (since I already bought one)? THANX!

helper bee
Unregistered guest

quote:

Can someone direct me to a thread that deals with the RXV 2400 alone (since I already bought one)? THANX!

here try this

DaveL
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a 3805 for use as a pre/pro and it does sound great but as with all "auto-setup" receivers, theres always a catch. First the pluses, component video processing shows no degradation and works great, being able to see the onscreen menu via component outs is conveinant. The sound even completely unequalized is great, the pure direct mode sounds awesome on both digital and analog in. Keep in mind my frame of reference, I am upgrading (some people would say downgrading) from a Rotel 1066 pre/pro. Now for the catch, the "Room EQ" as Denon calls it is a parametric eq that is auto adjusted during setup. The processor makes the following adjustments: sets the band, the q, and boost/cut for 8 bands on each speaker. Unfortunately it does nothing but set level and delay for the sub. Also judging from the sound, the eq processing happens prior to the crossover processing. In other words if during auto setup the Denon CPU determined your right front speaker required a -5db cut at 22hz to sound flat and after auto setup you set all your speakers to "small" you will receive much less low bass from your sub, because the aggregate signal going to the sub is cut by -5db at 22hz (definitely not what you want, unless you hate low bass). The behavior is easy to reproduce and easy to measure with a SPL meter (or feel during movies like U571). The downfall is that auto setup forcibly chooses your speaker size (large/small) for you, no matter if you set your speakers to small first then run setup it still changes them back. Its a shame, Denon should be aware that most high end theaters dont run anything below 80hz to the mains, the surrounds, or rears. The algorithm would be much better if it allowed speaker size adjustment stickiness, ie I set my speakers to small and my crossover to 80hz therefore the computer should only attempt to equalize frequencies 80hz and above. Also once the "Room EQ" is set by the cpu the user cannot touch the settings, not even boost/cut to attempt to fix any mistakes the computer may have made. They offer a manual eq setting for the "Room EQ" but it is nothing more than a cheesy fixed 8 band eq ( a far cry from a parametric). In contrast for music and 2 channel listening the automatic settings did an excellent job making my Rocket 750's sound excellent. I like the sound of the 3805 and may end up keeping it based on the quality of the processor, the sound stage, and how well movies sound even unequalized. Its just unfortunate to buy a piece of equipment with a great feature that you cannot use. The hard part of home theater setup has always been room correction and equalization, not setting delay or levels, those are easy. In Denons defense I have to say I have yet to see a receiver or pre/pro that does what I need it to do short of some Sunfire gear that I wont be able to afford in this lifetime.

passerby
Unregistered guest
i think the auto eq only adjusts down to 40hz. not that it makes much of a difference regarding your issue...jug that it won't be adjusting down to the 22hz level

thanks for the feedback though. the 3805 is definitely one rcvr that i'm considering (along with the nad t773 and marantz 8400) and may be powering rocket 550s with it in the future.

DaveL
Unregistered guest
It adjusts any frequency from 20-20khz and can actually set the Q extremely wide or extremely narrow. The scenario I illustrated above(22hz) is my actual situation. I also have one surround that received a similiar cut at around 38hz. In any case I have had some more time to listen to this receiver both for movies and for music and I am without a doubt keeping it. My overrall opinion has improved based completely on sound quality. I have also recently auditioned home theater systems with much higher priced componenets that dont even come close on sound. I can only recommend dont use the auto-eq curves for movies, let the auto setup set your delay and levels but set eq to off, especially for movies with lots of extremely low bass. For music the eq settings are amazing, imaging is so much better I cant put it into words what it does for the sound. Which makes sense, music sounds best at close to flat freq response, movies dont. This is a top notch receiver and due to its new features (regardless of their flaws) & sound I'd put this above any offering from Rotel or Marantz. Comparing this unit against Yamaha or Pioneer I think is a mistake, soundwise they arent even in the same league as the Denon. At a very basic level the 55txi doesnt even have high bandwidth video(above 100) processing. Keep in mind for my review, I dont use the power section of the Denon, I use an Outlaw 770(in excess of 2000 watts at 4ohms) for power. If you are going to use the receiver for actually powering your speakers I think the only decent amp ever built into a receiver is in the Rotel but this is largely a matter of opinion. I dont really like the sound of the power amps in the Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, or Marantz. Bottom line,a seperate power amp will make any of these receivers sound infinitely better.

Unregistered guest
Could someone tell me which would be the best AV for the Kef 2005.2 I am think about Denon 3805 or the Yamaha RX-V2400.

Anonymous

Ramesh...a made in Mumbai Denon 3805 is good for your Kefs.

Username: Dirtrider

Chicago, IL

I am torn between 2 receivers. Then denon 3805 or the yamaha rx-v1400. It will be powering my klipsch reference rp3, rc3, rs3, rs35 7.2 speaker system.
1. What receiver is the equalizer better in? Having read the posts above it sounds like yamahas might be better but I am not sure.
2. What receiver do you recommend and why?
3. Denon has their proprietary i-link and an extra component input plus a bit better remote it looks like but besides those small features does it have anything else. It costs much more so that is why I am wondering what it buys me.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 347
IMO you could not pick two worse receivers for Klipsch[except for Sony] than Denon and Yamaha. The Klipsch are very bright and both receivers are thin sounding and not a good match. Klipsch need a much mellower sounding receiever unless you like lots of brightness and sibilance.
If you are open to other brands I would audition Marantz, Elite, H/K and NAD.

Chicago, IL

hmmmm... that is quite a statement.

On the klipsch forums there is probably no more popular receiver used than the denon models. They are generally considered a warm receiver from what I have read.

The yamaha is traditionally considered a bright receiver but the new ones are much more mellow from what others have said. I did actually try a rx-v2400 with my system but I don't have a very trained ear and didn't hear too much difference from my $300 onkyo (i think sr-500 or something). It was maybe a little brighter.

Thanks for the opinion. Do you have a setup similar or what is the basis of your statement? Other opinions welcome as I am trying to get a wealth of info here.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 349
I have heard Denon's for many years paired with Klipsch and others and there is no way Denon could ever be considered warm. Just the opposite. I owned the 2802 and liked it very much. I "upgraded" to the 3803 and it was beyond awful with my old Def Tech DR-7 speakers which are not at all on the bright side. I have a local store that sells Klipsch and Denon, Elite and Sonyes and I have heard them all together many times and the Elite is the only one that doesn't make me want to run out of the store. Matching speakers and recievers is just so important and for the extreme brightness of the Klipsch the mellower the reciever the better. This is not to say Yamaha or Denon are totally bad. Paired with the right speakers both can be fine; with Klipsch it's a sonic disaster IMO.

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 3
Well I am not opposed to elite. It seems that the 55txi (I think it was when I last looked at pioneer) was a good value at street prices. Their universal players and non-proprietary i link is a plus too.
I just purchased 2 more surrounds for my system though hoping for a 7.2 system. Therefore I wanted to make sure to get PLIIx. From what I understand, without it I am not going to be using the additional 2 speakers as dvds don't have the 7.1 audio track yet (is it called EX or something?). As you can tell I could use some clarification on this subject.
I don't think that the pioneer models in that price range had PLIIx. Any knowledge of one coming out? I think that pioneer had ethernet too which is also cool. On the negative I have heard that the component upconversion, reliability, and amps aren't as good.

VCody
Unregistered guest
Elitefan1:

Would your comments on matching receivers with Klipsch speakers be the same with NHT? I have a 7.1 set-up and so key factors for me are: (1) DPLIIx; (2) musicality/match w/ speakers; and (3) auto-set-up/EQ. This leaves out Pio Elite (no DPLIIx), and was going to test Marantz, H/K, Yamaha and Denon w/ a bias to Denon b/c thought it was warm (tho not as much as Marantz or H/K)and had auto-setup. What do you think?
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 119
I agree with therealelitefan on the characteristics of the Denon receiver and the Klipsch speakers, with a slightly different opinion on the pairing. Yes the Denons have a thin sound (albeit detailed) and the Klipsch are certainly on the bright side, but they also tend to produce a full sound, which seems to neutralize the Denon's thinness. I think that's why some people actually prefer this combo. However, the Denon doesn't neutralize the Klipsch's brightness. That's the problem for me. I find the combo a little fatiguing. I like Klipsch speakers (I own a pair myself) but they need to be carefully matched to a warm, laid-back amp. I find good Klipsch speakers sound wonderful with tube amps or solid state amps with the warm, laid-back qualities of tube gear. So basically I agree with therealelitefan's conclusion and recommendation of Marantz, Pioneer Elite and H/K as possibly good matches for the Klipsch.

One advantage of Klipsch speakers is their efficiency. You don't need a whole lot of power to get the best out of them.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 108
i have both jbl and klipsch speakers on my movie/
surround system and they seem to pair very nice
with an hk 525 reciever which is rated at 85 a channel.

and let me tell you it's very nice and clear with
plenty of volume.

my 2 channel listening room is quite different.

but the hk reciever with the klipsch and jbl's
that are both on the bright side and efficient
works wonderful.

Username: Twright_bmw

London, London Uk

I have just auditioned the Denon 3805 and the Yamaha RXV2400. In the Uk these two receivers retail at the same price (I know in the US the Denon costs more)

In my opinion the Denon had a "bigger", more expansive sound, with a lot more bass being fed to the sub, but the Yamaha picked up a lot of fine detail that the Denon did not.

I was leaning towards the Yamaha but the guy who demoed the receivers advised me that the Yamaha can become a little tiresome the longer you listen to it.

Any advice on which is the better of these much appreciated.

Also....I tested the RXV2400 against the 1400 and could not tell the difference....any ideas here ?

Here is my speaker system

Front/Centre - M & K K-17
Rears - M & K K4
Sub - B&W ASW 675

Username: Erimi

Sao Jos dos Pinhais, Parana Brazil

I have a front B&W DM 600 S3 and I intend to go to Yamaha RX-V1400
I have no idea in how it works with B&W.
Any expirience will be graet to hear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us