Downfiring or frontal

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Post Number: 15
which type of subwoofer do you prefer? or think is better?

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 683
Downfiring, seems less directional.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 357
ditto

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 719
I've never heard a front firing one in my home, only 3 different down-firing ones. Directionality shouldn't matter is croosed over low enough, right? say 80 Hz?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4003

Yes, bass becomes increasingly omnidirectional as the frequency descends. Localization of a bass signal is taken from the rising harmonics of the signal which are produced predominantly by the satelites. At the frequencies a typical subwoofer operates in a home audio or home theater system, there shouldn't be significant output at any frequency that lends directionality to the subwoofer. If that were actually the situation, you would need two subwoofers to maintain left/right balance; would you not?

In my opinion the front firing sub will allow more placement options. A downfiring sub will be dependent, to some extent, on the distance from the driver to the floor for its reinforcement effects. Since most people have their subwoofer placed on the floor, this is most often not a problem. The subwoofer designer can count on that distance and the amount of boost it provides when designing the system. But I have found the smoothest response to be off the floor on a short, rigid stand. It eliminates one boundary effect which tends to add lumpiness and thickness to the bass. Of course, if that lumpiness and thickness are the sound you desire ...

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 732
I have found the smoothest response to be off the floor on a short, rigid stand. It eliminates one boundary effect which tends to add lumpiness and thickness to the bass.

Interesting. I might try that sometime. Thanks for the tip!

Hey, you broke 4000 posts!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4007

Shhhhhhhh ... some people don't like to hear that.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 733
Just 60 more posts and you take the number 3 spot.
Then number 2 is close...
But you'll need to double to reach number 1!

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 375
Glasswolf is overrated anyway. One of jans posts makes up about 10 of his.

Samuellel
Unregistered guest
I have been giving this a lot of consideration and I can't make up my mind. What are your thoughts?
Which one has a better deal Dishnetwork or Directtv?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us