HSU STF2... STF3... or VTF2mk2 which one?

Username: Cm73

Post Number: 10
Hello,

Now armed with my new amp, my sad 8" jbl is heading for retirement. I am in Canada, and have read many good reviews of the HSU subs. My dilemna, I cant test drive these personally so looking for advice. HSU STF2... STF3... or VTF2mk2, all 3 are within budget. Just looking for the right sub to match my 12" fronts. I am 50/50 on music to HT.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 632
How big is the room?
What loudspeakers are you matching to?

Unless you really want the nicer finish of the VTF series, I would prefer the STF-3 (which I own) over the VTF-2 because I don't think you'll be likely to use the 32 Hz mode of the VTF after trying the 25 Hz mode. So might as well get a fixed 25 Hz sub for better value.

My room is 11'x30'x8', and I use about 18' of the 30' length for the HT/music area. The STF-3 has no problems with a room this size. After calibration to my mains, I can turn up the dial to reach "reference" SPL in the room and the sub never clips on LFE inputs. It shakes the house.

On music, it is very quick and clean and does a very nice job blending in.

If you're close to my area, come for a listen (but I doubt you are!)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hey Peter, thanks for the response. The speakers are cerwin vega with 12" woofers. they will be next to go. i was under teh impression that the vtf if the more musical. the room is about 15x25 its a basement with berber carpet. about 9' celing. the sub i have no, came free with my rears. as i get more into this, i am realizing more and more. looking for a sub with some longeivity.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 635
The STF is like a VTF but without the variable tuning. It's isn't any less musical. The room is large and I think you wouldn't regret going for the larger unit. If you can't spring the VTF-3, get the STF-3.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hey Peter, thanks for all your help. To my suprise I was able to track down a store went into the store and test drove them all. I have a very low WAF as I build my system aka (replace things I already have) and based on the size of the box, went with the mid way VTF2 MK2. The box size was just right. I remeasured my room, i was off. i was 15 feet deep, maybe 17 wide. I even got a few emails from teh good dr who event commented on my pending WAF..... he's ok.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 650
Good stuff!

How does it sound? What tuning are you ending up using?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Hey Peter,

The beast is a monster. If this is the medium one, I don't know what to expect from the 3 Series.

I am currently using the 1 port tuning. With star wars ep5. the house shook. I am only at 9 oclock on the volume running it a little hot from the receiver. Its easily the most substantial increase in my system.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 672
Great! I was pretty sure you'd like it. I was amazed when I got my sub last fall. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us