Need help with an amp

Username: Jr66

Post Number: 4
Hi all, hopfully i can get some feedback.

Im looking to get a new 7 channel amp for my H/T

Ive done some research and really dont know which direction to go in.

Im running the following system
Denon 4802r Receiver, Denon DVM 4800 DVD player
Paradigm Studio 100's which i love
Paradigm cc 570 front and cc 470 rear
aswell as paradigm adp 470 surrounds all are version 3, My sub is Paradigm pw 2200.

i thought i would list everything as im sure some amps dont work well with some speakers and receivers.

Thanks for your time

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 143
Justin assuming you are going to use your Denon as the pre/pro there are many great solid state multichannel amps out there, Adcom,Parasound,Krell,Sherbourne,ATI to name a few. E.Ramsey

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
Also check out Outlaw Audio. Great prices, great reviews, and 30-day in-home trial. You can get the 770 (7x200W) or 7 of the M200 Monoblocks depending on your preference and configuration.

Post Number: 6
Is it silly to use the denon as a pre/pro or is that normal for most, ill check out what you have listed, ive seen a few but they seem pricey.

whats the diffrence between monoblocks and normal, i listen to some music but prefer to watch movies with a lot of sound.

look forward to hearing from you both again

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
A multichannel amp will generally utilize a single power source to power all channels from a central location. Monoblocks are single channel amps, each with their own power source, that can be placed in a central location or individually placed near the speaker it's powering. There are advantages and disadvantages to both - most feel that having a dedicated power source for each channel (the monoblock route) provides better sound quality; but you need to have the available outlets (preferably on different circuits), the space, and the ability to run interconnects to each of the monoblocks.

It is not uncommon to use a receiver like the 4802 as a pre/pro. The 4802 is a pretty robust receiver, so you will have to shell out some $$ for an amp that will make an improvement over what you have. Outlaw really seems to provide the 'best bang for the buck,' but all of the other brands mentioned are very good.

Post Number: 10
So i would just use the preouts for each speaker and run them to an amp then to the speaker, so would the set be the same ??
using monoblock or the other!

You mention circuits and interconnects in not sure i understand that part.

I was looking at the NAD T973 it is a monoblock unit, what do you think of it??

Thanks again for your time, your help is greatly appreciated!!

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
The NAD T973 is actually a multi-channel amp (7 channels), but it essentially uses 7 monoblock amplifiers in one cabinet. I have not heard this amp, but I would imagine it sounds great.

Interconnects run from the pre-outs on the 4802 into the inputs on the amp. These are single RCA-type cables for each channel. You would then connect speakers to the amp's speaker terminals instead of to the 4802.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 145
Yes that's exactly what you do Justin. Run your preamp outs on your receiver with standard analog(RCA) cables to the RCA inputs on the amplifier and the speaker wire from the amp to each speaker. Excellent choice on the amp, that NAD is excellent. It has a Holmgren torridial transformer in it- A quality piece used in many an amp and receiver for years. Although the 4802 is an excellent receiver, this should be a considerable step up. Happy listening! E.Ramsey

Silver Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 122
What kind of $$$ are you looking to spend on an amp and do you plan to purchase new or used? There are great deals to be found on some older amps on Audiogon etc. that for the money will put most new amps to shame. Proceed, Aragon, Bryston and Sunfire are some of the names you should check out that would be a marked improvement over your Denon. Most of these retailed for well over $4000 CDN when new. Some brands like Bryston have a 20 year transferable warranty so you shouldn't be shy about purchasing used amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
So you both would say the NAD 973 over the outlaw 770 even though the outlaw has more beef. or is there somethin else in the price range that im missing, has to be 7 channel though...

Also im trying to keep it under 2000 tax inc.

thanks again all of you are a great help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
what about anthem, i think they are canadian, I could be wrong,
Perhap i would get a better price them buying something from another country. Or are tehy big bucks

Works that way with other stuff.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us