Ok, Subwoofer Tooo Loud.

Bronze Member
Username: Disco_stan

Post Number: 76
Well...I think it's about time someone should post this post. Welp, my problem here is the sub gets too loud, it doesn't bother me that much, but the way my settings are set question me. Right now I have the Sub level set at -20db and on the sub, the dial is turned about half way and in some parts of viewing a movie or dvd audio(Queen, The Game) the sub sounds like its a seperate entity in the room. I know I have a lot of tweaking to do...but yea.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Oh and BTW I have a Fluance DB-150 sub and a Yamaha 630 receiver...

Bronze Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 96
A lot of bass lovers like to run their Sub "hot", and many of us who try to calibrate their sub by ear, end up with a sub volume that's too high at higher volumes because our ears are relatively instensitive to lower frequencies. Besides the obvious fix of turning the volume down on the sub dial, what else can you do? Why not calibrate your equipment using a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter and some test disks like Video Essentials or Ovation's Avia SW?

An article from SVS on calibrating your sub is a good read.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Well...I made my situation sound a little bit more worse than it actually does. Heff, that would be my next purchase to get a SPL meter. I just wanted to make myself sound like a moron just to see what kind of information I can get that I dont know yet ;). But thank you for the link, cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 97
The SVS article shows Radio Shack's digital meter, but their analog meter is easier to use and many prefer it. Good luck with your calibration, and let us know how it works out.

Cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
I have pre-ordered one from a local Radio Shack dealer, but it has been on back order for about a month now...so I'm think I might try a different store.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_s

Post Number: 38
I just bought a display model, the only one available. It made me feel better about turning down my center channel, and it sounds much better now. Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
I get emails from BlueSky and today I got a great forward of 2.1 5.1 setup configuration.

steve_p
Unregistered guest
Aside from it being very loud, how do you like the Fluance sub?
I've got a pair of their tower speakers I'm happy with and have been considering the sub.

Bronze Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 98
They aren't that bad, I did a lot of auditioning around the $200, 300 range for subs before I bought the Fluance one. So when I bought it, I took a little gamble at it since it didn't have any specs on it posted...so it was pretty much a blind purchase.

The overall sound is not bad, when watching movies like U-57(I think thats what the movie is called) the Fluance sub really handled those deep notes extremely well. I haven't yet got a SPL meter which I think I already said here so I cant tell how load it can get before it starts to distort.

For 200 bucks I'd say its a great buy for someone who is on the market to buy a inexpensive sub.

Thats about all I have to say.

Bronze Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 99
And BTW, what are you using to power your towers? Do you have the SM-938 or one of the other ones.

Disco Stan

steveP
Unregistered guest
I have the SM-938's and I am powering them with an HK-525 (though I wish I'd held out a little longer and got an HK-7200 as they are now incredibly cheap).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us