"Girlyman" subs rule...new Era Sub 10 easily bested the others.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 525
Home demo of the dimutive Era Sub 10 puts it in the "show stopper" category. Bass that is tight and defined. Tonight the movie test.

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 70
Good luck and enjoy the show. If that sub doesn't work out, you should look at the GMA Hammer!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
I mean really, how can you beat a sub named after M.C. Hammer. And while you visit the GMA website, you should check out that clever picture of designer Roy Johnson teaching his Calisto speaker backgammon.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 526
Yeah maui I've seen Roy deliberating his way through his Calisto music. What's that about?It's funny this sub isn't supposed to have extension below 32hz yet it is the only Sub that I have had in my home that integrates with my speakers while providing floor shaking, roof rattling bass that I can feel on my feet and in my chest. Yippie...it really is a REL.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Got your SPL meter to check its "in room" extension? May well be a bit better than 32Hz.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 530
Movie test completed...the Era Sub 10 is an incredible piece of kit. It should be a candidate for "product of the year". Honestly, I have not been this impressed by a new piece for quite some time. Speaker alert...If you haven't heard the Tannoy Reveal line of affordable speakers and you are in the market you owe it to yourself to give them a try. Also the diminutive subs from Tannoy, the TS8, TS10, and TS12 provide incredible bang for the buck. You folks from Portland know how incredible Teri at Stereotypes is, a veritable wealth of audio information. By the way the Tannoy Reveals are what EveAnna Manley uses in her bedroom system.

Username: Stuman168

Post Number: 5
Art when you say it's good bang for the buck. what price range are you talking about? I am in OR and in the market for new front, center and powered subs. But with the new baby coming I may just get the front and powered sub and I'll use the old celestion and tannoy for the front and rear

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 531
The Tannoy gear at Stereotypes sounds much better than it has a right to at the given price. The TS8 sub is $399, and the TS10 sub is $549. Teri at Stereotypes is having an anniversary sale this week starting tuesday. Great deals to be had, I just bought an NAD T763 AVR for $1180 from her yesterday.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 532
Oh and Stu, I would also consider the Hsu STF2 it's very good.

Username: Stuman168

Post Number: 6
is the NAD going to replace your Marantz SR 5400?
I listened the NAD receiver over New England audio(?) in eugene few months ago. it sounded really good but it was beyond my budget. it should be a nice addition. let me know how it sound with the studio series

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 533
Hi Stu. The NAD will replace the Marantz SR5400 and I am selling it. If you are interested I want $325.00 for it. If you live in the Eugene area I go down there from Albany every week. In fact. I will be there tomorrow and next Friday. Tomorrow I am returning the B&W sub to Bradford's. Friday I will be making my weekly pilgrimmage to Trader Joe's and then my monthly splurge at the Musique Gourmet. I was just at Enland Audio day before yesterday. I don't know what Mernerd thinks he's doin' with that store but it is kind of odd. Love the McIntosh gear though.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 613
Art,

So this sub is staying?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 536
This is the one Peter. I emailed David Soloman of Era and asked him about low frequency extension because what I was feeling was not what was written in the manual. This sub masters it all deep, tight bass that hits you in the chest hard and that you feel through the floor. All while being well integrated and musical. David told me that the manual was wrong and that the online info that he sent me is correct. Instead of a 32hz limit the sub will do 25hz at 100db. That's what I was feeling. Movies or music this sub doesn't care and handles all like it was born for it. Yippie!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 616
Sounds like the wau I describes my Hsu! :-)

Good for you!

The family and I just finished watching "The Incredibles" again. What a great movie! And the LFE in it is, well... Incredible!

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 623
Art,

> The NAD will replace the Marantz SR5400 and I am selling it.

Does that mean you're going with 2-channel only, or am I missing something? I've been playing with the same idea myself...

BTW, I'm afraid to ask but how much does that Era sub go for?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 538
We just watched Hotel Rwanda and are about to watch Sideways. Ain't life grand!

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 630
Is this your first time watching "Sideways?" You'll love it, it's hilarious. "Hotel Rwanda" I haven't seen but have been recommended it by several friends.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 539
It was indeed my first time seeing "Sideways". I t was fun and Don Cheadle was great in "Hotel Rwanda". We bought a bunch of movies today. Tommorrow when I take the B&W sub back to Eugene I'll probably stop by my favorite music store for some new tunes.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 541
The Era web site, perhaps the only audio company web site that is worse than Green Mountain Audio http://www.signalpathint.com/ERA%20MAIN.htm. I had to email David Soloman of Era for more details which he graciously provided.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 549
I've been patiently waiting for Paul to poke fun at my sub. Either he's being a gentleman or he's out of town. Are we taking bets!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 626
He didn't comment on my speakers either, did he?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 551
Hmmm.....

the real maui
Unregistered guest
"The Era web site, perhaps the only audio company web site that is worse than Green Mountain Audio"
Ok Art, i'm asking you to explain why you think your listening room doesn't have the same problems with low end extension that 99.9% of rooms on the planet have? Again, make it technical for us tweekers, please? Also, i'd love to hear an explanation of what "Q" is in your own words, please? What is ideal "Q" and what is the "Q" of your sub in your room? Also, could you please post for the sake of us that want to learn from your vast knowledge, the 1/4 or 1/2 wave cancellation as it pertains to the speed of sound (1130 feet/sec)? Also explain the 2/3rds and 2/5ths ratio.
Art, would it help if you were aware that there is no musical instrument besides a concert grand piano that dips below 32hz? Only movie sound effects and they DO call them "effects" for a reason. I guess if you knew that you wouldn't have made the following statement "It's funny this sub isn't supposed to have extension below 32hz yet it is the only Sub that I have had in my home that integrates with my speakers while providing floor shaking, roof rattling bass that I can feel on my feet and in my chest" Love boomy car audio too Art?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 743
Get a life maui!

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 279
Hear listen, up The Real Maui,

Why don't you get of Art Kyle's, back ok, and sliver back to that other forum site you came from, it won't be to difficult to find you true ID?

The way you speak, the way you type, the times you come on and see if there's a possible connection with another forum you are joined too. and one of us will pop on over, and give you and others some more stick than you can possible handle, or maybe where cut your internet line when we find where you are, and shove 100,000 volts into you pc, like to see how much wanking surfing you do then.

So back of Art Kyle's, back, you sanctimonious pr!ck....

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Maui,
Just Phuck off !

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us