Canadian made speakers

Username: Cn1000

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 6
Has anyone ever heard of studiolabs speakers. I checked out the Reference One speakers from Studio Labs. They sounded very nice but I don't know what I should be looking for as far as the speaker specs. I posted the website if anyone can explain the specs. for the reference one model. Maybe a comparison might help.
http://www.studiolabspeakers.com/

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 566
I have never heard them, nor heard of them.

The specs tell me a few things, if they are legit:

1- The speakers are very inefficient. They won't ever get loud, specially with a max rating of 80W.

2-The cabinet are large, yet they lack in bass. You'd appreciate having a sub with these.

3- They appear to emphasize the mid-range so they might have above-average clarity and perhaps imaging.

4- They appear to have nice attention to detail (nice finish, expensive Solen brand caps).

Username: Cn1000

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 7
Thankyou Peter for the info. My understanding is that all the parts are also canadian and nothing is Asian.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 953
Plus, many of them are 4ohm speakers. Unless you have a high end power supply, these speakers probably wont sound their best.

Unless you have high end gear, most individuals will be better served by sticking with 8ohm speakers with a higher sensitivity rating.

Of course.....specs dont tell the whole story. I usually look at specs to narrow down the search, and then let my ears determine the winner.

Good luck....

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 569
The model he is looking at is rated at 8 ohms...

How much are they?
What are you looking for in a speaker?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3781

"They sounded very nice but I don't know what I should be looking for as far as the speaker specs. I posted the website if anyone can explain the specs. for the reference one model. Maybe a comparison might help."

Compared to almost any decent speaker on the market they have specs that look just as good on paper as the next guy. The problem is the specs on a piece of paper aren't going to tell you much about the speaker. You can kind of guess about the power required and whether you should buy the speaker if you love organ music, but other than that you should decide based on what you hear not what you read. If you want to read something, read the reviews, they seem to get very good marks from all the reviews with nothing negative to speak of. Their business practices must be very good to stay in business this long.

Decide what is important to you in your system and listen for that before you make your decision. Specs won't tell you about the timbre of a speaker or the soundstaging capability. How it responds to a dynamic signal, both large and small, is not included in the usual specs.

Just listen.

Bronze Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 98
Guys,

Hi there.

I like db range loudspeakers.

Over most loudspeakers the Reference one's are a bit low on sensitivity at 85db and crossover point at 2.8KHz frequency response 50Hz to 20.000KHz mid 200Hz to10.000KHz,

Though I did like those db range ones like the db 150 very efficient at 93db @ 1 watt to1 metre three-way deign frequency response as low as 27Hz to high as 22.000KHz 200watts of dynamic range nice,

Though it does not say if there bi-wireable as an active X-over three-way hook up to it will give a bit more headroom and less distortion leading to greater dynamic range with lower lows brilliant mid range and higher highs.

And even if there not bi-wireable there are ways around that.

As for home cinema use I would go for the db 150's three for the fronts and there will be no beating around the bush all that dynamic range of power at your discretion.

Ashley.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us