Do 5 channel av recievers work well for 2 channel stereo?

Username: Burningeye

Post Number: 1
This may seem like a basic question. But I have my eye on an NAD T752 reciever. Do 5 channel recievers deliver as good a stereo sound through a 2 speaker set up as a dedicated 2 chanel amplifier?

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 483
All things being equal, no. You can do pretty well with stereo sound in a multichannel setup but not as good. That is why I use a multichannel AVR as a component in my 2 channel setup and not the other way around.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 484
I use a Marantz SR5400 as yet another source component hooked up to the video or aux on my pre and to power the center and rears. Leave the SR5400 off completely when listening to 2 channel. I go from the L/R front pre outs on the SR5400 to the video in on my NAD C162 pre. The C162 pre has 2 sets of pre outs. I use 1 set to go to the power amp and the other to go to the sub so that I have use of the sub for both 2 channel and home theater. I have to set the pre amp volume control to a set mark when I calibrate the home theater and return it to that setting every time I listen to it. It's key to remember to turn it back down before returning to 2 channel use or you can blow your fronts. It's a bit of pain but well worth it to me for better 2 channel music performance.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 543
I tend to agree with Art, if I had to do it all over again I would've just gone with a 2-channel receiver that has a sub output. I do like the center channel for TV and movies though, but the surround speakers don't do much for me since most of my movies are not of the thundering action flick type.

I'm waiting for a used NAD pre-amp and 2-channel amp to arrive tomorrow, whereupon I'll have a similar setup to Art's (if the wife lets me get away with another 2 big ugly metal boxes in the living room, LOL).

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 946
Aww geez eddie,

You need to lay off those 'artsy fartsy' film festival flicks and step into the real world of movies. If you're going to watch 'those' kinds of movies, you might as well do away with surround sound all together.

HEH

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 487
Paul, right now I am sitting at home with the walls shaking to the sound of music in 2 channel stereo. Why am I at home at this time on a work day you may ask? I am awaiting the delivery truck which carries my new sub to its home. Then unfortunately I will have to go back to work.

Edster I hope your new power and pre have enough power and articulation to make a difference. I don't think I got the models but aren't they older models. I still think that it'll make a difference and let me tell you why. The Pre on even an older NAD shuld be far more articulate than our SR5400's for music, and the power amp will free up more of your power supply for the rears and center giving more all aroung grunt for those tough movie soundtracks. I hope you will fill out your system with a sub and Ascend rears. Voice matched rears really do make a difference. I was amazed at the difference when I traded in the Mini Monitors for the Studio 20's. Ain't this obsession fun!

Silver Member

Post Number: 545
> If you're going to watch 'those' kinds of movies, you might as well do away with surround sound all together.

There you go, Paul---you've read my mind!

Silver Member

Post Number: 546
Arthur,

It's a 2200 amp and 1240 pre-amp, the 2200 is supposed to be 100wpc and hopefully it will be a significantly higher 100wpc than the 5400's 90wpc...I'll find out in a day or two.

I'm still very ambivalent about surround sound at least for movies, and starting a SACD habit would really kick my butt financially. It was nice while watching LOTR but there are very few of those types of special-FX movies that I can actually stomach, my usual art-house/indy flicks don't make much use of the rears.

> Ain't this obsession fun!

oh yeah, just ask my wife...LOL

Bronze Member
Username: Johnharper

Pasadena, CA

Post Number: 24
Arther and Edster, Keeps the comments coming. This all is a kick and feel like Christmas is just around the corner-waiting for my SR8400. Now I recall you guys saying the phantom mode for more than two speakers with a multi-channel set-up is not too bad, sticking with for the time being with 4 identical speakers only. Is that the methodology you, Art, were referring to in your post above and are there any tips I need to be aware of in setting up my system in that way?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 951
Art,
Good luck with the new sub. I hope it's everything you were looking for. It sounds to me that you're planning to use it in addition to your current sub. Am I making a correct assumption?? Are you planning on running both subs permanently?? It sounds like a plan to me:-)

Serpico
Unregistered guest
Art,
With your current set up, is the sound of your fronts much better than the center channel when watching movies? would it be better to add an additional amp for the cc?

Thanks !
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us