Interference/crackle only during dvd video play back

Username: Trdjohn

Suburban Chicago

Post Number: 1
Ok this is my set up. I have a Yamaha V620 a/v receiver, Sony DVD/SACD 875 player & Panasonic DVD player with Paradigm 90 Cinema series left, right & CC. Both DVD players have been set up with optical out to optical in on A/V receiver. (dvd players are NOT hooked up at same time)

The problem: during playback of DVDs (doesn't matter if dolby or dts) in 5.1 and only during 5.1 playback am I getting a crackle in only the left & right speakers, the center channel is crystal clear. This happens with either DVD player.

If I play back DVDs thru the analog left & right speakers hookup they sound fine.

Regular CDs and SACDs play back fine thru the same left & right speakers.

I've got both the receiver and dvd players players hooked up correctly and have their software settings correct.

So I am ruling out the speakers having problems.

I am ruling out a bad optical cable, cause the center channel is fine and all three would be affected, right?

Using similar reasoning (& I've tried using different optical inputs on the receiver) that the inputs are not bad.

Now I have NOT tried sending it out a digital coax to receiver digital coax input. Nor have I tried sending it via 6 channel analog output. But have a funny feeling that won't matter (maybe I am wrong)

Something in my gut says the A/V receiver isn't handling/decoding the left & right channels correctly. Anyone ever run into this?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom of the group. If I posted this in the wrong sub-forum, the moderator should feel free to move to the correct folder.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 935
One thing to check.....

Go into your DVD player setup options and make sure your are properly formatted for a DD optical connection.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 497
I'd try a new cable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us