Burned up transformer STR DE310

Username: Mrburton

Post Number: 1
I was given a Sony STRDE310 a couple years ago and have just now gotten around to trying to fix it. The transformer was buzzing so I pulled it apart and found heat damage on the side of it. I need to know where I can find a new transformer, and if it's worth fixing. The part number is RBUA01888. Any help is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 519
Probably not worth fixing, and more importantly now you have the perfect excuse to go out and get yourself a far better receiver for not that much money. Enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3753

Let's see here. It's a Sony unit. You have a Sony part number. Sony sells replacement parts. Hmmm, where would you go to get that replacement part? Sony? Nah, that would be too easy.

Actually it would and that's one reason it's difficult to order replacement parts from Sony. If you want to replace the transformer, you will need to know the voltage, amperage and primary and secondary taps output. The chances of then finding a replacement are better but still not good. Sony will often use proprietary parts that cannot be sourced form anywhere other than Sony.

The best bet is to take the receiver to a Sony service center and pay for the correct part to be installed and the unit checked for further damage. You need to know why the transformer failed from heat damage and whether other parts were stressed by this operation. Or you can simply replace the receiver with a better product. Most shops will give an estimate of repair cost for a small amount of money, if you decide to repair the unit the estimate fee will be deducted from the total bill. This will give you an idea of the value of fixing this receiver.

Username: Mrburton

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us