Stanton tables and mixer caused protect light on receiver

Tdog
Unregistered guest
OK so last weekend I was spinning some records when all of a sudden the sound went bye bye. The protect light came on my Sony receiver. Since I have purchased a new Yamaha receiver and I tested the tables on it. After a while it began to get hot so I cut my session short because I didn't want to fry the new one. So anyhow now I'm stuck with a broke Sony and a Yamaha that won't do the trick.
I found your message board through my searching the web for info, and it seems like there are some people in here that know a bit about stuff. As far as I can gather, in order to hook up turntables to a receiver, you need a grounded phono jack or a preamp. That made me think that maybe I needed to add a preamp, but no wait, the mixer has grounds and preamps. I had the tables hooked to the Sony for about a year without a problem through all the six hour long high volume sets I wanted to spin. Now this! I think because of this my girlfriend and I are going to break up!!
So the problems now are:
What is causing the problems?
Did the preamps or one of them go out in the mixer?
I'd love an excuse to buy a new mixer!!
Could it be that my DJ equiptment is too much for a home stereo receiver?
I'd love an excuse to buy a new amp, but then I'd need more speakers too and I'd be running out of room.
What should I do with the Sony, it's getting older but it's a higher end one, should I get it fixed?
How much should I expect to pay for such work?
What should I do with the Yamaha, it's a lower end one but it did come with a subwoofer that's cool, I have 20 more days to return it?
What should I do with my girlfriend, nevermind I'm not so sure I want help with that question HAHA!!

Thanks for any help you might have -T dog

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3715

You really haven't given enough pertinent information to do more than guess at the problem. You seem to be saying you simply wore out the old receiver by constantly pushing the limits of the amplifier. The Yamaha is probably just not going to do what you want. I would recommend going to a sound reinforcement amplifier which should be more suited to the volume levels you want. I would also suggest you make it plain to your next girlfiend that you would love an excuse to buy lots of stuff that you don't have room for.

tdog
Unregistered guest
Well for starters I have two Stanton STR8-60 direct drive turntables lined into and grounded to a SMX-201 preamp mixer. They were lined in to the Sony STR-DE615 receiver using the DAT port since for some reason the phono port did not produce good sound. I think the receiver is about 6 years old. It got real hot and PROTECTION began to flash on the front. I did notice a few times that the sound would drop out, or give a one channel reading, from the mixer. So that's why I was wondering if my problems might be solved with a new mixer, maybe the preamp inside it was shorted giving it improper grounding. I like music but my techs-pertise is lacking.
As for my girlfriend, she is mainly upset because sometimes electrionics just stop working properly. In most peoples' cases they can just go to Best Buy or Circuit City and buy something new solving their problems. When you have more equiptment and want better sound and reliability, that makes everything more complicated. The young guy at Best Buy usually doesn't know what you need, but he will try to convince you that buying the $500 Monster power regulator will solve all your problems which doesn't really add up since it does nothing to control the power or static coming from magnetic turntables to the receiver.
Thanks for your response. -Tdog

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3717

If you are using a phono pre amp inside the mixer, you must then use a high level line output to the next amp or pre amp. I assume you do not use an amplifier built into the mixer, just the pre amp section. Use a line level output from the mixer, one that is not controlled by the master volume on the mixer, such as tape out into a tape in on the receiver to determine further where the problem might exist.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us