Newbie assistance please

Username: Amanlikemike

Post Number: 1
Could anybody please recommend a budget amp, bookshelf/standmount speakers, speaker stand and cable set-up for a small (12' x 13'6") and slightly odd shaped apartment room?

The building is very solid with proper stripped wood floorboards, stone walls and fairly high ceilings, but I am still conscious of noise transference. The speakers are likely to be backed up pretty close to an external wall.

I mainly listen to funk & rock n roll (The Rolling Stones, Dandy Warhols, Beck & Funkadelic through to The Pixies, Kings of Leon, RHCP, James Brown & The Cult) at a moderate volume, although I do like to crank it up now and again. So, what I am really looking for is a clean sound with plenty of midrange. Big bass is not a massive consideration, neither is outright power, but I would like a controlled bottom end and neat top end so that I can keep vibrations down and enjoy music without pissing off the neighbours.

I realise that this is difficult to do on a budget (approx £400) but I have been recommended the NAD C320BEE & Acoustic Energy EVO1s and would like to know what components and peripherals work well together so that I can draw up a short list to get an idea how much I'm looking at before I head off for a listen.

I also listen to a lot of music on 320CBR MP3, so I'm not tooooo obsessive about sound quality, but it would be good to know that I had a system that made the most of this format. A decent CD player will come later. I hope you can help. Thank you for your time. Michael

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 386
The NAD & AE combo would be great. Also Consider Epos ELS 3 Speakers. Can't go wrong with an NAD integrated.

Anonymous

NAD and PSB's work pretty well together too, they are actually sister companies... I've got a 320BEE with PSB Image t55's in a small apartment and they sound great together. Just because the room is small doesn't mean you need bookshelves, although they will most likely sound better. Audition as many different things as you can in your room, because you have odd circumstances. I don't think anything will sound the same in a store and in your room. Not many stores have brick walls and wood floors. Sound will probably echo all over the place... Make sure you've got stuff to absorb it - ie couches, area rugs, etc.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
Sorry I posted the previous message without a name.

Username: Amanlikemike

Post Number: 4
Thanks NAD man. In true hi-fi stylee I am already considering upping the budget. I'm looking at a used C352 to pair with some Quad 11Ls on Nexus 6 stands and with Van Damme cables. Or maybe a Rotel RA-02 if I can find one. What about the Marantz PM7200 or Epos M5 speakers?

I tell thee what, it's well tricky even drawing up a short list to audition in this price bracket.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
When I bought my C320BEE, I compared the C352 and the Marantz PM7200, and several others as well. I would have honestly been happy with either of the three. The NAD's sounded very similar to each other, the real difference was power. There are a few more options on the C352 that you may need or want, such as an extra set of pre-outs, and I think extra set of speakers and more source inputs. In the end, I didn't need the extra stuff or power for my sized room, and to me they sounded very similar, so I went with the C320BEE. It also gave me a few bucks more to spend on speakers.

To me the Marantz sounded different; not much better or worse, just different.

I truly believe that the most important thing in a system is the speakers. In A/B comparisons of speakers, amps, sources, etc. I've found that the things that sound most different from each other are speakers. Amps and sources sound different when compared too, don't get me wrong, just not as dramatically different than speakers do.

These are just my subjective opinions though... I haven't scientificly measured anything to substantiate any claims. Furthermore, your room seems to be really different than most people's and store's rooms. You should really take home as much stuff as you can to try it in your room. In the US, most stores have different policies on this. Some will let you return things for a full refund, others won't. Make sure you know your retailer's policy before you but, this way if you need to return that amp that sounded great on the floor, but was so bright in your place that it made your ears ring for hours, there won't be any problems.

All the best!!

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
When I bought my C320BEE, I compared the C352 and the Marantz PM7200, and several others as well. I would have honestly been happy with either of the three. The NAD's sounded very similar to each other, the real difference was power. There are a few more options on the C352 that you may need or want, such as an extra set of pre-outs, and I think extra set of speakers and more source inputs. In the end, I didn't need the extra stuff or power for my sized room, and to me they sounded very similar, so I went with the C320BEE. It also gave me a few bucks more to spend on speakers.

To me the Marantz sounded different; not much better or worse, just different.

I truly believe that the most important thing in a system is the speakers. In A/B comparisons of speakers, amps, sources, etc. I've found that the things that sound most different from each other are speakers. Amps and sources sound different when compared too, don't get me wrong, just not as dramatically different than speakers do.

These are just my subjective opinions though... I haven't scientifically measured anything to substantiate any claims. Furthermore, your room seems to be really different than most people's and store's rooms. You should really take home as much stuff as you can to try it in your room. In the US, most stores have different policies on this. Some will let you return things for a full refund, others won't. Make sure you know your retailer's policy before you buy, this way if you need to return that amp that sounded great on the floor, but was so bright in your place that it made your ears ring for hours, there won't be any problems.

All the best!!

PS - I don't know enough about the other gear you mentioned to give you an honest opinion. If I did, I would still say bring them home and try them.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
Sorry for the double post. I tried to hit cancel to make a few corrections, but it didn't work.

One more thing - this is the subject of a lot of contraversy - you mentioned expensive cables... Before you decide to buy them, please see the audioholics.com site. They talk about the "science" behind them. If you know this information and still believe that they make a difference, by all means buy them.

I'm not trying to force my opinion on you (actually I haven't even told you if I agree or disagree on the matter), just trying to help you stay informed. If you don't believe that they make a difference, the money can go to other places. If they do make a difference, then it's money well spent. The more you know, the better off you are.

Unregistered guest
I can recommend sticking your finger up your butt when wanking and listening to INXS.

Unregistered guest
I can recommend sticking your finger up your butt when wanking and listening to INXS.

bainman
Unregistered guest
I would strongly recommend listening to my NADS whilst rolling around on the floor like a slug.

bainman
Unregistered guest
I would strongly recommend listening to my NADS whilst rolling around on the floor like a slug.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us