NAD C352 vs C370

John bon Donovich
Unregistered guest
Hello, I found both the NAD C352 and C370 on sale online for $479 USD (both new). Does anyone have experience with these two? Which would you get? Will be paired with my Paradigm Reference Studio/40s v.2. Does anyone feel I would really benefit from the additional power of the C370? Also, has anyone had experience ordering from http://www.yahaonline.com or http://www.elegantaudiovideo.com ? Thanks, John

Bronze Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 68
I think they are basically identical with some improvements to the newer C352.

The C352 adds...
A detachable power cord.
A better remote.

Thats about all I could find. You probably know already that the C370 is more powerfull.

About those sellers. I know that elegantaudio wasen't an authorized NAD dealer when I asked them last year. Don't know about yawaonline.

John bon Donovich
Unregistered guest
At the store yesterday, I asked this same question to a salesman. He recommended wholeheartedly to go with the C370, as it had a better pre-amp, and a more powerful power stage.

He said the C370 was simply a combination of the C160 pre-amp the and C270 power amp (total msrp $1198!) and that it was thus the best value.

Is the pre-amp in the C370 really better than the C352's?

The new remote and detachable power cord would indeed be nice to have. This is a touch choice!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
He was just trying to move the old stock C370. Trust me, I know how these salespeople operate. I read that the C370 and the C352 share the exact same power supplies and pre amp sections.

It all comes down to the WPC you need and the 2 new features I posted.

I will get the C352. I have Monitor Audio Bronze 2's and I think it will be a good match for now. Might upgrade to the MA Golds in the future.

Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 1
Yawa is an authorized nad dealer, elegant audio video is not. I have delt with yawa and they are top shelf in every way..

Unregistered guest
If you go to the site you will find that the 370/72 line and the 350/52 line are different entirely. Nadelectronics.com is the site and it is very clear on the matter. The old C370 was far superior to the current 352 as it had 120w per channel and other differences. I have to disagree with Jeff Obregon in this case. Though salespeople will often say whatever they need to make a sale, in this case, the salesman was right on the money. I own the C270 power amplifier as a separate power amp in my system and I have heard the 370 as well. Both are powerful and sonically superior products. I don't think I need to belabour the point any more, see for yourself online.

Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 2
I agree with Matt Arthur, the c370 may be an older amp but it is superior to the c352. If you can find one they're an absolute bargain now they're a finished line.

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 2
Hello folks, I was at my local barnes and noble looking through the audio mags and while looking through the what hi-fi I found out some interesting info about the nad c 352. It seems that during testing the unit displayed less than satisfactory bass response and nad subsequently has made circuit changes (now known as c352 ct).. I went the nads website and looked for the 352 to see if this was true and the page comes up blank!!! Seems where there is smoke there is fire, so I hope this circuit gaff doesn't involve the c372 which I would like to purchase in the future.... Anybody hear anything about this....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Thanks for that info Joe. I have been eyeing that C352 for the last month or so. Haven't started with the auditions yet either so your information is timely for me.

I might just go with the 320bee since it has gotten little if any bad press. 50 WPC would be more than enough for the room size I have.

If I were you I'd hold off on buying your C372 unless you buy it from a brick and mortar shop near you.

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 3
Hey jeff, I bought a nad c541i from yawa.com and they are an authorized nad dealer and have excellent customer service... They offer about a 20% discount off of full price, they offered me a c372 for $679 with shipping coming out to another $30... They list the full price but when you call or email them they offer you the actual price (something about not being able to list their price??)... I would check out their site and consider them, the brick and mortar joints can't compete price wise for the most part and that's key for me...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
mumma ra, I have a Nad dealer near my house so I will plan on listening to the C352 and the 320bee side by side. I have a feeling I'm gonna go with the 320bee and I'll probably used Saturday Audio or Yawa for a better deal.

Christophe
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I am also planning to purchase a NAD C372 and just read about the issue you mentioned about (CT version of the C352). Have you made any progress in finding out if the same pb applied to the C372 ? If yes, how do you recognise the CT version in a shop ?

Thanks in advance,

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 8
I have already noticed some refurbished c352's popping up at various sites. This would lead me to believe that they have been modified but the ct part has not been added to the name... I have not heard anything about the c372 sharing the 352's problems... They are very similar amps but the c372 should have some different if not better components inside... That being said I have not read any professional reviews of the c372, but users on audioasylum seem to love it... Not to doubt their ears but I would like to see what what hi-fi says... Either way I will not be getting new equipment until the fall... In many discussions I have had I have repeatedly been told the the c162/c272 combo betters the c372 due to a lower noise floor which is the result of separate power supplies.... The c162 is just the c160 with a facelift, I wish they added and iec connection on back instead of having a captive powercord, that would have not required much doing but I am a bit confused as to what to get... Although there is a good bit of a price difference between the two..

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 21
The C372 isn't affected by the "lack of bass" that afflicted the first C352's. I've listened to both the C372 and the C352CT and both are fine. As for telling the difference between a non-CT C352 you'd have to look at the box and see the date of manufacture - anything in April or after this year will be the new updated version. You're right though, it doesn't say "CT" in the name, basically a working title if ever there was one.

unbridled+id
Unregistered guest
Hello mr sun king, what were your overall impressions of the c372.. How did it compare to the c352ct... Did you happen to hear the c162-c272 combo???

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 26
Unbridled,

I liked the C372 and have brought it home with the intention of keeping it. The difference between the C352 (CT) and C372 is not as dramatic as the gulf that existed between the older C350 & C370 - the increased depth of sound was brutally obvious when you listened to the bigger amp back then. It is more subtle between the new two. The C372 has a (slightly) wider mid range, is a little more detailed and also the bass has better timing, more 'slam' and a little more depth. I would say that the C370 had a more prominent, deeper bass than the C372 though. The C372 sounds more 'complete' than its predecessor with a more balanced sound. I think this time 'round that Nad have done themselves a disservice by making the smaller C352 so similar to it's bigger brother. Many people will find the C372 not worth the extra cash I'm sure because the leap up is so subtle. I didn't hear the C162/272 combo so I can't comment. I would imagine it sounds better though due to the separate power stages. As a matter of interest, the C372 is supposed to sound better than the older C160/270 combo (according to my dealer!)

unbridled+id
Unregistered guest
Thanks mr king, I don't know if it is so bad that the c352 and 372 are close.... What hi-fi in their latest issue gushes all over the c352 and I think any good press is good... Mildly surprised that the c372 is to sound better than the c160/270 combo, but I am happy about this.. There are a couple of places here in the u.s. closing out the the old nad lines and one offers the c160/270 for 699... But I want the simplicity of one box hence the news of the c372's performace is encouraging... Are you going to replace those jumpers the back with a short run interconnect or something similar??? I say this because as you probably well know this is a tweak that many have used and swear it garners + results. Also how about an after market powercord for the c372? Two last questions, do you own a nad cdp (I have the 541i) or a nad tuner (I plan on getting the c422)...

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 28
Unbridled,

I tried various interconnects to replace the jumpers on my old C370 and to be honest I didn't notice ANY difference. People say the quality of those jumpers is naff and I agree, they do LOOK naff but performance-wise they're no worse than a $70 interconnect in my opinion....I tried 'em! Those factory jumpers are small and what you gain in sound quality with a good interconnect you lose due to the distance between pre and power as far as I'm concerned. Lots of people try to justify that particular tweak but I don't see the point. Try it for yourself with a spare pair of leads before you go rushing to the store to buy a nice set of jumpers! As for the aftermarket power cord, I'd suggest more improvement is to be gained by using a power filter/mains cleaner than can ever be achieved by swapping the power cord. Call me sceptical but these expensive interconnects/speaker cables/mains leads are daylight robbery. My dealer told me that the interconnects he sells for $70 actually cost him $3 to buy - and bear in mind the manufacturer and distributor is making money on them too. Now I DO recommend better interconnects than come with your average system....but only to a point. A good $20 cable will be as much improvement as is necessary in my book and audible gains above that price point will be negligible at best. Same with speaker cable, a nice thick run of copper wire will suffice! This is all in my humble (yet experienced) opinion. In answer to your question, yes I do own a Nad cdp - the C542 which I'm very happy with. I've got a Cambridge Audio DAB tuner as I haven't seen any Nad DAB units and I fear they'd be more expensive than I'm prepared to pay for a radio. I listen to my tuner when I'm busy, not when I'm sat down and ready for a critical listening session. I feel the Cambridge sounds as good as compressed MP3 DAB files can sound anyway!

Unregistered guest
Sun King unbridled+id

It is really nice to find some NAD-o-philes in this forum.
For the jumpers: I totally agree with Sun King that replacing the jumpers in unnecessary it is some myth without any prove. I did many experiment with various interconnects and there is not any change.
It is matter for scientific research to find how some myths so widely spread without any justification.

unbridled+id
Unregistered guest
Hey mr king thanks for the feedback... I was looking at the cambridge dab tuners... The thing is here in Chicago only 2 stations are broadcast in digital (and I don't listen to either of them). Also the cambridge doesn't have an am band which for me is essential as I have to listen to my late night talk radio....I will buy the nad just to stick with the systems synergy and use of the remote... Somewhat surprised at your analysis of the jumper replacement, I had a short pair made by cobalt cable and use it on my denon dra 685 which has preout/main in.... I believe it has cleared things up a bit. Since you own the c542 I was wondering if you own and hdcd discs? The difference between hdcd and regular red book is significant... I found this out in the best possible way, by putting in a hdcd disc without knowing it was one and really finding it to sound warm, rich and clear...Hope you follow up on the c372 as it burns in though I already have it on my radar but more + feeback only makes me smile more...

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 43
Unbridled,

Yep, the C372 has burned its way back to the shop! We don't get many HDCD's over here in the UK. I've got over 600 cd's and I don't think any of them are HDCD. My Nad player has an LED that lights if an HDCD is loaded and it hasn't lit once, which is deeply upsetting. As for the tuner question, I have no need for an AM radio but you guys have the best radio stations in the world I believe. Ours are just FULL of mindless pop r'n'b dirge. DAB is about the most exciting thing that's happened to radio over here. We now actually have a couple of stations that are worth listening to!

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 14
You took back the 372 huh.... Wow, you really were not impressed.... Did the guys at the shop note what you feel is lacking in the 372, did they agree, have they heard any other complaints similar... I have to say if it happened once (352) it isn't out of the realm of possiblility that it could happen twice (372)....

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 15
You took back the 372 huh.... Wow, you really were not impressed.... Did the guys at the shop note what you feel is lacking in the 372, did they agree, have they heard any other complaints similar... I have to say if it happened once (352) it isn't out of the realm of possiblility that it could happen twice (372)....

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 44
Unbridled,

To be honest the dealer said he loved the amp but he'd heard a couple of complaints - one was the bass issue and the other that the midrange seemed a little compressed. I find the midrange more detailed on the C370 and the bass depth more extended. Depends what you had before I guess. I went from the C370 to the C372 and didn't like it as much. I've just been comparing it directly to its predecessor. It's not a bad amp, just not as nice as the C370 in my opinion.

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 16
all this talk makes me consider the special on the nad c160/270 combo.......

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 45
Well yes, now that WOULD be good!

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 17
Seems according to the nad webmaster, changes to the 352 were prior to it's release... Seems plausable, they gave what hi-fi one model and before releasing it to the public made changes based upon the review.... Most importantly to correct what I had stated earlier I would like everyone to notice the ct doesn't stand for circuit changes but for the titanium color
ct- color titanium.

Thank you for your recent request via the NAD Electronics web-site.

The "CT" referred to in the text is reference to the colour only, if you note the text beside the picture you will see that it is still labelled as a C352. Titanium is not available in North America.

The changes made to the unit are as follows.

We improved the DC servo circuit which tightens up the bass response. In a complementary amplifier design, the positive and negative halves of the waveform are handled by different "complementary" transistors - the gain of each half of the circuit must be perfectly balanced or there will a DC voltage present at the speaker outputs. With the original C352s, this DC offset could drift in and out of perfect balance. When out of balance the sound would not be to spec., especially noticeable in the bass region performance. The "fix" was to add a high speed servo circuit that always keeps the DC offset at zero. In point of fact, all C352's sold to the public include this circuit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
So What Hi Fi is employed by NAD as QC now? Thats a joke. And thats what it sounds like. ANY NAD product should be tested by NAD employed golden ears before they leave the prototype stage of development. Just an observation.

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 18
Touche jeff.... I suppose my logic was a bit skewed.....I'm confused though, the nad person says changes were made prior to release. What hi-fi claims to have received a less than satisfactory unit followed by a revised and subsequently excellent unit..My concern centered on whether the 372 shared similar circuitry and therefore suffered(s)?, from similar issues... I emailed nad with this question and was told the circuitry in the 372 is totally different from the 352.....hmmmmmm.

dgs
Unregistered guest
Hi guys, I have been watching this thread with interest as I purchased a NAD c352 in March of this year. About a week ago, I read the 'what hi-fi' which stated that a new improved version of the c352 was out now. I emailed NAD about this and got exactly the same reply as the thread above (word for word...seems the NAD webmaster is doing a lot of 'cut and pasteing'). I wish there was I way to confirm that I have or haven't got the new c352. Is there anything I could look for inside the amp? Should I trust that 'standard' nad email?

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 19
Hey dgs, I cut and pasted the nad quote from the 27th from an audioasylum memeber named noelp... Your also on this thread....You say it sounds good right, so there.... A reviewer here didn't care for the 372 but went into the purchase having heard about there being a lack of bass.... Once the seed is planted often times it germinates... I have emailed one particularly happy owner of a 372 and asked him about any lack of bass, he claimed " the bass is actually a strong point"... Different points of view... A review on audio enz did say there may a a slight lack of bass as someone mentioned but what wasn't mentioned was that it could be "fixed" by using different cables or speakers.... Mr dgs, don't let the "seed germinate" enjoy the music.... I'm gonna get a 372 in the fall and that's about that...

dgs
Unregistered guest
You're exactly right and that is exactly what happened. I thought everything was fine with the amp, sounding great even and then I read the 'what hi-fi' bit. There the seed was planted and I starting doubting whether it was really 'good'. As I haven't heard the 320bee or the 370/372, I had nothing to compare it too, so I started to think, well, if this isn't the new improved version....then the new one must be awesome! It is hard to know what to believe on the net sometimes...especially in the audio world. It can really do your head in. I guess I just wanted to confirm that what I paid for is as good as it gets....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Well, I have seen some refurbished C352's floating around the few authorized internet retailers so I assume that these units have the upgraded parts in them. Of course, you know not to assume anything in this business :-)

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 47
There is no way that bass is a strong point of the C372, not when you listen back to back with a C370. Whoever thinks his/her C372 is great for bass must have had an amplifier severely lacking in that department beforehand. My review of the C372 was ONLY against the C370 and I was in no way saying it sounded rubbish - just not as good as the C370 and therefore NOT an improvement but actually a step backwards.

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 48
With regard to cables, no length of wire is going to suddenly give you dramatic and extended bass. Having listened to the C370, the C372 and then the C370 again - IN THE SAME SYSTEM - I feel perfectly qualified to state that the bass isn't as far reaching nor as deep on the C372. This wasn't a 20 minute test either, I had the amps together for over a week and was listening some 6+ hours per day. This may be an opinion but I'm not deaf and can tell a lack of bass when I (don't) hear it.

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 20
Perhaps your c372 was lacking???

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 21
I never meant to imply you didn't know what you were hearing sun king... Your tone is a bit brisk but I admire and respect your steadfast opinion... I am sure your not deaf nor did I imply that you felt the 372 was rubbish... But let me say this, many that have had the 372 stated it took 100-200 hrs for it to open up, you said that you ran it for 30 hrs and it should have "broken in" many would disagree with your viewpoint... You also stated that replacing the jumpers on the nad integrateds makes not difference, again many state otherwise... You state the 372 lacks bass, again many state otherwise... Are you wrong,,, or are they right.... In your world your right, in their world they are right... Point of view is all...Hey your a brit and I am a yank, were brothers... We have fought before but were always brothers....

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 22
By the way let me lay out what I own... I use a denon dra 685 for my stereo and have a nad 541i for my cd player with polk rti 38's and 55's... Not gonna bowl anybody over for sure... I want and will get nad amplification in the near future based upon its price to performance ratio... I look for and respect all opinions on nad gear, even stubborn one's like yours sun king :-)...

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 49
Unbridled,

Maybe I was a bit brisk! Apologies for that. Back to your points....I'm always a little cautious with regard to running-in equipment. I appreciate that it does need to be run-in but I'd be surprised if the whole personality of the amp changes after 100-200 hours. I'd have thought that 30 hours should do it. Perhaps I had a dodgy C372 and perhaps I didn't allow it to run-in sufficiently before I took it back to the store. I'll accept that these factors could affect the sound of the amp.....but I'm still dubious! I'm sure they sound great when changing from a different brand but I just found my 'old' C370 sounded better. When you get one, let me know YOUR impressions of it!

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 23
Fair enough mr sun king... I have a question for you, my denon has preout/main ins and the idea of getting nad separates is really on my mind... That being said if I acquired a c160 and used it as my pre can I still use the tuner from the stereo.. I know this question may sound "ignorant" but I really don't know... If i did it that way I could improve my sound NOW and build as time goes on... The c160 normally goes for 600 but I can get one new for 349... So I have some interest in it... Plus I believe a c160/272 would be better than the 372...

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 51
Unbridled,

You could still use the tuner, the signal would be passed to the preamp and then back to the power amp. The C160 is a great bit of kit and you'd probably be better off with the separates approach in the longrun - that is if you plan to become an endlessly upgrading audiophile! I do believe there is a noticeable improvement in sound.

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 24
soooo mr sun king... Your 370 is a hummin, that's what you get for returning the 372.. Just joshin, could it be the volume pot, or perhaps you have one of those touch lights on the same line, they have been know to cause humming???

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 54
Unbridled,

Huh? What do you mean?

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 28
Well the first part of my message was a bad joke, you know, not funny... The second part referring to the volume pot and the touch lamp is different... I thought I read somewhere that a bad volume pot caused humming in a nad unit... A touch lamp is a three way lamp which switches by touch (using static electricity).. I know when I had a touch lamp on and my stereo (tuner) was on there was a buzzing sound... I am stretching a bit I realize but I just want to help... As far as the bad joke, sorry, you seem like a good guy...

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 55
Unbridled,

Nah, I meant what's with the humming Nad unit? You've lost me!

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 29
Ohhhhhhhhh, I was on audioasylum and a member named sun king mentioned his c370 hummed on power up... I thought this sun king was you??? I guess it was not, sorry for the confusion...

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 56
Ah, that explains it! Not me, I've noticed a few Sun Kings floating around - there are some on ebay too!

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 31
Hey, I just wanted to add this: I read the what hi-fi mag for may and it said that the first 352 they received for testing (the unsatisfactory one) was given to them in October.. Based upon this I believe that necessary changes would have been made before mass shipping of the units was begun... What hi-fi for June stated that in a test they preferred the c352 out of the six integrateds they tested, other in the test were the marantz pm-7200 and the Cambridge azur-640... What hi-fi really heaps the praise upon the c352...

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 59
Hmmm. I find hifi magazines unhelpful. The amount of stuff I've bought on the back of a good review only to find that it's crap would fill a refuse dump. I preferred the Marantz PM7200 to the C352....and I'm a Nad man (prior to these new models ps!!) I also preferred the Marantz to the Azur 640a. My only problem with the Marantz was the bass timing which was a lottle ponderous. Cracking bass extension though and to correct the faults on that amp you'd be looking at more than treble the cost in my opinion - which makes it terrific value. I know it's touted as a budget amp and you'd expect the C352 and the C372 to be better....but in my humble opinion they're not. I'd buy one if they weren't so monstrously big! Would need a new rack to fit the Marantz.

Bronze Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 32
Well mr sun king, I see you were on audio asylum speaking about the lack of bass in the 372... Your a trouble maker as we used to say when I was younger... But the world would be a boring place without people like us ;)... I know you don't dig audio mags (i understand) but the absolute sound just wrote a smashing review for the c162/272... One problem seemed to be the auto sense circuit which turns the unit on from standby when receiving a signal... Seems at low listening levels the 272 didn't sense a signal and switched to standby mode, that was disappointing...If this is so then you have to turn the unit on manually or get a 12v trigger from the 162 but I would utilize it for the tuner....hmmmmm...

beatnic
Unregistered guest
demoed the 352 with MA B2 & CD73T few weeks ago.. i found the combo to be too warmth.. but im not sure whether it was the old or new revision of the amp..

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 67
Unbridled, maybe my C372 was faulty. I've not heard another one so can't comment - but it's a possibility I suppose. I did hear one C370 that was more open at the top end than the other but the bass remained similar!

Unregistered guest
I have a marginally 'older' Nad setup - A C350 coupled with a Cd 521i, and a pair of biwired Mission 773e. Interconnects are Monster Interlink 400 mkII.
In one precise word, the sound is fantastic. Listeners have been blown away with the clarity and refinement in sound. Depth is never in question. Am in the process of upgrading to a C541i/542 cd player. Haven't heard it though. I also auditioned recently a c370 amp powering various speakers (Kef Uni Q, Paradigm Performance series, Mission M74i, Kef Coda/Cresta, etc). In all honesty, the c350 i have doesn't sound much defferent from the c370 WHEN PAIRED with budget/mid priced speakers. Have yet to the hear the 370 on expensive systems to outline the difference. IMHO, if you get a good deal on the C350, take it! Try pairing it with Mission 773e (biwiring makes a hell of diff.)

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 79
I had a C350 and whilst the sound is VERY similar to the C370, the larger amp has a fuller sound, especially at low volumes. The C350 is a lovely amp though, no doubting that. I've seen the C541i cdp at knockdown prices recently and to be honest the C542 isn't a lot different, to be fair I don't think it's worth the extra money. I have it and was taken-in by the "extra bass depth" as it was marketed but I don't think you can really tell. For an extra £20-30 I'd take the C542 but not for an additional £100+

Audiophonix
Unregistered guest
I agree with you there - not much difference in the the new 542 and the 541i. I have asked my dealer to locate a 541i for me. He is also offering me a deal on a c 370 - a demo piece. The price is USD 450. I'm thinking about the upgrade. Not too sure though.

Bronze Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 81
The C370 is a gorgeous amp, the best Nad has made in a long while in my opinion. I'd take the deal as $450 is a good price, particularly if you're going to get a warranty with it. I do think you'll prefer it to your C350 - I did. The sound, although similar, is more refined and definitely has more clout at the bottom end.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us