New Nad T763 setup questions

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
My new T763 is on its way- and should be in the next couple of days. Anyone have any setup advice/ tips for getting up and running w/ a 5.1 sat/sub speaker system? An modes/setups I need to pay attention to?

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 146
St. Louis,

The setup of the 763 is fairly straight forward through the use of the On Screen Display. Through the OSD you set speaker size (which you will set to small for all speakers), speaker distance, speaker levels, assign inputs, create custom presets, and so on. For this type of basic stuff, the manual is pretty good. Just follow it and see if you have any questions. I have an NAD t762 and would be more than willing to share any experience that I have had with setting up my unit. Just let me know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
By the way, what is going on with the Blues lately? Apparently the coach was not the problem. Unless something changes pretty quick, their long streak of playoff appearances will come to an end very soon.

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
Guys- Thanks for the advice-- new unit comes in tomorrow. I'm hoping it is along the lines as my old sony receiver (set-up wise only!)- I have a sound meter- which I will use to fine-tune things. Otherwise should be in good shape if the OSD is straightforward. Only negative (but, not a deal killer)- are the 2 opticals-- could've actually used a couple more. When I get ready to add an HD receiver- I may have problems. But, for now I can make the appropriate mods to x-box/ and or sat receiver toslink to coax- and keep my dvd/ cd players through toslink.

I'm telling you- Joe Q. was pretty well respected-- guess there will always be the win-now philosophy. Haven't been able to follow them as much as in prior years- but looks like they may not make the playoffs this year.

Mickey :-)
Unregistered guest
St. Louis,

For setting up my T762 (not much difference with a T763) i used the software available on the NAD site, just connect a laptop or computer with a standard 9pin serial 1 to 1 cable. It got more features then OSD setup, f.i. you can rename your inputs. Interesting feature is to use AV presets, each preset is linked to a source and stores speaker setup, sorround mode, bass and trebble setting. By switching to a different preset the corresponding source is selected with its optimized setup. A word of caution, I found the sound terrible with using a digital input for stereo sources (CD/MD etc). Its much better better to use an analogue interlink. DTS/Dolby Digital sound is great on digital, no problems with that.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 151
STL.B,

I was a little disappointed with the type/number of digital inputs of the 762/763 also. It hasn't been a problem so far, but if I get anything else that has a toslink only (and no coax), then I am in trouble. Why would they do this? If they want to have only 6 inputs total, I can live with that...but why only 2 toslink and 4 coax? It has been my experience that there are more components out there that use toslink as opposed to digital coax, not the other way around. They could have at least made them equal. Doesn't make sense to me...but no one really asked me either. :-)

Mickey,

I am curious about your discussion of using a computer to set up the 762. I didn't even know this was possible. Can you describe a little more about it? What makes it better than the OSD? Thanks...you learn something new every day!

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 11
Mickey: You mean you can control your T762 through the serial port with your PC? Thats new to me, if it's true it's a great feature. Is this only for NAD or everything with a serial port (RS232)?

From NAD homepage:
"This software allows you to control supported NAD A/V receivers and pre-amps from your PC through the RS-232 (serial) port. It supports the following models: T762, T163, T763, T773. The software requires Windows (tm) operating system to run."

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
Cool- even more stuff to play with! On the issue with the toslink/ coax- I'm not really sure either-- as many comparable lower- high-end receivers seem to have at least 4 or 5 optical inputs. Good news is that many devices usch as x-box, satellite receiver, etc. that have optical only- can be quickly mod'd w/ a soldergun and a female rca plug to allow coax use. Not the optimal solution- but not the end of the world either.

Unregistered guest
The software can fully control the T762, and I expect also the models mentioned on the NAD site which are quoted by landroval. More info can be found at:
http://www.nadelectronics.com/support/upgrades_framset.htm

The program can be downloaded at:
http://nadelectronics.com/support/code/TSeriesInstall.msi

I only used it for the setup, you can also use it permanently because it is also very easy to control everything with just a click of the mouse. Just install the software on your laptop/computer and connect the 9pin serial port (mostly COM1) with a standard 9pin male - 9pin female serial cable to the RS232 connector on the back of your receiver. I remember RS232 has limitations in cable length, thought it was around 15 to 20 mtr maximum.

Most powerfull is the ease of setting up your system. All settings are very logical grouped in just a few screens. In just 1 single screen you can fully manage your speaker setup. And thats much more easy then working your way around in the OSD. I would certainly give it a try, I was surprised how easy it was. And I discovered some things which are poorly or not described in the manual. Now my T762 display shows "SACD" in its display instead of "External 7.1", every input can be renamed. Also by this software I discovered the usability of the A/V presets. Most input sources have its own characteristic sound, by using a preset you can configure an optimal setup for the particular source. Like I mentioned above a preset stores the input source together with speaker setup and bass/trebble setting.Maximum 5 presets can be stored, and its easy to recall a preset by the RC. Just press the small square button "A/V Preset" followed by the nr of the stored preset.

One thing I dont like is that I sometimes get a big "boom" when I switch to a preset with different speaker setup. I think its the same issue as other people mentioned when switching between surround modes. I am still trying to find a way to avoid it. Other then that, I am very pleased with the great sound. I finally know the sound my speakers are able to produce. Before I bought it, I listened half an hour to Marantz 7400. When I switched to the T762 i decided within 10seconds to go for the T762. Its a much better receiver to drive my B&W 603. And I am getting short of sleep lately because my listening pleasure increased soo much :-)

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 155
Mickey,

Thanks for the info. I knew that you could use a computer to "control" the receiver...like the website says...but I thought (for whatever reason) that "control" meant that the computer could serve as some sort of second remote...and do the same types of things as a remote. That didn't seem practical to me (i.e. having to plug in and start up the computer every time you wanted to use the receiver)...so I never really pursued it. Obviously I have a lot to learn about my receiver!

Thanks a million!

Unregistered guest
Solved the "boom" problem just now. I am not waking my neighbours up anymore :-) Just leave in each preset all connected speakers set to either smalll or large. You can vary with size and level for each preset w/o a problem. Before I used to switch off my centre and surround speakers in the presets which I used for the tuner and CD-player. If you dont want to listen to these speakers just put listening mode to "direct". So now I am 100% satisfied with my receiver.

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
Got my new T763 in- and set it up. Running with a Polk RM-6700 sat/sub system (for now). Haven't had much time to play with it - but right now everything appears to be working (function wise).

Question though- I notice with some sources- volumes seem to be really lower than others (which I didn't notice as much on my Sony receiver)- meaning that I am really having to turn the volume up-- and- I'm not getting that 'blasting you out of the house effect'- above -5 db to positive Db. Not that I listen to it that way- but part of the fun is cranking it up to see a little of what it can do .

Is that normal - considering the sat speakers do have their limitations? As an example I was getting 75 db from my spl meter at 10' - with the receiver at -13 db. Should the volume become unbearable at some point? Or should the sat limitations start showing? Or am I missing something on an input or gain setting. Thanks.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 156
Do you Bleed Blue?,

I think the difference in volume is normal. Every source will play at a different volume. I have noticed the same thing with my unit. The volume can change even when using the same input. For example, I just have a DVD player (to play both CD's and DVD's). When I play DVD's I usually have to turn up the volume to somewhere between -15 and -5. However, when I listen to CD's on the same player, the optimal listening levels are much lower...maybe around -25 to -20. Similarly, when I use the X-Box, the volume is really low. Sometimes I can only turn the volume to -30 with that. So with my 762 at least, the volume level changes considerably. I think once you start getting into the positive numbers, it will start to get unbearable. I think I turned mine to like +5 once and turned it back down quickly for fear of damaging my speakers.

On another note, I was re-reading this thread, and I wanted to make some other recommendations to you...if I may. As we both have stated, the 762 and 763 is somewhat lacking on optical inputs. You said that your solution to the problem somehow involved soldering and such. I think there is a little easier solution for you. Look at the items below. One is an optical splitter. You can plug in three optical devices into only one input. The second is a converter. With this, you are able to convert digital optical to digital coaxial and vice versa. They are both under $20 and would seem to provide a much better solution than taking things apart and soldering them.

Hope I could help!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=180-980&DID=7

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7

Bronze Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 43

quote:

They are both under $20 and would seem to provide a much better solution than taking things apart and soldering them

Not to mention the fact that you won't void your warranty...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us