Biwiring?

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 65
I keep reading on other threads that bi-wiring causes a slight increase in sound quality...can anyone verify/disprove? any comments? anybody know the science behind bi-wiring vs single wiring?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 794
Somebody needs to call the "Mythbuster" guys at the Discovery Channel to finally blow that stupid theory clean out of the water.

Theres a reason receivers have one set of posts per speaker. I'll bet you could package elephant dung and label it 'accoustical treatments' and audiophiles would line up to plunk down their cash, and gladly scatter them throughout their Home Theaters. And lets not forget, they'll swear they can hear a difference after completing the 'dung-upgrade'.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3649

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/4742.html

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm (see 1.13)

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 66
Wow, Jan...that article kept me busy for over an hour....I feel...well....educated!

lol :P

honestly though, thanks for the response, you saved me the trouble of running another 20 feet of speaker cable and trying to do a double blind test...hah!

Silver Member

Post Number: 796
Double blind test........Heh.
Where have I heard that mentioned before??

Jans responses are always 'slightly' more thoughtful and thorough than mine, if you havnt noticed.

I'm "always" right though, but in an obnoxious kind of way.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3650

See above:
Paul; Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 04:49 pm:

for the exception to that statement. About being right that is.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3651

Cryus - I would bookmark the main page of Elliot's for future reference.

http://sound.westhost.com/site-map.htm

No need for you to, Paul, he doesn't discuss Cerwin Vegas (thankfully).

Anonymous

"Note 1: It must be said that speaker cables in reality contribute little in the way of problems in hi-fi equipment. Much has been made of "super" cables and the like, but in reality although measurable at audio frequencies, there is little proof that these effects are audible. The levels of performance variation caused by the cables are in fractions of a dB, so provided a sufficiently sized cable is used, it matters not whether it cost $2.50 / metre or ten times that amount - except to one's bank account, of course. "

I found that part most interesting as well.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3657

Why? That is one person's opinion and not backed by any facts only a generalized statement.

Would you please give a reference to where you obtained this information.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3658

BTW, the information has nothing to do with biwiring.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 481
I was surprised in the "Avia Guide to Home Theatre Set-up" DVD that when it came to wiring they only stated that video cables made any difference in short runs. When it came to speaker wire, that 16-18 AWG zip cords were just as good as any "snake oil" products in runs of less than 15 feet.

Anonymous

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

Section 1.13, near the bottom of the section.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3663

Thank you, anon. This, in my opinion, is not the place to begin another discussion of whether cables make a difference or not. If anyone wants to look, there are long threads on the topic already on the forum that have usually degenerated into name calling.

If you find that information interesting, you might want to also look at the eight articles Elliot has provided on cables:

http://sound.westhost.com/site-map.htm

I find the Elliot site to be most useful as a reference, though there are some instances where I think further discussion should be provided to all sides of the issue. This is occasionally done in the related articles and not referenced by Elliot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 813
If you live at the end of a 'long-run', then you're really in trouble. Heck, I live 20 miles from the P&L plant. No wonder my CVs sound terrible. Geesh...I live at the end of a 20mile run!!!

I'll bet they're not using quality $50/foot audiophile wire to connect that long run either, so Im really in a hopeless position. I guess my only alternative is to spend a couple thousand dollars on those "last few FEET" of wire, and to purchase several power conditioners.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3671

Paul - That's not why your CV's sound terrible.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 577
Jan, you're absolutely right. Too bad Paul really thinks that is the reason.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3675

He doesn't really.

Silver Member

Post Number: 816
Someday, if and when I find a pair of fronts 'worthy' of my ownership, I'll upgrade.

I do see behemoth sub in my near future though.

Leap of faith??? anyone?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us