Partsexpress only?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 340
is partsexpress.com the only place to get speaker building parts and stuff? i want to give a go at speaker building just as a hobby and maybe get something that sounds decent. any suggestions for books or other websites? thanks

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 344
bow down to the veritable online god called Google, Christopher!

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
haha, well i would like to get some suggestions from people here. internet is a pretty good resource but you never know the reliability or the quality of the source of info.

Username: Organman

Freehold, NJ USA

Post Number: 1
This is my first post to this group so please be patient with me. This is in response to Chris. Lee's question about Parts Express. There is a company in Long Island that caters mainly to the higher end market. Zalytron.com. They have good prices and are exclusively speaker people. If you call them, be aware that they are typical gruff New Yorkers. I host another group and there is a list of suppliers in the data base. Loudspeakerbuilder@yahoogroups.com. I will most likely post a formal invitation to it if the list owners of this group don't get pissed off by this invitation. Hehe...

Cheers:

Alan B

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
thanks alan. i will take a look at that site.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 26
madisound.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
thanks paul. i stumbled on that website before but didnt get the website address down. any suggestions for learning to do this with some level of sanity and correctness? any essential stuff i should invest in? also, is this thing worth the money and trouble it may save?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=390-802
what about box design programs? im gonna be getting some books so im not at a total loss. im not crazy or anything, trying to find some hobby to keep me busy and mind working.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3662

A fair amount can be learned by perusing the speaker builders' web sites. The (more or less) authority for speaker builders 101A is atill, as far as I know, The Loudspeaker Cookbook by Vance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
thanks jan. will be looking for that book. hope its a good read!

Username: Organman

Freehold, NJ USA

Post Number: 2
Here's a link to the software that I have been using for years. It's only $25.00 (and that's American dollars too). It may be worth it just for the tutorial which is as good as any book that I have read on speaker building (well, nearly any) and I have read quite a few. And to answer the question that you are probably thinking; No I have nothing to do with this product other than as a consumer. This is not spam. Actually, I can't believe the price hasn't gone up. I bought it almost 10 years ago. It's nothing fancy so won't take up a lot of hard drive space or be quirky to install.

http://www.diamondcut.com/boxplot.htm

Also, thanks to anyone who joined my group, loudspeakerbuilder@yahoogroups.com. I see that there a few more bodies there but I didn't check to see who they were.

Cheers:

Alan B

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
thanks alan. i think i may get that. how is it compared to other design software like bassbox? anyone think getting that software from dayton for testing speaker specs is unnecessary?

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 104
Orange County Speaker supply also has DIY stuff, check them out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us