Is it time for a new CD player?

Username: Watler

Post Number: 3
i have a cambridge 640 amp aegis evo one speakers and an old rotel rcd865bx cd player now i like this player but it is old now and am wondering whether to go for a new one seeing as i have new everything else , any ideas??

cheers

Username: Watler

Post Number: 4
actually its a 965bx!

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 486
DVD-Audio. The player will play CDs, too. But you won't look back.

Bronze Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 27
John A. can you, or anyone else, claify something for me regarding a DVD-A disc, I understand there is (usually?) a DTS 5.1 mix which is playable on most any DVD player and another completely separate mix that can only be decoded by a DVD-A player. Is this correct so far?
Now I see the DVD-A player can decode 24/96 and 24/192. Does this mean 24/96 in 5.1 surround and 24/192 in stereo? Or is there a 24/192 surround mix on any/all DVD-A discs?

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 489
Sem,

"Yes" to all except the last question. There are two partitions. The DVD-V partition usually has DTS and DD AC-3. The DVD-A partition has 5.1 24/96 and 24/192 in stereo. There is never a 24/192 surround mix.

The two "partitions", DVD-V and DVD-A, can sometimes be on different sides of the disc. I think that is best. Apart from anything else, the player sees either a DVD-V disc or a DVD-A disc, depending on which way up the disc is, in the tray.

However, on the budget Naxos discs I have, everything (DVD-A; DTS; DD) is on one side, with the label printed on the other. Most of the Naxos discs do not have a 24/192 stereo DVD-A mix at all. Also, not all the the 5.1 DVD-A mixes are 24/96. I have seen 24/48 and 24/44. They are still awesome.

They are still DVD-A.

Bronze Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 30
OK, thanks.

irma
Unregistered guest
hello,
i just ordered a cd, and got one w dts 5.1 label on it. i found out what it is, and that one needs a new sys. to get the whole experience. however, all i want to know is - can i play it on just any cd player, and is the sound ok?

thanks a lot

Username: Robm

LondonUk

Post Number: 1
Hi all

DVD-A looks like it won't happen with Blu-ray and Blu-laser on there way. Here in the UK sales of DVD-A and SACD are non-starters. A recent report from Toshiba and Sony says that the 'Blue' technology is the way forward as it is capable of much larger storage.

robM

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us