Panasonic SA-XR45

Raghu
Unregistered guest
Hi,
Can anyone please tell if panasonic receivers (especially the one mentioned) are any good?
Also would like to know how to choose receiver/speaker system combinations.
Any information is greatly valued and appreciated.
Thanks is advance.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 263
It is above average at that price range. But with all channels driven the wattage drops significantly. If you get efficient speakers such as Klipsch (and some others that are 90db or more)and the room isn't too big, the receiver should be fine.

Just look at some reviews of speakers in your price range that are efficient and see if you can go to a dealership and listen to them. And get the best self-powered subwoofer at your budget.

Raghu
Unregistered guest
Hi Greg,
Thanks for your response.I looked some speaker systems and found KLH HT9706 (88dB sensitivity).what is your opinion of this combination? I do understand that everyone has their own likings when it comes to buying something.Only a few give unbiased advice.I very much appreciate your inputs on this.

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 270
Are these the KLH HTA-9706 speakers that list at $299 (and can be bought at less than $100) for 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer?

I doubt that 5 speakers and a subwoofer that sell for $79.95 can sound much better than a clock radio.

Let me know if the speakers you are talking about are different.

The Panasonic is overkill for those speakers. Your speakers should cost much more than your receiver.

Then again, I could be misunderstanding you. What is your budget for speakers and a receiver?

Raghu
Unregistered guest
Hi Greg,
Your understanding of KLH HTA-9706 is correct.The manufacturer specification rates these speakers at 100W for 5 speakers(8 ohm) and 50W powered sub woofer(8 ohm).
Are these speaker very overrated? KLH is supposed to have a good name in the market!!!
My budget for a receiver and speakers put together is about $400. I know this budget is not a big one but i really don't fancy the idea of spending a lot on my first home theater :-)

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 271
The manufacturer rating of speakers has almost "zero" to do with how they sound. When you ask--"Are these speakers over-rated?" My answer is--"Who is rating them highly?".

The speakers have far more impact on the sound than the receiver does. If I were you and wanted a beginner set-up I would look at the CNET reviews of "Theatre in a Box systems".

They rate the Onkyo HT-S760 very highly (8.3 out of 10). It comes with everything you need--receiver, speakers, dvd player, hook-ups, etc. and it costs somewhere between $450-$500.

Pioneer has the HTD-630DV and is rated 8.0 and is a wireless speaker hook-up and can be gotten around $400.

Panasonic makes the SC-HT900 and costs between $350-$500.

Obviously the above prices are if you are in the USA.

If you want to buy your pieces separately (at this price I rarely recommend that except for peculiar situations) I would not pay $300 or so for a receiver in a $400 budget. If you want a receiver and speakers, don't pay more than $200 and preferably a lot less. You can't beat a pre-packaged system for performance, as these have been designed to operate optimally at their "price point".

But if you have heard these KLH speakers and like them at their price point---go get them. But I would not buy them blindly without hearing them, unless you have at least seen a reliable magazine review.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us