Pioneer 1014 for Mordaunt Short Avant 902 ?

Bronze Member
Username: Pal

PuneIndia

Post Number: 76
Is Pioneer 1014 a good receiver to drive Mordaunt-Short Avant 902 speakers ? The speaker ratings say that Nominal Impedence is 4-8 ohms...so is it 4 or 8 ?
Or will they overload the Pioneer ?

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 297
should be fine; I'd be worried if the speaker ratings said only, "4 ohms."

Bronze Member

PuneIndia

Post Number: 77
Thanks for the reply Edster. Yeah that exactly was worrying me...cos it said 4 - 8 ohms.
And what would be your comments for the same speaker with Nad 320 BEE ?

Thanks and i really appreciate your help.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 755
Manish,
My speakers are rated at 4-8Ohms too, and here's my take.
They'll mainly operate at 8 ohms until you push them hard, and when you drive them hard, they'll drop down to 4 during loud heavy moments.

Based on your speakers, you should be OK.....IMO.

I wouldnt recommend any speaker with NAD because they've had many quality control and design flaws with their products that they've been working on.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 479
WTF? Please find some "quality control and design flaws" with the NAD 320 BEE amp, I'd be really interested in reading the comments.

Bronze Member

PuneIndia

Post Number: 78
Well to be frank, i am personally using Nad 320 BEE with B&W 602 S3 and its been almost 8-9 months now...and i've had no complaints...infact i am too happy !!
As for the Pioneer, a friend of mine has got the receiver and he is planning to buy the MS Avant 902 speakers...but since he is not much interested in movies, so we were thinking why not sell off the receiver and instead get a good 2 channel amp.
what would be the best amp for the Mordaunt Short speakers (902 or 904 is what he is considering)

Anonymous

A Marantz amp will go well with the MS's. Marantz are the distributor for MS and use them for evaluation purposes too. I think the warm nature of Marantz (amps at least) will go very well with the forward nature of MS speakers.

Anonymous

Just to add the PM7200 is a good amp for stereo and worth considering. If your friend wants to combine movies and music then the SR7500 would be a great choice. A bit pricey compared to the pioneer but nearly as good as the PM7200 in stereo and a cracking movie amp. The SR5500 would be a good compromise if price is an issue.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 302
Manish,

Should be fine with the NAD. And ignore Paul, as usual he gets very easily confused with anything just a smidgen more complex than 1+1=2.

If you're in the market for a receiver right now I'd look at the Marantz 8400s they have going on uBid, you should be able to pick one up for around $500 with full Marantz warranty...absolute steal!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 450
Paul wrote:

My speakers are rated at 4-8Ohms too, and here's my take.
They'll mainly operate at 8 ohms until you push them hard, and when you drive them hard, they'll drop down to 4 during loud heavy moments.

That is impossible. Electrical circuits do not behave like this. They are linear. It might mean that they are 8 ohms nominal and dip to 4 ohms at certain frequencies regardless of the power you feed them.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 759
Maybe my wording wasnt very good, but when I said 'loud heavy moments', what in the hell did you think I was talking about???

Loud and deep bass segments........

Low frequencies.......duh?

BTW, I know you knew what I meant, but you went out of your way to say that for nothing anyway.

Bronze Member

PuneIndia

Post Number: 79
Thanks everybody for the advice. I think my friend should try out both NAD and Marantz, and i would leave the rest of his ears !! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 454
Paul,

Duh?

You said the equivalent of: when you drive them hard, they drop to 4 ohms. They will drop to 4 ohms whether you drive them hard with 100W or lightly with 0.001W.

So I think you were talking about volume, not about frequency.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us