Mmg don't get them if...

Username: Htspk

Post Number: 5
...you don't want to be hooked on:-)
I bought a pair last week.My first impression was that they were big..I connected them to my receiver (old yamaha ) and put some cd.
My wife really cursed me for getting such big , bad sounding speakers.The sound was so bad that I used to get a headache whenever I played them.Bass was very clumsy.But I thought ok let me play them for a couple of days.So I played them day-night for 3 days.Then I came back and heard them.What a remarkable transformation!!!
I could not believe my ears.The headache sound was gone, bass was very tight and musical.My wife liked them so much that she has asked me not to return them.
I have been on this forum for several months now.I have read about MMGs bass problem.Let me tell you I did not see any of them.The bass I am getting from them is more than sufficient for most stereo music.If you want anything low, get a subwoofer.
All in all , I am extremely pleased and hooked on to their sound.Now my wife has got a new problem.How to make me stay away from them:-)) I seem to play them on every moment I am home.

I can't wait till I order my nad t753 and the whole maggie setup.
Let me thank Hawk for making this choice for me..
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 84
I have a pair of MMG's too but haven't set them up yet. they're still in their original box, just sitting in the room calling out, "open me"

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 389
UPenn:

Great choice! IMO, the MMGs are the greatest value in home audio today. I wish my wife appreciated good sound as much as your wife!

The MMGs are probably the best example of why certain components have to be "run-in." Like you, my first sounds out of the box had me wondering if I had lost my mind buying these things, but I was prepared to run them in and I left the room and let the receiver do its thing. When I came back, it was a near religous experience as the speakers had lossened up, and the sound was clean, detailed and vibrant beyond belief. I believe you have many hours of woderful listening ahead of you.

I do want to underscore that the 'myth" of the Maggies being "bass-shy" is just that--a myth. The MMGs go just as low as any bookshelf and as low as many floorstanders. I had no problem using them as stand-alones for my stereo listening and used the sub strictly for LFE on DVDs.

The NAD will really open up those Maggies! Post your observations when you get the whole thing set-up--I am really anxious to hear your thoughts.

Enjoy!

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_b

Post Number: 22
UPenn,

Congrats on a super speaker choice! I have had my Maggie 1.6's for about 3 weeks now, and they just keep sounding better and better. I know you will enjoy yours. Best of luck.

Heff,

Open the box(s) already! Those speakers will change your listening life. Best of luck.

Post Number: 6
Thanks..
I have one question for hawk regarding the tweeter placement.I have not yet played around with them but I have read one of your posts that they should be 'outside' rather than inside.
what does this mean?
Thanks again.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 393
UPenn:

If you look through the foam covering on the speakers, you will see one edge of the speaker looks different from the rest of the panel. This is the ribbon tweeter. My owner's information sheet that came with my MMGs suggested this ribbon tweeter should be on the inside--that is, on the edge closest to the other speaker. However, after experimenting with placement, I discovered that I preferred having the ribbon tweeter on the outside (that is, on the edge away from the other speaker--closer to the side wall).

I would not suggest this is the only way or the best way to set up the speakers. Again, I heartily recommend you experiment to see what works best in your listening room. As G-Man would remind us, room acoustics are one of the most important factors that is usually overlooked--so play around with the MMGs to see what sounds the best to your ears.

Have fun!

Post Number: 7
Thanks Hawk.
I will let you know my experiences once I get my whole setup.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 300
Wow, I've got to try these things. All I can add (in total ignorance of MMGs) is that the tweeter produces the most directional part of the sound. If MMGs are so big you have to choose, put the tweeters at the apexes (apices?) of the stereo listening triangle. So whether to have them outside or inside depends how far apart you have the speakers relative to your listening position. Sounds like my kind of speaker. Probably they are OK from anywhere you choose!

Anonymous

Gentlemen,

I have reading the postings about the Magnepan speakers with much interest. I had been intent on purchasing some of the new Epos ELS speakers for front and back as well as adding the center channel. However, I have stumbled upon a review of the Magnepan MMG W and MMG C speakers and am quite intrigued. Since both set-ups cost the same, what would be the main differences - other than cosmetic?

Appreciate the feedback.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 406
Anon:

The Epos ESL-3s are one of the great unknowns. My research indicates that there are only about 25 dealers of Epos speakers in all of the US and Canada. I called all four Music Hall dealers in Colorado (Music Hall is the importer of the Epos line of loudspeakers) and none carry them--only the Music Hall turntables and some carry the related Creek brand of integrated amps and phono pre-amps. I went as far as to contact Roy Hall himself, who was very nice BTW, and despite my best efforts, I do not have an Epos dealer within three states of me. So, even though I was bowled over by the reviews in Stereophile, etc., and would love to try them out in my home system, I cannot find ESL-3s, anywhere. They may, in fact, be too inexpensive for their own good (the same may be said about the Magnepans!).

If you do order some ESL-3s, you will have to post your thoughts about them here on this board. Many of us would very much like to hear the experiences of one of us, not a professional reviewer, on these speakers.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 312
It looks as if Epos has an wide distribution within the UK - a mirror image of the case with e.g. Magnepan. "ESL" to me suggests "electrostatic loudspeaker" but this is clearly not the case. Formidable specifications, though. This may be one of those case where shipping and import costs add so much to the the retail price that the best-value solution is different in different countries.

medwig
Unregistered guest
Just had my first "maggie" experience....WOW!!

Listened to a pair of Phase Tech teatro 4.5's w/matching center and sub, driven by a marantz 7300 A/V receiver...was good!!

Next I listened to Soliloqy sat-5's w/matching center and sub. same receiver...was better to much better.

Last, I listened to the magnepan MGMC1's w/matching center and a phase tech sub. Same receiver. All I kept thinking while listening to a DVD of Eric Clapton was, a) I must have these, and b) I hope my wife likes the way they look.

Now I understand the passion for these speakers. So musical and such a large soundstage!!

Thanks forum for introducing me to a slice of hi-fi heaven!!

BTW, is the marantz a good match for these speakers - it sounded great - or is there a better sonic match?

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 416
medwig:

Your experience is like so many--welcome to the brotherhood of Magnepan believers! I agree that I have never heard a more dynamic and realistic sounding speaker. Fact is, if you were listening to the MGMC1s, you simply won't believe how much better the bigger ones sound (greater bass extension).

I love Marantz receivers and I came very close to getting one (the SR-7300), but for me it came down to the fact that Marantz is not rated to handle 4 ohm speakers and the magnepans are a 4 ohm speaker. While it may work, it may also overheat and shut down right in the middle of a DVD or CD. In fact, the Maggie's impedence will drop down to about 3.7 ohms at some frequencies, which is why they can be difficult to drive, so you have to be very careful with the selection of electronics. When I ordered my MMGs, Magnepan wouldn't even sell them to me unless I went to my receiver and assured the saleswoman that the back of the receiver said it would drive a 4 ohm speaker! Many consumers are learning about high quality speakers, which often come with a low impedence rating, but these speakers were never intended to be driven by a mass market receiver. Instead, they are intended to be driven by high quality separates which are capable of driving low impedence speakers. Unfortunately, separates are usually beyond the means of mere mortals (such as myself), but we still want that sound that we hear from speakers like the Maggies.

Your best bet in a receiver to drive Maggies is an NAD 753. Street price is around $800 (MSRP $1K). I got one a couple of months ago to replace a Denon 3803 and I absolutely love it. The sound is very warm, focused and clean, it images beautifully, and it can handle low impedence loads down to 2 ohms with aplomb, so driving Maggies is no problem. As a sonic match, I don't think you can do better without going to separates for more than twice the price.

If you do go for separates, look into the Outlaw 950/755 combo. Available directly from Outlaw (www.outlawaudio.com), this is an excellent pre/pro and amp that will have a lot more power than the NAD, and will also have a similar warm sound that compliments the Maggies very well.

Good luck! I truly hope your wife likes the MGMC1s!

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 281
Hawk,
Are you still buying a Dynaudio speaker set-up? I heard the 42 last week and was blown away?

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 419
elitefan:

Hey, good buddy! Well, I did hit a snag as I intended to have three identical Dynaudio 42Cs across the front, but my system design required that the speaker hang flush against the wall. But the 42C's binding posts are mounted in a way that this is impossible, so I am sitting here with one 42C as I await delivery of a pair of 42Ws, which will fit flush against the wall. So, I will eventually have two pair of 42Ws and a 42C for my system. As my Dynaudio dealer has stopped stocking Dyns (they were not selling well--little brand recognition in a store stocked to the ceilings with B+Ws), they are a special order item only, hence the wait for delivery. They replaced the Dyns on the floor with Sonus Fabers, which I like, but they are a little funky looking.

I have tried many times to come to terms with my wife over having Maggies which I think are the very best sonding speaker I have ever heard, but she simply cannot stand having anything so large. She doesn't even want to see the speaker if she can help it. I had to return my MMGs about 9 months ago and strongly considered the MGMC1s, but they didn't pass muster, either. So, I settled on the Dyns, which is a great speaker in its own right.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 284
Hawk,
Good to hear from you my friend. I wanted to be a bit more specific on my experience with the Dynaudio 42. I was lucky enough to hear them through a BAT 6200 amp[Balanced Audio Technology] and a BAT preamp and CD player. The amp itself is $5000 retail and this was a really awesome listening experience. I have never heard a mid to small speaker image like the 42's. To say I was amazed would be a understatement. Just incredible. This was in a room about 28x18 or so and those little beauties completely filled it up. If only they weren't 4 ohm speakers I would seriously consider a set but for now will suffer with my Elite/Monitor audio system.
Also, at another store I heard the Yamaha 2400 with Paradigm Monitor 7's and the 2400 while still bit thin is a definate improvement over previous Yamaha's. Not enough for me to buy one but enough to say it's not a bad unit like most previous Yamaha's. Maybe they are finally getting their act together after so many years of poor products. I was not able to compare the Yamaha/Paradigm to NAD/Paradigm as this store discontinued NAD due to the problems of the past year or so with NAD and replaced NAD with Rotel. They didn't have a Rotel/Paradigm setup and didn't want to move anything around so I left and went to hear the Dynaudio's. I envy you for having a NAD/Dynaudio system in the works. That's a dream system to me. I have been toying with the idea of someday buying a NAD 973 amp and using my Elite as a pre-pro and then maybe going with a Dynaudio speaker setup. That's just a thought anyway.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us