Processor search part 2- Lexicon cp3

Username: Okiecaver

Post Number: 7
I've found various freestanding processors on Audionet and Audiogon. The best Ive seen are from Lexicon. I've found cp-1s starting 125.00 and cp3s from 300.00. Are these good prices and whats the difference between the CP3 and the CP3+?

TIA
Brock

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 266
The prices are fine, but these are over a decade old. I think you can only process Dolby Prologic, not the newer formats, such as DTS, AC-3, and many others.

I don't think it processes Prologic II. When Prologic was the only game in town it was a great piece. Now it is not that useful for most people.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 10
Hi Gregory

The CP1 was their base pro logic decoder. The CP3 was their THX unit, designed to be used with 7.1 channels. The CP3+ had additional music and tv surround modes. None would decode digital or switch s-vhs.

Brock

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 268
If it has the features and the formats you want, then it strikes me as nigh impossible to beat at that price.

But with modern 7.1 preamps that have that processing and more (with far more powerful chipsets), such as the Outlaw Audio at $799 that has everything but Prologic IIx, I would be hardpressed to recommend the much older Lexicon cp3, unless that is all the user ever wanted.

Who wants a processor that doesn't decode Dolby Digital, DTS digital, and other digital formats?

Bronze Member

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 11
I'm agreeing with you now!

After looking at the prices for multi channel amps in addition to a used processor, I realized I could do better with a new receiver with pre-outs (Pioneer 912) , a good seperate phono stage, and an outboard speaker selector (Parasound). With discounts that would bring me under 600, 200 less than the amp alone. That leaves money for a sub and 2 more surrounds.

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 272
The Pioneer 912 is certainly one of the best at its price point. As long as not having OSD (on screen display) doesn't bother you, it gives you a lot of other features. OSD is mostly important during set-up---but I am sure set-up is easy without it. My Aragon separate preamp downstairs doesn't have OSD--and it was the easiest preamp or receiver to set-up that I hardly had to look at the manual.

At your price point receivers are the only sensible purchase for multi-channel home theatre experience. I would only recommend used separates for someone that was going to be starting a stereo system at an inexpensive price.

I am glad you got on the right track.

Unregistered guest
I have a mint CP3+ Processor for sale if anybody in this thread is interested. As far as sound goes, and it may be that I'm tone deaf..but I think it sounds better in THX prologic mode than my Rotel RB985 in DD mode. Its a warmer tone. The DD sounds good but harsher. For music mode the Rotel can't touch it...but I 'justified' the emperors new clothes to my wife so the Lexicon has to go... a bargain for someone else. (UK based)

Anonymous

Stupid question:
I would guess that the analogue bits of the CP3 are far superior to what youd get in cheaper / newer freestanding decoders. Possibly the D/A converters as well. Does anyone know if it would be feasable to drop a newer decoder into the CP3 to get the best of both worlds?

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 701
the h/k's are fine pieces of equipment also.

i am using an h/k 525 which also has all the preamp out's.
and 8 ch inputs.

not to mention all the 7.1 processing with pretty
good internal high current amps. and a nice osd.

about the only thing it doesn't have is pIIx.

i'm using the internal amps for the rear's and
all 3 front outputs (including center) hooked to
a rotel rb-993 very nice sounding setup.

the more i use the h/k the more i find it just
works right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us