Which paradigms should I upgrade too?

Bronze Member
Username: Sr_immortal

Post Number: 19
I posted this in another thread, but decided it should have its own thread:

Ok I have a question. I just bought 2 pairs of Paradigm Titans for the front and back and the CC-270. I talked the wife into letting me upgrade and these are my 3 choices:

#1. Two pairs of Monitor 5s for front and surroudn and the CC-370.

#2. A pair of Monitor 7s and Mini Monitors for the surrounds and the CC-370 or

#3 A pair of Studio 20s for the front and Mini Monitors for the rears and the CC-470.

Now I have the Denon 1905 and wont be able to upgrade that for awhile. I also use my HT system for 85% video games, 15% movies, no music at all. I also have the Toshiba 52" DLP. I play video games online competitively so having the best imaging and localization is what I am looking for...which is why I chose to stick with monopole speakers for my surrounds, rather than the ADPs. What do you guys think? #1 was my first option, #2 is what the paradigm dealer suggested, and #3 was what the guys over at the AVS forums suggested, but kinda switched to #2 after I gave them that option.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 476
I'd say option #1 given your use of video games and movies, definitely not #3 as you'd be sacrificing impact for fidelity - and since you're not listening to any music it's not worth it.

I'm assuming you have a good quality sub. If not #2 would provide more bass, although it puts more strain on the amp, which is not very powerful.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
well no I dont have a very good sub, a cheap yamaha 200 watt sub that I got off ebay. The problem is that I live in an apartment so I cant have that "good" of a sub, or I will get so many tickets that I will have to sell my system.

With that said, and the fact that I have a cheap amp, what do you think?

Username: Sethmckiness

Des Moines

Post Number: 7
with that sub go with the Mini monitors front and rear, a cc-370 and a ps-1000 sub woofer

You need a real sub for a surround system Mini's are great for front and rear duty

Des Moines

Post Number: 8
oh yeah.. Going with Dipoles over monopoles should ahve nothing to do with localization and everything to do with room lay out! if you sit against the back wall, you really should look at the ADPs, other wise Mini's will be fine. (I Install at a paradigm dealer)

Des Moines

Post Number: 9
oh yeah.. Going with Dipoles over monopoles should ahve nothing to do with localization and everything to do with room lay out! if you sit against the back wall, you really should look at the ADPs, other wise Mini's will be fine. (I Install at a paradigm dealer)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I thought the whole point of dipoles was so that there wasnt localization. That you would have some sort of enveloping affect like you have in the movie theaters. So that the sound wouldnt make you take your eyes off the TV. But I want the sound to make me want to turn around. Except I dont have to do that physically with my head, I just push the analog directional pad on the controller the correct way!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 477
I play lots of games and have Polk Fxi3 surrounds with a Bi-Pole/Di-Pole switch. I've used both and can say the localization is much better with the di-pole setting. In a game like Rainbow Six 3, where surround offers a huge advantage, the bi-pole setting would give a good indication of where the sound was coming from, while the di-pole gives an EXACT location. I mean it's so good if someone takes a half step 50 feet away I know exactly where he is.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us