In wall subwoofer


New member
Username: Sparky321

Post Number: 1
Registered: May-05
I am in need of an in wall subwoofer, at least 10" and somewhat reasonably priced. My reciever has an RCA output for a sub. My question really is does it need to be a powered sub and can I buy a powered sub for an in wall application? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 792
Registered: Jan-05
It doesnt work that way with subs. Unless you plan to buy a sub, and install the entire cabinet into the wall.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3647
Registered: May-04

Paul is thinking only of self enclosed subs, not stand alone low frequency drivers. Any speaker that can produce frequencies lower than your main speakers can be considered a "sub"woofer. There are companies that manufacture raw drivers that are mewant for low frequency applications. Depending on how you would be mounting the driver some are already classified as "in wall"
designs, which usually just means the driver has some fashion of support for its mounting and gasket. Again depending on your installation, any raw driver might be the solution to your problem.

A driver mounted in the ceiling can be covered with a vent screen/grill that would normally be used for an air intake on a HVAC system. The same can be true of a driver mounted in the wall or floor. In what Paul is discussing, an entire subwoofer enclosure can be mounted in a closet or other open space and vented to the room.

If you choose to go the raw driver route, explore the concept of infinite baffle loading. It is an old technique that offers exceptional bass response if you can accommodate the dimensions of the baffle. (Most ceiling or floor mounted drivers will work as infinite baffles.)

The amplifier can be, and probably should be, a sepearate unit for serviceability. A plate amplifier can be used, but probably a stand alone power amp or old receiver is the best choice.

When mounting low frequency drivers in the wall, make certain the wall(s) will not resonate when certain frequencies are struck. And insulate the wall to minimize sound transmission to another adjacent room. There are building techniques that can be employed to assist in this type installation. Discuss this with a builder or the shop where you purchase the driver.


Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 251
Registered: Mar-05
this one is nice

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 798
Registered: Jan-05
I havnt read many reviews on those. I suppose what is considered 'good' is relative, and for the right can be a viable alternative.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us