Best amp for my Bose 901's?????

Username: Cindarn

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 1
Have a pair of Bose 901s Series 6. Need to replace old workhorse Marantz from the late 70's....Could any of you guys that "get it" help this untechie nurse? I called Bose tech-he suggested MarantzSR4320, Denon DRA685, and NAD C740 or C352 or C320BEE. Which of these would produce the best sound? Are there better amp choices for me? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 335
Any NAD will sound better than the Marantz amd Denon receivers.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 275
I tend to agree with Arthur on the NAD, but what's your total budget? Also is this a stereo or surround system? What % music and what % HT?

If you can afford a NAD, you would probably hear much more dramatic improvement by buying a moderately priced receiver ($200-400) and getting better speakers ($300-600).

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 694
I agree, NAD makes especially good receivers providing you enjoy humming and hissing in the background.

buyer beware
:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 695
Marantz, Denon, Pioneer, or Yamaha..........
choose which best fits your personal needs.

Please avoid NAD because they either have design flaws or a quality control problem.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 471
NAD's premier reciever units have some quality control issues with the humming and buzzing, so we all should disregard their products for life? I guess all their seperates are crap too?

I would caution against Ver 1 NAD receivers as well, but their current products don't have that problem or any of their other products for that matter.

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 2
We use them for music, not for surround sound. Have a Bose Lifestyles 50 for that. (probably was a big mistake, but, oh well) May hook cable tv so we can get sattelite music through them. Can't buy new speakers right now-..looking to spend up to $600 or so for receiver. Hubbie would be happier at 4-500. We aren't very good at this (obviously) and the guys in the shops we've been to aren't very helpful, either. Looking for suggestions for specific brands/model numbers. I only listed Marantz, Denon and NAD models in first post because that's what the Bose-person said. We are open to any brand/model that works with the speakers. Don't necessarily need receiver..just amp. My goal is to get the best quality sound with the speakers I now have... I know this is probably way below the level of equipment most of you have and I hope I haven't insulted anyone with this question...

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Cinda,

Yikes, a Lifestyle system. OK I won't go there.

Well if you absolutely must keep the 901s then you can always look at the $500 Marantz PM2700 integrated amplifier though with the Bose speakers it is probably overkill:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MARAPM7200&product_name= PM7200%20Integrated%20Amplifier%20-%20Black

Or an HK 3480, which has the advantage of providing a subwoofer preout, $300 shipped:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3960817

As for NAD, as Kano correctly pointed out, the technical problems that Paul mentioned only occurred on a very small handful of their top-line units which would be far over your stated budget in the first place. Paul after all considers his Cerwin Vegas to be the holy pinnacle of speaker design, so please take him with many grains of salt, LOL.

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 3
Edster922: Thanks for your replies. Going back to your agreeing with Arthur that NAD might be better, I saw a C352 online refurbished, but will pay for a "new one" if, indeed, the NAD produces a better result. Would that be any good? Also saw someone raving about 320BEE on another forum. They said the BEE part was special because of the designer. Which NAD model to the $6-700 range? (I knew I was in for a smack when I revealed the 901's...)LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
I'd think that the c352 would probably be better than the 320BEE based on its bigger size and weight, which are usually reliable quality indicators where electronics are concerned, and also the 60% higher RMS which might come in handy since Bose speakers famously have very low sensitivity so they need more power. Which is another reason why I like the 120 wpc HK3480 in this case.

(The BEE stands for Bjorn Erik Edvardsen, who designed the famous NAD 3020 amp; have no idea how his work compares to that of other NAD amp designers though.)

I really don't mean to keep whacking at your 901s just because they're Bose, but I can't help wondering just how much of a difference you'd really be able to notice between the $300 HK receiver and that $600 c352 when stuck with the 901s...my guess is it'd be like putting high octane gas into a Ford Focus. My feeling is that the NAD would produce a far more noticeable difference if you were using them with far better speakers.

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 4
OK Edster922. I wasn't going to ask this, but.... Just suppose I sold the whole mess....the 901's and the Lifestyle 50. What would you recommend for a 4K budget that would cover music and surround sound???

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 339
I'll answer as I believe Edster would although I think I'll up the quality of the DVD player. Here it goes.

Ascend Acoustics CMT 340 mains
Ascend Acoustics CMT 340 center
Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 rears
HSU Research VTF 2 Sub
Total speaker system 1647.00 delivered

Marantz SR5500 Receiver 649.00 list can be had for less

Denon DVD 2910 universal player lists for 739.00 can be had for less.

Total before electronics discount = 3035.00

Rock on!

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
Wait, Edster doesn't recommend spending more than $29.99 on a DVD player.

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
That's pretty darn good, Arthur! : )

Kano is right, I'd normally recommend the $50 Toshiba 3960 from jandr.com if Cinda doesn't already have a DVD player then if you're really keen on getting super CD quality out of it you can have referenceaudiomods.com modify it for an extra $400 or so. The Denon does have the advantage of DVD-A and SACD capability though, if you're at all interested in starting another expensive habit.

The Marantz 5500 is $600 shipped from hifi.com or the HK 635 is around $715 shipped online...you can get the HK from Ascend Acoustics along with the speakers too and they'd probably be able to match or beat that price. The HK should give you slightly better sound plus has a nice auto setup feature and beautiful looks.

Or I'd consider doing what Arthur does and get a 2-channel integrated amp hooked up to either receiver to run the front L/R when music listening and use the receiver for HT. The other upgrade I'd consider is using Magnepan MMGs for the fronts with such an amp.

Sure wish *I* had $4K to play with, LOL. So nice to shop vicariously! : )

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 5
Arthur, my hubbie is envious of your system; He's now talking about NO vacation this fall and looking at "a new system!" We do, by the way have same TV as you... and we also have a new DVD player LGDBV418. I guess those 2 components become our new base. Is this how the fever begins? Leaving out the Denon DVD2910 would you still stay with the Marantz SR5500 and the Ascend Acoustics system you mentioned? Edster recommends the HK635 as alternative and Magnepan MMGs instead of the CMT340s.

Pappi
Unregistered guest
Paul is an annoying idiot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 705
Kano,

IMO.......replacing a defective humming and hissing NAD with another NAD, would be strikingly similar to a pig who continually zaps his nose into the electric fense.

Lets say you are building a new house and you choose builder 'X'. Once you move into the house, you discover doors sticking, and many other builder related quality control problems and defects.

When it's time build house #2, are you going to call builder 'X' again to give him another try??
LOL......I think not!!

It doesnt matter the product.....cars, appliances, camping gear, sporting goods, or any product!! If you buy a product from brand 'X' that has known defects common through entire product lines, you'll be buying brand 'y' the next time around.

Thats reality unless you're 'that pig' that keeps getting zapped by the same electric fence over and over.

Its one thing to buy a 'fluke' component that stops working, because all companies have a small percentage of defective products that hit the open market. I can deal with a 'fluke' issue, but when a company(NAD) sells products with defects common to entire product lines.......that's not acceptable. Im sure you convinced yourself that the buzzing sound isnt "that bad".

Unlike the pig, I learn from my personal experiences and learn from mistakes.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 441
Paul would be glad be everyone to start believing that NAD is junk. But is it really true? I know two people with 7x2 series (a 742 and a 752) and they don't have problems. So it's certainly not every NAD out there that has a problem.

People say the issues are resolved. But Paul would like to bury the company anyway; no second chances. Perhaps Intel should have died with its early Pentium bug as well?

Silver Member

Post Number: 474
My favorite pizza place had a complete idiot screw up my order the other night. Should I never order from them again?

No, I'd rather wait until they inevitably fire him and start ordering again.

NAD just started in the multi-channel receiver business. Obviously their first generation receivers had a flawed design, as I've heard one too many reports of buzzing and hissing. But all would agree the NAD sound is still there, and that's worth giving the company a little slack to get things right.

I won't be the guy repeatedly getting zapped by the electric fence, nor would I be the guy who writes the companies future products off because of one generation of receivers with quality control issues, as I consider that to be just as rediculous.

Silver Member

Post Number: 708
You're correct.......

It was obviously very flawed. I feel sorry for the poor individuals who were duped into buying their defective product lines.

I compare HiFi audio Components that buzz and hiss to buying a new TV that arrives with no color and a snowy/flickering image. BTW, the problem isnt the signal, but caused by a manufacture tossing an entire product line into the market that should have still been in R&D.

Pappi
Unregistered guest
Guys,
Why are you listening to Paul and even more so, debating with him?
I just feel sorry for the guy, replying to his posts is just wasted time and energy.
I mean, does he really have any knowledge of high-end gear ? .... Obviously not....I mean Cerwin Vegas ! ...give me a Break ! LMAO

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 185
true true... NAD are one of the only reasonably priced recievers (surround sound or stereo) that can drive maggies.

Paul just likes to blow smoke up everyones monophonic ar$eholes. Apparently his is stereophonic, being that he blows twice as much smoke as everyone else.

Username: Dguss

Madera, California

Post Number: 1
Have you checked out the Onkyo line of recievers? I have a TX-DS 939, not the latest and greatest, but it ROX!

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 199
everyone around here for the most part is very familiar with Onkyo. I don't think they are too bad for the price.

However, $600 and up for a surround sound reciever is NAD (entry level high end) territory.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
I'd stay away from NAD H/T gear. I own a few of 2 channel components (including the 3020, bought brand new) and I think they make the best 2 channel gear for the money. My local dealer who has carried NAD (for 20+years) contemplated dropping them because all of the problems with their H/T gear. Instead of dropping them he only displays their 2 channel gear, and will order their H/T gear for regular customers who beg for it. He told me he stopped selling them because he is sick of taking them back. The intergrated amps almost never come back. Look around, many local dealers are dropping NAD, and I honestly think it is because of their H/T line. I don't know if they corrected their problems in the last year or two, but I would stay away from them....This coming from a guy called NADMAN...

If your looking for 2 channel stuff... NAD hands down...
If your looking for H/T... I'd go with Marantz or Arcam (if you can afford Arcam)...I'm no H/T expert though
If your looking for speakers... Check out PSB. They make a great speakers at great prices.
Keep in mind, the biggest audible difference in your system is the speakers. If you want to hear a big upgrade, first replace your speakers

JDMeyer
Unregistered guest
Too bad a nice post had to turn into people bashing one system/speaker over another. I'm a serious audiophile who's been in hiding for a while. Got married a year ago and have bit by bit brought in my electronics to our entertainment room. I found this post because I've been searching for amps/receivers that would be best matched with my 901's. Cinda, don't be discouraged by the bose bashers. Personally I have had my share of exasperation with these speakers. They are difficult to match to any new A/V amp. I had separates with a pre-amp that had pre-outs that I could send the signal to a separate amplifier to run my 901's. Then I had another pre-out to a receiver to run the surround speakers. I can tell you that the hodgepodge of components and connections I pieced together to get these damn speakers to combine with a stereo/home thearter system caused a lot of distress and discouragement on my part. My Old System: Yamaha C80 control amp, Yamaha M80 power amp, Carver TFM-45 Sub Amp, then various cd, dvd, equalizers, etc. The M80 ran my 901's with power to spare and my carver ran a 15" sub in a band pass end table. the M80 is 250 watts and the carver was 375. This system sounded incredible. Extrememly loud but smooth and rich with no clipping or distortion. I've owned my 901's since 1986 and they are mint condition. Sometimes in their original box, sometimes out, depending on where I live. Well to answer your question:
With my new living arrangements, the wife doesn't like the huge stack of components with the bouncing lights and meters etc, I had to cut down on the space taken by the system. The 901's do require a good bit of clean power and they require a receiver that has either a tape monitor or pre-out to connect your active eq to (another source of frustration). I've been researching for a year or so now and with my power hungry personality I settled on the Marantz SR9200. A few years ago the top of the Marantz line. They now have the 9600 which has a few extra features. Anyway, the 9200 retailed for 2999.00 but I got it on clearance for 1499.00. I hooked it up last night and remembered why I bot the 901's. Anyway, the Marantz receiver took the place of 3 components and drives the 901's like a champ. 140 watts into 8 ohms and extremely clean. No hiss or crackel. Just absolute silence except for the music. Put on a little Dave Mathews and listen to the clarity. Every tiny nuance of Dave's grip on the guitar makes it feel like he is right in your living room with you. Even with all the headaches that come with these speakers they bring tears to my eyes when I play them. I absolutely love them and will never part with them. I may use another speaker from time to time but I will always have them.

Username: Dguss

Madera, California

Post Number: 2
I was always under the assumption that my Onkyo TX-DS 939 was "entry level equipment", considering some of the outrageous prices I've seen on other "high end equipment." I personally can't afford those ridiculous prices. They're for the Bill Gates of the world. I do know that my Onkyo sounds great with no hissing, no cracking, and no distortion. For me, I'll stick with my Onkyo. I'm sure the NAD is nice, but I've never heard of them. Thanks Gavin!

Silver Member

Post Number: 361
JD,

If you're happy with your 901s then that's the final verdict, of course.

I am curious about one thing though: what other speakers have you ever personally auditioned and/or owned besides the 901s?

JDMeyer
Unregistered guest
Edster,
I have several sets that I alternate with depending on my living situation. Space constraints, neighbors etc. I live near boston in a very densly populated area so you can imagine the predicament I have with 500+ watts and 901's. I have a set of Boston Acoustics front mains (one 10", one 6", and a horn tweeter, can't remember the model) that I usually swap with the 901's depending on where I'm living. I also have a set of smaller DCM's. The Boston's are very rich and full sounding and a good substitute when I'm not using my 901's. The DCM's are usually used for the rear speakers but they are in my bedroom right now. I know there are far superior speakers to 901's and I've heard some amazing systems. A friend of mine has Paradigms that are truly amazing. Back when I bought my 901's I was torn between the Klipsch Forte's and the 901's. Fate had it that I bot the 901's as the Forte's had a 3 month lead time. I was overseas in the military and the 901's were in stock... Also, I had a system in my car that I had entered in competition with BA's, Orion Subs, and 2 Soundstream Amp's that did fairly well in the SPL and overall categories so I do have more than average knowledge and understanding of what a quality sound system consists of and a bit of an enthusiast but not a true audiophile... whatever that is...

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
JD,

Well if I had to guess I'd say that you probably prefer what's usually referred to as a "bright" sound, which is how many people characterize BA and Klipsch. (DCM I'm not familiar with.) So the fact that you found the Paradigms "truly amazing" is surprising, since Paradigms are generally regarded as "warm" speakers.

Oh well, like I said if you're happy with what you have then who am I to say anything? It's good to see that you do have wider audio experience; most people who rave about their Bose speakers usually do so after upgrading from something really cheap and crappy like Sony speakers at Best Buy.

You might find this article interesting, in any case:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 842
Im different from most people, and rate speakers as either "rich" or "dull". Reading this, you might think I like bright speakers, but that isnt necessarily the case because some bright speakers arent rich, while warm speakers can be.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us