Bass management of different inputs by receiver

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 92
I'm considering adding a subwoofer to my 5.0 setup and would appreciate some insight as to how receivers typically handle bass mgmt for different inputs. I have an NAD 773. Do I have this correct:
1. digital inputs, e.g. dvd player: frequencies below crossover Hz selected on receiver setup are sent to spkrs set to large and/or subwoofer
2. 5.1 analog inputs: bass mgmt is completely handled by universal player (all receiver bass mgmt settings do not apply to these inputs, including large/small, crossover, speaker distance and delay)

I think I have that right, but I'm much less certain about how bass from a CD player is handled:
1. if using digital input: bass is handled like a DVD player? (see no. 1 above)
2. if using 2 channel analog inputs and playing music in stereo, what happens then? Do the receiver's bass mgmt settings affect this input, or do they have no affect (as w/the 5.1 analog inputs)? If the former, am I correct that setting the front speakers to large will mean NO bass goes to the subwoofer, and setting to small will result in all frequencies below the crossover (selected at the receiver) will go to the sub? If the receiver's bass mgmt settings have no effect on this input, does that mean the sub is useless w/stereo material through analog inputs? I guess my question boils down to, is it worth buying a sub for 2 channel music?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 330
i think you are mixing up bass management with signal processing. neither a DVD player nor a CD player need to do any bass or sound management for that matter. all they do is signal processing. if they did do bass management then you would have a sub out on both no? for your question on stereo music, i would first check and see if anything is being sent ouf of the sub out in stereo mode. i know there are quite a few HT recievers that do not output to the sub in stereo mode so you may never get any use of it in stereo mode. I am sure someone else can answer your questions a little better. hope this helps a little bit.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 437
bigfan asked:

1. if using digital input: bass is handled like a DVD player? (see no. 1 above)

Usually any input except 6-channel analog, yes. Some receivers can also do bass management globally (a single setting for any input) or differently for any input. In that case, you could use a lower sub frequency for CDs than you do for DVDs (for example).

On the 6-channel analog input, the sub channel is already separated out by the bass management is handled by the universal player.

2. if using 2 channel analog inputs and playing music in stereo, what happens then?

The receiver's bass management is used. Some receiver do no bass management in "direct mode". My h/k does enable the sub when "surround off" (stereo) is selected on 2-channel inputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us