Completely new..please help me out

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 188
ive always been into car audio but now im getting an appartment and want it to sound good. i have no idea what i need to buy thought. for a simple bass setup what do i need? just an amp and a sub? do receivers provide enough watts to run a sub, so i wouldnt need an amp? help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
can anyone give me some recommendations?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 319
unlike in car audio, in most home audio subs, the amp is built in unless you buy a passive sub which will require a sub amp. most recievers now have a sub out line so the sub amp can handle amplification. recievers are typically used to just drive speakers, though you can wire a reciever to the sub first then use the subs line outs to connect the speakers. i think it would be useful to know what kind of music/applications the system will be for, your budget, are you going to be doing 2-channel or HT, what you care about in you system, stuff like that. from what you have written i can only assume that you basically only care about bass. if you are on a tight budget you can probably get a cheap onkyo stereo reciever for like $200 or $250 and maybe some Cerwin Vega bookshef speakers for like $200. you could get a cheap sony sub for like $100 that will make noise but not much more than that or invest a little and get a decent sub from companies like velodyne,hsu, svs or maybe even CV. but we first gotta know some answers to the questions i posed to you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
well right now i have an $80 powered sub (acoustic authority which comes with 2 speakers) its actually a great deal for the money, but the bass is distorted often. i usually listen to rap and techno, which both produce low-end bass. i would only want to spend like 350, if its not possible to make a difference from my setup now with this money, than ill stick with what i got. i just figured ide be able to get somethin a lot better with around $350.
dont get me wrong, i am more into sound quality but do enjoy some pounding bass every once in awhile. could i possibly get a good sounding, loud home system for under $350? thanks for the help

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
ok i did a quick searh and i think i found the speaker system you have. is it the Acoustic Authority A-3780? if it is then i am guessing you are running music from your computer correct? in that case, i would stick to computer speakers for now until you can get a bigger budget. its easy to get a really cheap stereo system that sounds, well cheap. you can however get a pretty decent set of multimedia speakers that can kich @ss. i would suggest looking into Logitech and Klipsch for some quality computer speakers. the flagship models from both companies are pretty well regarded. both are 5.1 systems with fairly large subs. the klipsch comes with a 8" dual firing sub, the logitech comes with a front firing 8" sub. both are in the wattage range of like 500. from what i remember from reviews the logitechs might suit you better. they do not have tweeters but their midrange and bass is supposed to be better than the Klipsch system. with $350 its really hard to get a suitable stereo system. I would say wait till you have atleast $500-$700 and get some used equipment. used home audio usually stands up pretty well and can be bough pretty cheap. hope that helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
one more thing to add, in comparison to car audio, it is much harder and more expensive to get good quality sound. the reason why i asked for a budget is home audio gear has a totally different price range than car audio. i dont know of many or any car speakers that cost upwards of $20,000 each or amps that can cost just as much. of course those stuff are really things for the ultimate rich people. there is the possibility of getting quality HT setups for less than $3000 if the money is well spent. just wanted to give you a perspective of the price for quality home audio. not to say that home audio is isolated for the rich, or to be elitist.

Silver Member

Post Number: 323
actually i just remember one company that sells HT sets pretty cheap but the fronts are massive floorstanders. go to www.fluance.com and you will see some really cheap speakers. i think the cheapest set they have is $200. i think the problem will be the need for a reciever. but just a suggsetion that may lead you to saving up for a larger budget if the pc speakers are not what you want.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 268
db,

$350 is tough. Try this:

1. Dayton 10" powered sub, $140 shipped from partsexpress.com --- said by many to be the best value for under $400 subs.

2. Fluance SV-6 bookshelves, $100 from fluance.com

3. Denon dra-395 refurb, $154 shipped from ecost.com

That's just $50 over your budget but the Denon would be well worth it.

Otherwise if you go with the comptuer speaker/sub route then I'd suggest the Logitech Z-2300 which has a 120w subwoofer...real boomy but just elevate it and play with positioning to lesen that. Around $110 shipped from Amazon.com

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 will have better mids and highs but the sub isn't as powerful, ditto with the Altech Lansing MX2051.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 469
I'd recommend the Xbox Surround Sound System, for $500. I fully expected it to be crap, but was surprised how well it performs.

Based around the Mirage Omnisat technology it doesn't need a lot of watts to deliver a full sound and can be upgraded with new DSPs and even digital formats like Dolby 7.1 when released, it can also be upgraded from 5.1 to 7.1.

If you're strictly looking for 2 channel, something like the Logitech Z-2300 may be more suitable at a lower price, but at less than $500 the Spherex Xbox system is hard to beat when it comes to getting good quality room filling sound.

http://stage.spherexinc.com/products_xbox51.aspx

FRONT (135 Hz ~ 20 kHz, 0.3 % T.H.D. at one channel driven) 55W + 55 W
SUBWOOFER (40 Hz ~ 114 Hz, 1.5 % T.H.D. at one channel driven) 102W
Effective power output during SURROUND operation*

FRONT (110 Hz ~ 20 kHz, 0.3 % T.H.D. at one channel driven) 55W + 55 W
CENTER (110 Hz ~ 20 kHz, 0.3 % T.H.D. at one channel driven) 55 W
SURROUND (140 Hz ~ 20 kHz, 0.3% T.H.D. at one channel driven) 16 W + 16 W
SUBWOOFER (40 Hz ~ 114 Hz, 1.5 % T.H.D. at one channel driven) 102 W

FRONT (1 kHz, 10 % T.H.D. at one channel driven) 70 W + 70 W
CENTER (1 kHz, 10 % T.H.D. at one channel driven) 70 W
SURROUND (1 kHz, 10 % T.H.D. at one channel driven) 24 W + 24 W
SUBWOOFER (100 Hz, 10 % T.H.D. at one channel driven) 110 W