Receiver Brand Rankings (Bright, Warm, etc.)

RalfB
Unregistered guest
As one who is in the market for a new A/V receiver, I would like to how everyone feels on the "sound" of various brands of receivers. I've used NAD integrated amps and receivers since 1980, and like the full and robust sound of NAD. However, I'm not sure (?) that this is necessarily the "right" sound for watching DVD's, etc. The receiver will be dedicated to video, and not do double-duty as a 2-channel stereo receiver. How would you rank the following brands in the $750 to $1000 range: Denon, Marantz, NAD, Rotel, and Yamaha??

Sarandon
Unregistered guest
well as far as i know

Denon is bright (but IMHO I think Denon is Warm)
Marnatz, Rotel and NAD is incredibly warm
Yamaha is bright (again IMHO i think that all Yamaha's are bright, and detailed and accurate. but the new Yamaha's are now starting to shy away from it's bright sounding trademark.)
Really it is up to your ears to decide the right receiver for you.

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 31
RalfB,
I think the rankings of brands will depend on the listener, but my advice is not to rule out a NAD AV receiver without first listening to it. My HT system consists of a NAD receiver with KEF sat/sub speakers and I find it very satisfying for watching movies. I actually use a different system for listening to music so the NAD performs mainly HT duties.

Username: Bloz

PA

Post Number: 2
The biggest thing to concentrate on is how does it sound to you. Different speakers can magnify or mask shortcomings and strongpoints to reciever. Easiest thing to do grab your five favorite cd's and go shopping.

Bronze Member
Username: Gdawg

Canada

Post Number: 90
Pioneer ELite-Warm and Musical
Denon-Bright and Dry
Harman Kardon-Dark and warm (quite a bit laid back)
NAD-Warm and Solid Sounding but also Bright, not quite neutral but closer than most.
Rotel-Very warm and quite laid back
Kenwood-Bright and "sketchy" sounding
Sony-Bright(ES arent as bright but still are)I havent done any"hardcore listening"with a Sony, mostly because I like my ears.
JVC-EXTREMELY bright and too forward for my liking
Yamaha-Bright and laid back(upper are almost Neutral

Thats my opinion...

G.DawG

Steve A
Unregistered guest
Has anyone had the chance to audition the Pioneer Elite VSX 59 TXI receiver. And can you comment on how you think the Energy C-7 and C-3 speakers will match up with the pioneer Elite line.

Thanks....

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 91
Steve,
I own the 59TXi. It would match up well with Energy speakers because they are bright and a little forward. Bring one home and try it out for yourself.

Steve A
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the response G.DawG...Can you comment on the 2channel music sound on the 59. I am likely to listen to music and on occasion watch a movie. I currently listen to music on my vintage Pioneer SX1250 and it is excellent. I watch movies through my Yamaha RXV 3300. The 3300 is great with movies dvd audio, however, it is missing that warm sound that I like with the 2channel cd music. What do you think? Thanks Steve

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 92
If you are used to hearing a Yamaha 3300, then the 59 should amaze you. The Yamaha is a harsh sounding receiver, and the Elite should get you listening to every album you have again.

Through comparison they arent even close. Especialy since the 3300 clips at 72wpc (ACD) The Elite 59 clips at 158wpc.

G.DawG

J
Unregistered guest
Steve what you also have to remember the Pioneer Elite VSX-59TXi is their flagship receiver and the Yammi RX-V3300 is the step down receiver from the now obsolete RX-Z1. So of course the comparisons are not close. If you want a comaparison try the 59TXi against the RX-Z9 and let your ears decide.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 15
i don't think that nad is anywhere near bright sounding. my onkyo 55w/ch dts recieves has alot more treble speed and extension than my (headroom included) similarly rated nad stereo reciever. i was pleasantly surprised that my onkyo actually images better than the nad despite being a 5 channel that was cheaper than 2 channels nads.

speakers need to be thought of when picking amps though. nad would be a nice match for B&Ws as they have ALOT of treble extension and could stand a little bit of warming over. with more polite silk dome tweeters, i wouldn't go with nad. my superzeros like onkyo better than nad. i'm not using full range speakers though. nad could possibly have better bass authority.

when i get 4 ohm magnepans, THEN i'll go with nad again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us