Equipment Check for a external Amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Disco_stan

Post Number: 71
Just recently I bought a Yamaha 630 receiver for a very good price($290 brand new out of the box) and now Im looking into getting a external amp for the fronts. Right now I'm looking at the NAD C270 from Sat. Audio for $400 along with PSB Image 6T fronts. What interconnects and wires would be mostly recommened on a budget?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 381
matt:

You would be hard pressed to find a better combo for your needs than the NAD C270 with the PSB speakers. I think it is an excellent choice that should provide you with a lot of listening pleasure.

For audio interconnects, I would strongly recommend checing with Parts Express (www.partsexpress.com). I have purchased and used their in-house brand Dayton Audio, and I have been very pleased with the results. Here is the link to their Cables Index--simply click on the RCA Multi Audio link:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=59

The nicest part is that they do not cost an arm and a leg, yet provide quality comparable to Monster Cable products. A three foot pair of Dayton Audio interconnects costs ~$12 compared to a comparable Monster Cable pair which cost $30-40.

As for speaker wire, they also have a nice selection of speaker wire that can meet your needs--check out the value of a good 16 gauge speaker wire under the brand anmes Sound King or Pheonix Gold, both of which are very good speaker wire, particularly if you are on a budget. Here is the link for their speaker wire:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=56&Object Group_ID=374

Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 80
As Hawk mentioned above, Parts Express is an excellent source. I recommend Sound King 12Ga OFC. You can wire your multi channel system with 12 Ga. Use Part #100-150 for 50ft. If you need more, go with Part #100-155 and order 100Ft since it's less than $0.30/foot

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Thanks a lot Hawk and Heff, you will make my online shoping a lot easier.

And one other thing, when I was at Ultimate Electronics I saw a speaker cable that had a box at the end where you probably hook it up to the speaker. Does that box elimate any unwanted distortion or noise? I think that cable was $500/8 feet.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 256
It certainly won't eliminate any audible noise or distortion. But it will eliminate any unwanted cash from your wallet.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 384
Matt:

I think that "box" is akin to the ferrite "donut" you often find on the connecting cable of a computer CRT--its purpose is to absorb any stray RF interference. However, I would agree with G-man that its impact is minimal and only succeeds in nuking your wallet--hey, I thought you were on a budget? Snap out of it! All you really need is good interconnects and good speaker wire, which is readily available for far less money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Haha, no I just was looking at that and thinking WTF, you know, just checking things out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us