Pioneer DV-588A-S

Username: El_zorro37

Post Number: 4
This new model arrived last week. This is the replacement for the DV-578A-S. I connected this universal player via optical digital and multi-channel analog inputs to my Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX receiver.

This is a very compact package and is very light weight. The tag on the back says it is made in Thailand. Setup was pretty simple, I like the menu system better than my Toshiba DVD player.

SACDs only play through the analog outputs and essentially bypass all of the DSP on the receiver. Contrary to some of the reports on the 578, the volumes seems adequate on the analog outputs. Bass tones actually seem to be stronger through my main tower drivers. Subwoofer volumes seems to be subdued.

DVD Audio - same as above.

DVD Video - plays through the digital optical outputs and allows to play DVD-audio to all 8 speakers. Sound doesnt seem as bright and detailed using this mode.

DiVX- I havent played any of these yet. This is the main feature that has been added to the 588 compared to the 578.

Overall, I am pleased with this purchased especially since I got it for $106 including shipping direct from Pioneer.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 459
Steve Z.

Interesting. Thanks for the report.

Username: Drsilkini

Post Number: 1
I was just told by a salesman that he thought the Pioneer DV-578A has vastly superior progressive scan and picture than the newer, DV-588A-S. He said that on the DV-588A-s, they compromised the picture quality in order to be able to play divx discs.

Of course he did not have the DV-588A-S in yet, so maybe he was just trying to get rid of the last of the DV-578A-S's.

He said that all the manufactrureres were trying to make the players cheaper with more features, hence the compromised picture.

Divx is not that important to me so,(Should it be??) but DVD-A and SACD are.

Should I take his word and jump on the DV-578A-S, or wait for the DV-588A-S?

Does anyone have any thoughts? Or has seen the two and know the performance?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Username: El_zorro37

Post Number: 5
Not sure about the difference in video chipset between the two players. I bought mine direct from Pioneer and can call the direct rep back to ask him that question. I think the sampling rate and clock speed on the DSP is listed as the same between the DV-578A-S and DV-588A-S. The list price did go down for some reason, so you could be right that they reduced the part count on the chipset. However, whether this reduced the picture quality I'm not sure. I have a different DVD player (Toshiba) for my videos so this is less important to me than audio. My Toshiba has an HDMI output so I find the picture is better. I did watch a DVD on the DV-588A-S through component outputs and there was noticeable difference between it and the Toshiba using the component outputs. This is using a Panasonic AE700 projector showing a 112" screen.

Username: Frablac

West Hartford, CT USA

In a hot market, quality roll-back on a replacement model seems highly unlikely: silicon is cheap. Sounds like a salesman trying to push existing inventory. $109 shipped is a great deal, $21 better than whatI was about to commit to. But,I cannot find any direct sales on pioneerelectronics.com . Tell me how to order, I want one.

Username: Zibawal

Can 588a-s be made region free?

Bronze Member
Username: Urlacher

Post Number: 13
hey guys, I'm considering this player but am wondering if i can use my onkyo 6.1 receiver with it and still get my 6.1 dolby digital EX sound? I know it says it is Dolby Digital Virtual Surround which means it creates a 5.1 feeling from flat panel TV's. I'm hardly and expert and was wondering if someon could help me with this. Thanks.

Username: Vfx

Post Number: 3
Steve, can you show link to buy the player for that price?

Unregistered guest
WoW that DvD divx Player KICK A-SS !!! the dvd Pioneer dv-588A-S on a Pioneer Elite VSX-1015tx and a projector Toshiba MT200 what a perfect Combo :P the sound i perfect and the picture is A1 that a small dvd player at a low price and a Good Quality :-)

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 384
In case somebody's still interested in the DD EX issue: It should be working, as long as you use digital interconnect (optical or coaxial). The EX is encoded within Left and Right surround channels. An EX featured receiver figure out that there is stuff to send to a 6th channel, a non-compatible don't.

But if you use the 5.1 analogue out, there is no EX going to receiver. Simply because player do the DD decoding and send it to 5 channels, not 6. It is then within analogue domain, and there is no way for reciever to figure out what was encoded digitally.

(The above is likewisely true for DTS ES.)

Cheers
AL

Jed G
Unregistered guest
Quick question: I understand this model has 5.1 CH RCA output in order to send audio information to a pre-amp or "Dolby Digital Ready" receiver. I have an older receiver with 6 CH inputs, but no digital audio line-in capabilities. Will I be able to watch DVDs in surround through this player utliizing the RCA audio outs, or is the 5.1 CH solely limited to DVD-A & SACD audio output?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 494
Yes you will. The player will decode all the formats you've listed and send the signal to your receiver. Watch, listen, and enjoy.

Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a Pioneer DV-588A-S and tested it against my 4 year old Panasonic DVD player. I am more interested in sound quality than picture at this point, and based on all the reviews I've read, the Pioneer was very good for the price. After testing the Pioneer against my Panasonic on a Yamaha RXV457 receiver just using the analog outputs on both, it was quite obvious to my ears my old Panasonic sounded much better. I checked all the audio settings, making sure it was only on two channel and still, the Panasonic simply blew away the Pioneer. Instruments were more 3-dimesional and was more natural (warmer) sounding on the Panasonic. Needless to say I returned the Pioneer the next day. Does anyone have any suggestions based on my receiver and the setup which may shed some light on the difference in audio output between the the Pioneer and my old Panasonic?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us