Suggest speakers for Marantz SR7400

Anonymous

Would you be so kind to suggest bookshelf speakers to couple with a Marantz SR7400 in a 20' x 20' room that is on the bright side? I'd like to limit price to about $1000 for the pair. The system will be used about 40/60 HT/Music. Some steps are being taken to address the room brightness (drapes, furniture, rug). I will audition your suggestions. My music taste includes jazz, classical. My wife loves Country and I don't mind it.

To those of you who like to kidnap threads with nonsense arguments, please stay away. I will not purchase speakers I can't audition like GMA Europa, Ohm Micro's, etc. Also, I don't care for you to tell me that the way to go are floorstanders - it may be true, but there is no chance of getting them past my wife.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 23
The first speaker that comes to mind is Paradigm's Reference Studio 40 v.3. I like Paradigm but I wouldn't let that stop me from also looking at offerings from B&W, Dynaudio, JMLab, KEF, Monitor Audio and PSB.

Anonymous

Jim, I have auditioned Paradigm Studio 40's and like them a lot. However, many threads characterize Paradigms as "laid back" and Marantz as "warm". Do you agree with that? Wouldn't the warm receiver and laidback speakers add up to a "muddy" sound? Who knows, maybe that's what my bright room needs.

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 86
I've got Studio 20's on a 5400 & it sounds good to me.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 298
I agree with Chris and Jimvm. I must add that I have read that Paradigm speakers are laid back. I don't know where folks get that. The Reference series is neutral. The satin anodized metal dome tweeter gives about as neutral a high end as I've heard for the price or I wouldn't have just bought a pair of Studio 40's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Anon - Though others may, I do not subscribe to the theory that there are vast audible variances in the sound of modern, solid state amplifiers. The frequency responses of today's audio components are so flat that we simply do not have the auditory ability to discriminate between them. All other things being equal, I do not believe that you (or 99.9% of the population) would be able to distinguish the difference in sound between a Marantz SR7400 and a comparable receiver. Any differences heard by anyone would be so minute as to be negligible.

I believe the things that have the most important impact on the sound are the speakers and room acoustics.

Before some of you members (and non-members) write to tell me that I don't know sh*t from shinola, let me say that the above is my opinion. According to at least one member of this forum, my opinion is worthless, but I am entitled to it. I did not offer it with intent of debating it. I will not debate it. If any of you believe you can easily discern differences between comparable receivers, you have my hearty congratulations. The only thing which would cause me to change my opinion would be if someone could furnish me with the specifics of any published double blind listening tests which prove otherwise. I've not seen any to date.

Anonymous

Chris, Arthur, Jim. Great posts. Thanks.
You all agree that Paradigm Studio 40 and 20 would be a great match for the Marantz. What's the big difference between them? I will use a subwoofer, so, can I go with the 20 and save money? Will the 20's "fill" the room?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
See this: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/133917.html

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 220
I respectfully disagree with Jimvm. Speakers and room acoustics are key, but in my experience a close second is the receiver/amp.

When I upgraded an Onkyo 601 ($300) for a Marantz 5400 ($550), I could hear a big improvement in sound quality in music listening. With HT, it was harder to distinguish.

I have also heard significant differences between a pure digital JVC receiver ($230) and the Marantz---the second was warmer but the JVC was definitely more detailed.

Where I have trouble hearing significant differences is not between low-fi and mid-fi, but mid-fi and hi-fi.

Anonymous

edster, do you own both the Marantz and the JVC? I am quite intrigued by the Panasonic SA-XR70. Maybe not for this set-up but probably for another room in the house (affectionately called the kids' game room). I've been hesistant about buying the SA-XR70. Does the JVC sound brighter? Electronicky (what a word!)?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 305
Edster, trust me, you would eventually pay for that detail with listener fatigue.

Anonymous, The Studio 20's are a great speaker. I like the fuller sound of the 40's but they both fill approximately the same amount of space and if you are using a sub it's totally about your preference.

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
Only the Marantz, but I auditioned the JVC when I auditioned the Ascend 340s because that's what the guy was running them off of for stereo listening, then he had a Marantz 7100 in a different room for HT running the Ascend 170s.

From what I've read, the JVC is supposed to be better for music and the Panny better for HT. If you go for the Panny I'd wait a week or two for the sa-xr55 to come out, you can pre-order for $250 at jandr.com and it seems to have more connections, slightly bigger box, and thank God actual binding posts.

JandR have an excellent return policy BTW, that's where I sent my 601 back to. Took them almost 3 weeks to refund the money but zero hassle otherwise. Just out $30 return shipping; should be a lot less for the much lighter Panny.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
Arthur,

I'm curious, how much direct listening have you done with the all digitals?

Right now I'm thinking that as soon as Best Buy or CC stocks them I'll do a home audition of them just to make sure. That JVC really did sound fabulous though!

The owner did call their sound "analytical" and has since upgraded to some Audio Refinement separates but he said that was mainly because he had to put the receiver in an enclosed cabinet for WAF reasons and the JVC was getting too hot without the open space.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 308
I have not had one in my home, but I have listened to them in various levels of quality. I have a digital amp in my sub and that is where they should stay for now. When audio folks say analytical it ain't good.

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 87
Back to the original question, the 20's are the smallest in the Reference line, the 40's are a bit bigger. For my room (fairly small & with close neighbors) to 20's are more than enough, though I will be adding a smaller HSU sub at a later time. I would expect the 40's will be better able to fill a larger space.

The receiver does make a subtle difference to my hearing, Marantz being a more balanced sound--as many here say, warmer.

For me, moving from very-lo-fi to the mid-fi range, I'm hearing a lot more going on than I used to in both movies and music--but it isn't fatiguing to me.

Anonymous

I will audition the 20's and 40's to see how I feel about them. I have never heard the 20's, but I have auditioned the 40's a couple of times and enjoyed them quite a bit. I even auditioned the S2's but those are not in my league (but boy do they sound beautiful specially when powered by Krell).

The other speakers that I have enjoyed are Dynaudio 52's, and B&W 805. They are all very different in the way they sound. The Dyn's were very clean. The B&W sounded great with Jazz but they are more expensive than I want to pay, so, for the time being they are out of the race.

There is no PSB dealer around. Shame, I would have liked to listen to them since they get good marks from lots of people.

I listened to Monitor Audio and did not like them. They were too bright for my taste. The best model I listened to was the GR 10 but I would not purchase it.

I have not had a chance to audition JMLabs. Any series in particular?

Thanks for all the help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Anon - If you liked the B&W 805's but they were too expensive, try the 705's; they are excellent and $1000 less than the 805's. I have to say though that for almost half the price of the 705's, the Studio 20's sound about 80% as good.

The JMLab speakers are nice. I think you're going to be looking at the Chorus S or above. I auditioned the Chorus 707 S's; very sweet sounding.

I've never heard Dynaudios but they are universally praised by others.

Anonymous

I may have even tested the B&W 705. I am not sure. There was a model of B&W that I hated for it sounded as muddy as it can possibly get. The 805 not only sounded superb, but I think they look stunning.

The Dynaudio's are really wonderful. For such a small box they really pack a powerful bass. I auditioned them powered by Rotel separates - an enviable combination. The one drawback of the Dyn's is that they really are power hungry. My personal opinion is that I would not do them justice if I ran them with a receiver rather that with some quality amp. As you can see the $$$-trail keeps growing.

I will research the JMLab and try to audition them.

Any opinion on Vandersteen? A local dealer who also carries Energy, suggested that I audition those.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us