Help with receiver

Anonymous

Hello I am in high school looking to upgrade my current stereo set-up. I do not have much money to spend, but I would like decent sound. Right now I am using an old h/k 380i stereo receiver and I would like to replace it, and eventually replace my speakers as well.

I have been looking at a few stereo receivers but I am quite lost and I do not know what is actually good. There is no way that I will be able to spend more than $500 on this, I would like to spend less if at all possible.

So far I have checked out the h/k hk3480 as well as the denon dra-395 because they both seem to be decent receivers that are in my price range. I am planning to use the new receiver just for playing music. Would either of these receivers be a good option for my budget and needs or are there some other options that I have missed?

Also would it be worth it to look into some bstock or refurbished receivers?

Thank you, any help is greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Harbolt

Post Number: 52
What kind of speakers will you be using?

Username: Gfw

Post Number: 1
Some old BIC venturis and Boston Actoustics (not sure of the model on either) until I have money to buy something new.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
In my opinion, if you are just using the receiver for listening to music, the HK you have now is probably fine. I used an HK for many years and the older ones, in my opinion, are better made than the newer ones. They have a great sound and are very reliable. Most of the receivers out there today are geared to home theater. If you are not planning on using the receiver for home theater right now, I would not waste your money on a cheaper one. I would continue to use the HK and save your money for when you are ready for a nice surround sound receiver. That way, you can get a nice one and not have to worry about upgrading for awhile. That is just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

Brent

Post Number: 2
If I did stay with this receiver, do you have any speaker reccomendations for me? What would be fairly inexpensive but sound nice?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Geoff. Here again. If you are going to wait on your receiver, I would wait on your speakers as well. I am still using my original speakers I bought back in 1992. A lot of times, people will match their speakers to their receivers. What speaker system sounds good with one receiver, might not sound so good with another. So, I would wait until you are ready to get a nice surround receiver and then match your speaker system accordingly. I am sure that your Bostons don't sound too bad now. Just a thought.

Brent

Post Number: 3
They are BA A70s but I just discovered the that cones are in horrible condition and I can't hook them up...the BIC's are even older (from the 1970s I believe) and they aren't in great shape either...a tweeter is the only part of one of them that works. It looks like I am going to have to stay with my cheap technics for a while longer. The BA's might be worth fixing, but I don't think I feel like spending any money on the BIC's.

Do you think that it is worth it to get the BA's fixed?

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
I like the old A60/70's- pretty mellow sounding- and a little light on bass. You can find them on ebay for usually less than $100 per pair for decent units. I have seen the 60's go as low as $30 for a clean/working pair. Shipping is always going to be $30+ or so though.

The A70 Ser.II were the first pair of speakers I ever bought- for something like $250 back in 1989. Foam kits are $20- so- you could repair- if the x-overs/ cabinets are in decent shape. Guess you just need to do the math.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us